OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CZ 550 or Tikka T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankx45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CZ 550 or Tikka T3
    Posted: June/28/2007 at 10:22
Looking to pick up a CZ 550 or T3 hunter in 6.5x55. I could get the CZ for $535 and the tikka for $619. I know the tikka would be a shooter and lighter but is there anything bad about the CZ? I am not familar with their rifles.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2007 at 12:24

i can't speak on the CZ 550 personally, but i have heard good things.

I CAN however comment on the Tikka T3 - for the money, it would be hard-pressed to find an equal.

The trigger breaks like glass and is adjustible to lightweight.  The accuracy is guaranteed out of the box to be sub MOA.

Mine is a tackdriver.  My only complaint w/ CZ (i just bought a rimfire today) is their factory triggers.  not that great.

either will probably get the job done, but i would have bought a tikka T3 rimfire today, if they made one.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 08:57
I can only speak for the Tikka.  I find it to be a very good rifle altogether and would make a fine moutain rifle, given it's light weight.  I have a review of mine in a 25-06, somewhere on this site.  There you will see a direct comparison to a Wby. Vanguard, which I believed was a slightly better rifle, for the reasons noted.  My biggest complaint about the Tikka, is the small ejection port.  If I am not incorrect the actions are investment casted and the small port is suppose to help maintain rigidity to the receiver, for improved accuracy.  Well the Tikka is plenty accurate, but I am not sure that is the reason, as many another rifle is just as accurate with large ejection ports.  The small port becomes a problem when you do not pull back hard enough on the bolt to eject the spent case and it remains in the rifle.  Well, if you have large fingers, good luck fishing it out quickly, especially if you are hunting.  At the bench, it make take a few seconds, but hunting, it could cost you necessary follow-up shot.  Same problem with my Steyr-Mannlicher Forester in a .260 Remington.

Edited by Dolphin
frankx45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankx45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 10:59
I went ahead and ordered a CZ 550 American in 6.5X55. I figured I'd try this rifle out since I just picked up a Sako 85 hunter. Thanks for all the comments.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 13:51

sounds good - let us know how you like it. 

if you need a better trigger, rifle basix has some good ones.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic