OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dpms Tac 20 .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dpms Tac 20 .308
    Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:03

Ok guy's heres my set up...DPMS Tac20..Want her be be a all around fighting weapon..not a bench beauty. Need help picking out a scope...thinking of going with  something good for CQB and mid-range.

IOR 2-12x32..35mm

Nightforce 2.5-10x24

Accog ??.......This will be my primary cabin protection...not hunting. Please all suggestions welcome..thanks!!  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:17
I have a IOR 2-12x32 on my 6.5Grendel and I really like it as a combination close and mid-range optic that can reach pretty far out if need be.  I have shot out to 700 yards with it (the maximum distance at the range I go to) and was not hampered by the scope in any way.

ILya
pepper308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:25

Koshkin...I've heard you are the "king" here..LOL...thanks for the post..my main concern is i have heard that some scopes distort at the up close sighitings ? Been told that most confrontations are at less than 200 yrds....but I still want to be able to reach out and touch someone if needed.

I am really torn between the IOR and the Nightforce.

pepper308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:28
PS....also need help with mounting....La rue tactical ? and what rings ?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:38
If you are looking for something that leans a little more toward CQB and still has good mid-range capability, I would take a good look at IOR's 1.5-8x26 with CQB reticle (although to be honest I am pretty happy with my 2-12x32 with MP-8).  You will give up a little on the target acquisition speed compared to an EOtech or Aimpoint, but you will gain versatility.

Both IOR and Nightforce are good scopes.  I prefer IOR, personally, but you really can't go wrong with either.  Both are superb mechanically, but I think IOR's glass is a little better.  With Nightforce, I never liked the integrated side-focus/illumination knob.  I find IOR's rheostat more user-friendly.

ILya
pepper308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 23:54
 Koshkin...SOLD...IOR 2-12x32..was my first pick also....I will be placing my order monday..THANK YOU  !!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 01:21
Have you had a chance to look through both?  Nothing is as useful as looking through both with your own eyes.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 10:23

20in 308's aren't in the qcb group if a choice is avaliable, the mid range variables as koshkin suggests give much more versatility, parameter defence, cover fire, things civilians are more likely to encounter as opposed to clearing.

I'd go with the NF in compact with the fc-2 reticle.

gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 10:41
i assume its a 30mm tube........whats the objective diameter? and what height rings are you using?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 12:17
obj. 50 mm prw high-- the 2.5 would go about to the end of the receiver. same rings with correct check ht.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 19:35

Originally posted by pepper308 pepper308 wrote:

Koshkin...SOLD...IOR 2-12x32..was my first pick also....I will be placing my order monday..THANK YOU  !!!!

For a 20 in .308 that is a great choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 10:48
I would love to have the 2 - 12 IOR on my Grendel, guess I need to start saving my nickels! Right now I have a 10x Super Sniper on it and am very happy with it's performance, but I think I would be better served with the variable as I use it for hunting as well as punching paper. I have used this setup for hunting and it works well for sitting on top of a hill and waiting, but not as well for stalking type situations.
turinreza View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turinreza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 17:25

what about the ACOG TA55A with 308 reticle?

good out to 1000 yards and good for CBQ if need be (quick aquisition of targets)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic