OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold QR mounts How good are they?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold QR mounts How good are they?
    Posted: June/21/2007 at 07:58

I have used a set of Leupold QR mounts for shooting in excess of 100 rounds without removing the scope. The scope/mounts seem to hold zero pretty well. Today I shot two rounds marked A which grouped very well. I then removed the scope, wiped the base clean with a cloth, and replaced it. To remove the scope the release levers required a light tapping with a wooden mallet. After replacing the scope I again tapped the levers with about the same force to tighten them. I then fired two shots marked B. All shots taken at 100m.

The scope did a bit of a walkabout of some 1 and 1/4 inch. Will it have walked back to zero (on shots A) if I fired more shots? Regardless, the mounts did not return back to zero.  Ignore the stray shot, that was not part of the test.

I will test this on off system again, with cheaper ammo and see if it will walk back to zero.

I would love to see some other targets from people with QR mounts, with shots A and B.

Edited by 8shots
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 06:13

Ok, so I used the same target today and fired shots marked C. C1 is my fouling shot(me thinks). So the QR monts do not return to zero, but does not seem to "walk" but holds it new point of zero.

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 11:45

Holes marked red are from my .30-06 rem 7400 with Leupold vxI 1-4x24 shotgun scope and QR mounts.
This is my brush gun and I tested it at 65 yards it has heavy duplex reticle so it is hard to aim precisely at long distances,but as you can see-something is seriously wrong-I have to test it some more but I think that the scope is giving me trouble.
As I heard-the qr mounts should be tightened the same way every time you take it off.I tighten the front lever first,than the back.
Did you do it the same way?

PS. I am also sceptical about this mounts,but the price is OK,on my other rifle I have EAW mounts-but they are waaaaaay out of my budget for this rifle.

Cheers

Edited by Bender
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 15:45

Bender, thanks for the posting. Yes something seems very wrong. I did not follow a specific procedure. Just made sure the rings are properly in the base and tightened up. Not sure if from front to back.

I also looked at the EAW mounts. The price blew me, allmost a price of a new rifle. I was still prepared to go that route but one of our local product testing fundi was not too impressed, so I decided against the EAW.

How do you find the EAW??

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2007 at 06:19
Original EAW and Suhl claw mounts are simply the best removable mounts out there period.They are not suitable for self mounting  though - they must be properly installed and fine tuned by a competent gunsmith to work properly,but once they are mounted-they last a lifetime and return to zero every time. Their downside is of course the price and they are quite high-so the scopes with small objectives have plenty of room

as you can see in the picture-it is a 42 mm scope.
Claw mounts are other story and they involve much gunsmithing and are usually purchased in raw state,and skillfull gunsmith tailors them to the rifle(usually double rifles,combination rifles...) and they are even more expensive.
But I assure you -if you can afford EAW-go that route-you wont be dissapointed.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic