OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 7mm-08
    Posted: June/20/2007 at 15:17

Hello everybody! I've been reading posts on this forum for awhile now and I finally decided to post my own.

I just bought a Remington 700 in 7mm-08  and want to buy a scope for it. This will probably be my first and last scope for awhile so I want to do it right. I hunt in Nebraska so most of my shots are going to be between 100-150 yards with the occasional 200-250 yard shot across fields. It is going to be used mainly as a deer gun with some target shooting at the range. I don't want to spend more than $500 if I can help it but if one is considerably better than another I could wait alittle bit longer.

Here are the ones I was thinking about(in no particular order)
  1. Zeiss Conquest
  2. Bushnell 4200 Elite
  3. Burris Signature Select
  4. Leupold VX-III
  5. Sightron Bigsky

All the ones above would be a 3-9 or the next closest if it is not available in the particular model. I would appreciate your thoughts on the scopes above and any others you feel are world mentioning.

PS. What are the warrenties on the scopes above? I know that the leupold is lifetime but what about the others? Is it something that should hold some weight when buying one?

Thanks in advance.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 16:36
All of these are good choices.  I would recommend you go with a thicker reticle than a regular plex, since this is primarily a hunting gun. 

#4 reticle available in the Conquest is a good choice. 
Firefly reticle available in the the Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 is also good.

I'd probably go with one of these two.

ILya
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 17:45
Conquest first and 4200 elite second. Good advice about the reticles, although the #20 Z-Plex has always been sufficent for me in low light conditions. I believe all listed has some form of lifetime warranty.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Rem700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 19:09
Koshkin is there any reason you would go with the 2.5-10 as oppose to the 3-9 or is it just personal preference?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 19:16
2.5-10x is a better scope, but it is still well within his price range. Also, it is available with the Firefly reticle while 3-9x40 (I think) is not.

ILya
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 16:47
I would strongly recommend that you add the Weaver Grand Slam 50mm to your options.  I don't think that there is a better scope for the $ out there.  It spanked my Vari-X-III 4.5x14x50mm on a side by side comparison during an actual deer hunt.  At near dark I could count points with my buddy's Weaver when I could barely make out the deer with my Leupold.  I ate a healthy dose of humble pie that evening.  I was embarrassed at the inadequacy of my Leupold in low light.  I had thought that it was great.......until I experienced something better. 
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2007 at 20:26
I shoot a 7-08 and have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on it.  It's a great scope.  I also have 2 4200 Elites and think they are really under appreciated by many.  I would not recommend a larger objective bell on a hunting gun as it may cause challenges you don't want to deal with.
Triple S View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2007 at 19:26
I have a VX-III (3.5-10x40) mounted on a Remington Model 700 in 7mm-08 Rem (mountain rifle) and I am very pleased with the scope. I own both the Leupold and the Conquest. Honestly, it is a flip of a coin on which one I would mount on it again. You can not go wrong with either. Which one "looks" better too you? It's really that close of a call.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 00:27

I love my Conquest.  And I am thinking about getting the 3-9X40 because it has 4.0 constant eye relief.  That is a very attractive feature with great glass. 

Good luck

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2007 at 15:38

i would say get a conquest, elite, or bigsky - out of the ones mentioned.

buy as much as you can afford - you get what you pay for in midrange scopes.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic