OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

US Optics vs. European Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Optics vs. European Scopes?
    Posted: June/20/2007 at 02:46

Hi All,

I am considering buying a US Optics SN3 1.8-10x37 Slimline.

I have never looked through US Optics scope before but am quite curious and have read a lot of good about them (mostly on US forums, which isn’t surprising!).

Could someone who knows about them and has used an SN3, comment on the quality of optics as compared to top European glass (S&B, Zeiss etc.)? Is it similar, equivalent, better?

I know the mechanics and ruggedness of these scopes is second to none and am not concerned about this, but optical quality is another thing. I understand US Optics use Schott glass (although unconfirmed by US Optics), but what are their coatings like?

I am based in Europe so do not have many opportunities to look through a US Optics, but I have had Zeiss, Kahles, IOR and some top end Jap glass (Weaver Tactical, Bushnell Elite 4200 etc.) so could use these as a benchmark.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Piotr.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 03:10

I had a 3.2-17x 44mm SN-3 with the EREK knob and ERGO adjustment.

I had the MOA reticle in it.

The glass quality was "probably" equal to a S&B 3-12 that I had, but I never had the two scopes at the same time to compare them side by side.

You won't be disappointed, let me put it that way.... 

USO's are an excellent optic and with the price of the S&B PMII these days, are considered a "bargain". 

To get the real low down on USO, I would encourage you to check out Sniper's Hide and look around.

The President for USO, John Williams III hangs out on there too.

His handle is "JBW#3".

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist &Board=19&page=2

Regards.

nurek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 03:43

Thanks for your answer cheaptrick (you are up late!), this was the kind of answer I was after!

Has anyone else got any experiences with US Optics?

I had a look on sniper's hide forum, and US Optics are very well respected there, however I am after an 'unbiased' opinion with someone who might have some experienced with other European scopes. I find that with a lot of US forums the US scopes get very good reviews (which is very good as you support your own industry, something we have sadly forgotten here in Europe), however I have had a few Leupolds and was disappointed, even though they got very good reviews on US forums, but from what I can see the opinion on Leupolds is slowly changing in US too.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 08:15

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 16:45
Originally posted by nurek nurek wrote:

Thanks for your answer cheaptrick (you are up late!),

No Sir, just up early as is my lifelong habit.  (Drove my folks CRAZY!!)

I still would encourage go to Sniper's Hide, log in and get some info from those guys.

Lowlight, Mike Miller, Rob01, and several others there are true experts in the tactical arena and can really help you decide if USO is for you or not.

Of course, you'll still run into the old "I like chocolate, I like vanilla" deal, but The Hide is a great place to start gathering info to make an informed decision.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 17:46

USO makes a great scope, I would highly recommend.

And leupolds suck, I've owned a few and will never own another - don't take them to be the gold standard for scopes of US origin. 

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 19:34

I boorowed a USO 3,2-17.

Brand new, had costed 4200 dollars so it included a lot of extras.

The illumination was worse than worthless, far to strong to be used when needed ( impossible in darkness but also in twilight)

The thread in the front of the scope gave the impresseion that an appreantice had made it, wery loose and sloppy.

I would actually say that the quality feeling in Super Sniper is far higher than the single piece of Us optics i have examined.

So I would recomend you to go for ZEiss or SuB.

Regards Technika

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 02:28
The few USO scopes I have played recently have been quite good, although some of the older ones were hit and miss in terms of optical quality.  The current production stuff is much more consistent and easily on par with S&B and Zeiss in terms of optical quality.  Mechanically, I think USO is incredibly tough, but all top notch scopes are pretty tough.

The biggest competitive advantage of the USO is that you can spec the scope in the exact configuraiton you want.  You essentially end up with a custom scope built specifically for you.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 03:20

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The biggest competitive advantage of the USO is that you can spec the scope in the exact configuraiton you want.  You essentially end up with a custom scope built specifically for you.
ILya

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 19:04

I have a USO SN3 & Unertl, and have used Night Force, S&B PM II, Zeiss, Leupold, and Swarovski. I had the oppertunity to use my SN3 and shoot a friend stick that had a S&B PM II on it at the same range session. Here are my inpressions of both.

Glass - both were clear and sharp

Tracking - both tracked exactly as they should 1 moa adjustment moved the round 1 moa. They both did the box test perfectly @ 100yds.

knobs - both had large easy to use adjustment knobs with positive clicks that were easy to feel. My SN3 also has the EREK knob (which I really like) I have two sets of knobs one set in 1/4 moa increments and another set up as BDC's for my .308.

Fit & finish - both were well made and well finished.

Customer Service - I have never needed to use it to fix anything but the C/S I got when I ordered my USO was outstanding. They took the time to go over every detail of the optic to insure it was exactly right for my needs.

Those were the two scopes  I looked at when I was choosing also. I went with the USO due to the fact that I could have it set up exactly the way I wanted right from the factory. I didnt have to compramise one thing. Everything on it is what I wanted and nothing I didnt.  Mine is not illuminated. I have shot in the dark under a moonlit sky & was able to see and hit 400 yd targets (that was the length of the range we were on).

Both scopes would serve you well. Just figure out which one is set up the way you want and go for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 19:19

Just to add to dilligaf post, I DID have to use USO's CS dept once.

I called the number on the website and JBWIII himself answered the phone.

The SN-3 I bought had a TINY amount of debris at about the 3:00 position.

I smacked it around a little, but it was stuck.

John asked me if there was anything around me HARD that I could "beat the scope on" to loosen the debris....... 

"UH....well John...I have my reloading bench in front of me" I told him.

"Good, good, he said. Now, beat the hell out of that scope on the edge of the table. That should knock it loose!!"  I commenced to smacking my brand new scope on the edge of the table.

"Harder....Hit it harder!! he screamed. I beat the piss out of the scope by holding it at the ocualr end and smacking the ERGO, but the debris wouldn't come loose. He told me to send it in and he would fix it for me ASAP. And he did just that.

Moral of this story......How many times you going to call a scope company and actually speak to the President of the company on the first try?? 

And... How many scope makers would actually believe in their product enough to tell you to beat the hell out their scope like that?

Get what you want, my friend. My next "high end scope" will come from California and say US Optics on it somewhere.

nurek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 05:01

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Get what you want, my friend. My next "high end scope" will come from California and say US Optics on it somewhere.

I have a feeling my one will come from California too

Thank you for your comments, special thanks to dilligaf for your extensive comparison.

Piotr.

Edited by nurek
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 05:22

When I came in a scope research as a buyer, my first selection was the US Optics with the very good personal customize. But as a European I can’t buy it due to the new USA export rules of weapons, spare parts etc. for private use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic