OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Choice between two Bushnells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choice between two Bushnells
    Posted: September/18/2004 at 13:08
I'm looking at two Bushnell scopes and am wondering what the main differences are:

• Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 MATTE (713948)

• Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 MATTE (733948)

I'll be installing onto a Yugo M48 Mauser. It has quite a kick to it so shockproof performance is important. It will be used mainly for target shooting but occasional hunting, as well.
Any info or advice is deeply appreciated. Thanks.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2004 at 14:17

I would strongly suggest that if you want a Bushnell, you need to step up to the Elites.  This power range and size can be had as a 3200 for under $200 and I believe the 4200 2.5-10x40 is a little over $400.  I have never had good luck withthe low-end Bushnells and I know that this is a problem shared by many others.  The Elites are good to very good depending on the model.  I will never purchase another low-end Bushnell, I would not hesitate to buy an Elite.

ranburr

Mauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2004 at 19:30
Thanks for your thoughts, ranburr.

A week or two ago, I inquired about a low-budget scope in the $40 range. Yes, I know that's low but that is all I could afford. It was suggested to me (by Redneck) to try to upgrade
to a Bushnell Banner or Legend. So, that's what I strived for. I am now ready to purchase a scope in the price-range of $70-$85. I can't go up to the Elites. It's just way beyond my
financial capabilties.

Can anyone give me some pros & cons pertaining to the original scopes I mentioned, in the first place?
They are:

• Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 MATTE (713948)

• Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 MATTE (733948)

Thanks for recommendations regarding the two scopes I mentioned in my initial post.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2004 at 18:37

i would go with the banner.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2004 at 20:15

If it had to be one of these, I would probably go with the Banner also.  You may want to consider a good used Redfield or Weaver in 4 or 6X.

ranburr

Mauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2004 at 22:41
Thanks, guys.

That helps a lot. I am keeping my eyes open for a used Weaver, just in case, but if I have to live with the Banner for a little while, it's better than nothing.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 13:29

Trophy

Engineered with Amber-Bright™ optics that quickly help you distinguish between a brown tree and a brown critter, the Trophy® riflescopes have been heralded by hunters as the ideal scope for the autumn deer woods. With multi-coated optics for increased brightness in low-light conditions, the avid inner hunter in you will be most satisfied. No question about it, they're designed to excel during the day's most important times.    
FEATURES :
Multi-coated optics
Amber-Bright™ high contrast lens coating
One-piece tube
100% waterproof/fogproof/
shockproof construction
Dry-nitrogen filled
1/4 M.O.A. fingertip, audible/
resettable windage and elevation adjustment
Fast-focus eyepiece

Banner

Ask any trophy hunter and they'll tell you more tags are filled in the low-light hours than any other time. That said, it's wise to have a scope designed to excel in early-morning and late-evening light. Featuring Dusk & Dawn Brightness™ (DDB) multi-coated lenses for clarity and brightness in low light, you'll add precious minutes to every hunting day with the Banner® Dusk & Dawn® series. With one-piece tube design, the Banner Dusk & Dawn line includes a full assortment of specialty scopes for big-game, varmint, .22 rimfire, slug, black powder and turkey hunting.    
FEATURES :
Multi-coated optics
One-piece tube
100% waterproof/fogproof construction
Dry-nitrogen filled
1/4 M.O.A. fingertip, resettable windage and elevation adjustment
Fast-focus eyepiece

Mauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 14:59
Thanks for the comparison list, Chris.

This brings up a question:

Is the Banner "shockproof" or not? Bushnell's website doesn't mention that feature for any Banner scopes, yet all other scopes are listed as being shockproof. Most reviews I've read
mention that Banner scopes are shockproof, but I have yet to find this anywhere in Bushnell's literature. I just want to be sure my Yugo M48 Mauser isn't going to destroy a Banner
scope if I decide to go with that line. Thanks again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2004 at 15:20

All scopes are shock proof, it goes with out say really and sometimes they just don't think to mention it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic