OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR flat top optic/BUIS question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR flat top optic/BUIS question?
    Posted: June/16/2007 at 12:01

Could you folks suggest a combination that would allow me to mount optics on my A4 flat top and still get the scope high enough and forward enough for decent eye relief? I was thinking that forward enough would mean just forward of the latch. Some kind of “scout” set-up?  To complicate matters I also wish to use folding BUIS’s. I guess that means I need something that will leave room at the rear of the flat top to mount the folding rear sight. Any help would be great…

Gary O

<>< 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 12:38

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6903&PN=1

If you want optics more along the line of a scope, say a variable it would work the same, that is with the scope ahead of the rear back up iron site. It depends on how important co-witnessing is to you. If you select an optic say a 1.5x8 Ior with a higher mount it probably won't. The higher the power range of the variable the less forward you will be able to move it. Depending on how "fast" you think you need to get to the BUIS would determine the mount ie quick release,--- next day is soon enough for me-- so LEO QRW or equivalent work fine.

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 09:50

I don't know what type of optic you're looking to go with, but here's the setup I did with my ACOG....I have the ARMS Swan rail and I really like it.  I currently have the standard two screw mount and eventually I want to go with the GG&G Accucam.  You can see there's a lot of extra room  because the BUIS sinks into the sleeve....height of the scope is perfect for me.....this was toward the end of this build (charging handle was on backorder).

Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 08:44
Our ACOG-toters use the issue BUIS behind their optics. It stows and clears the optic just fine on a flattop M4 and cheekweld and eye relief are good with the LMT SOPMOD stocks we have. I can send you a pic of one of these if you need. Just a thought-if that ACOG goes down in a fight (never seen that happen once, BTW) I can't really picture myself breaking out my Leatherman and removing it so I can use those BUISs. I think the iron sight on the TA01 NSN or a dot docter would be a better setup depending on the application. Sandsock's setup looks good, too-that's the biggest ACOG I have ever seen!

Semper Fi!

Chris
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2007 at 19:30

Like so?

ARMS38EX556 New ARMS #38EX Swan Sleeve                                                                                              New ARMS #38EX Swan Sleeve
  • Matte
  • Flip Up Rear Sight Included
  • AR-10 (5.56)
  • 8.460"
SWFA: $164.95
More Info... Buy Now

30652 Badger Ordnance 30mm Scope Rings                                                                                        Badger Ordnance 30mm Scope Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium (.885")
  • Alloy
SWFA: $167.95
More Info... Buy Now

604230 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                      IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $534.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2007 at 19:37

This is new and interesting with  + 22 MOA

24925 Badger Ordnance AR Riser Rail                                                                                           Badger Ordnance AR Riser Rail
  • Flat Top Style
  • 22 MOA
SWFA: $94.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 22:49
Obviously, it isn't "issue"...at least it's not the 5.5x gargantuan model.  I've only played with the TA01NSN....I'm not a big of the irons on the NSN....but like you said....I've never seen seen one go T-U either.   I did get a chance to use the TA31 with the amber triangle and it really washed out in low light as the triangle covered up a lot of stuff...the amber color wasn't great under artificial lighting either.....I could really dig the TA31F with the Chevron (only handled one in a gun store) but I got a sweet deal on the TA11 and the 35mm tube is great....I'll be draggin it along the next go for the next deployment....I've added a Progressive Machine and Tool lens cover and it's muy bueno.   I can twist off the thumb screws in a pinch with a tool...the Accucam mount would be better probably.....I won't go into details about developing hand strength...a stress ball at work is probably the most PC method.  I'm still wondering what type optic we're talking....for a dot scope this is what I came up with for a cowitness setup (Mark Brown rail).
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2007 at 14:25
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic