OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How harmful is gun oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharp-sighted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How harmful is gun oil?
    Posted: June/16/2007 at 04:58
I recently (accidently of course) poured some gun oil on my rifle scope. I have heard gun oil being able to penetrate the scope seals and thus getting into the chamber and damaging the lenses.

Does anyone know:
1. What is the mechanism for oil to get into the scope chamber? Are the molecules simply small enough to sneak in (even though the seals keep nitrogen inside and water/fog outside) or does oil first need to damage the seals to get in?
2. Do high quality scopes (Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B...) stand occasional splash of oil or is one splash enough to destroy the scope? Lenses on my scope still look bright - I really hope it stays that way...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 11:43

What did you use to clean it off? Scope make? Gun oil type??

I doubt it hurt your coatings.

Welcome to The OT!!

sharp-sighted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharp-sighted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 12:13
Thanks!

Well, I had the lense covers on so oil didn't reach the lenses. However, the tube got pretty well oiled. That's what I'm worried about as I heard that oil gets easily into the scope chamber and makes internal lenses dirty thus requiring a factory visit to get things back in order.

I got Zeiss (Victory series) and I use break free CLP as my gun oil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 12:31

Originally posted by sharp-sighted sharp-sighted wrote:

However, the tube got pretty well oiled. That's what I'm worried about as I heard that oil gets easily into the scope chamber and makes internal lenses dirty thus requiring a factory visit to get things back in order.

I'm not tracking......

Your worried that oil has gotten INSIDE the scope tube, because you had gun oil on the OUTSIDE of the scope tube.......Right??

Who told you that was even a possibilty?

sharp-sighted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharp-sighted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 17:20
Yes, exactly. Gun oil on the outside finding its way into the insides of the tube. That's what I been told. Oil being able to penetrate the seals that make tubes waterproof...

That may sound stupid and I really hope it is but there seems to be folks who believe oil gets into the scope chamber making internal lenses dirty. Solvents and penetrative oils (like WD-40) being worse than heavier oils and lubricants.

You don't see scope manufactures advertising their products as oil-proof even though that might make sense considering how common substance oil is related to gun cleaning. If you type words "rifle scope oil" into google the second link you get gives the warning:"Do no oil the scope as it may leach into the scope and coat the optics".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 18:05

Thanks for sharing.

I actually never considered it before now. I still don't think it's a big deal, but maybe I'm wrong.

I do wipe off my scope every time I shoot and occasionaly I use Tetra Gun Oil (lightly) on the scope and rings. 

If that would cause the oil to leach into the inside of the scope it would have happened by now, I would think.   

All the best and thanks for giving us something to think about.

xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 09:55

Originally posted by sharp-sighted sharp-sighted wrote:

I recently (accidently of course) poured some gun oil on my rifle scope. I have heard gun oil being able to penetrate the scope seals and thus getting into the chamber and damaging the lenses.

Does anyone know:
1. What is the mechanism for oil to get into the scope chamber? Are the molecules simply small enough to sneak in (even though the seals keep nitrogen inside and water/fog outside) or does oil first need to damage the seals to get in?
2. Do high quality scopes (Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B...) stand occasional splash of oil or is one splash enough to destroy the scope? Lenses on my scope still look bright - I really hope it stays that way...

It is a well known fact .... petroleum based oils and lubes rot and or eat rubber . Depends on what your seals are made of . Many people for years pumped it onto their rubber bushings on their autos only to have them crack and rot .

Been There Done That !!!!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 10:06

how does gun oil ruin riflescopes?

when the idiot trys to wipe it off with a course cloth and ruins those delicated coatings. dont give it a second thought by the time the oil has penetrated those neoprene o seals you will setting in assisted living.  use a q-tip with 90% isopropyl to "sop" up the xtra oil, and clean the lens like any other day.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 10:13

Like Dale stated. Cleaning your fine optics with a rock will hurt em as well. It is nice to see that someone does care enough about their optics to ask though.

Roy

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 18:04

I dunno, guys.... Some of the polarizing oils and super penetrants such as Kroil seem to almost be able to seep through steel !

I try to keep it completely away from the scope.

Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 23:09

As has been pointed out gun oils can damage the seals of some scopes. If you would care for a demonstration simply soak a rubber band in gun oil for a few days and you will notice the effect. Seals do not have to be completely dissolved in order to have a negative effect on scope. Simply degrading the seal reduces the water resistance of the scope and can allow enough water vapor in to create fogging. Some bore cleaners can damage some lens coatings as well.

As Dale suggested isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is an effective way to clean the scope if you get oil places you would rather it not be. In most all cases (with waterproof scopes) you can dunk a waterproof scope in rubbing alcohol with no ill effects as it is commonly used a a lens cleaner anyway.

I would be curious myself to find out what different companies are using for seal material, as there are some that are quite oil resistant and some that are very vulnerable to oil.

It is a generally a good idea to wrap the scope in something protective when cleaning your firearm. Personally, I just wrap a couple paper towels around the scope and hold them in place with a rubber band.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2007 at 13:25

Well, I am going to take a different opinion on this topic. With turret caps in place tightly and lens caps in place, I always while cleaning my rifles, which are many, lightly spray the scope with Rem.oil and wipe down the excess immediatley and have done so since I was a kid.  I am now 49 and have never had a scope fog up.  Some scopes do not even have neoprene or O-ring seals, the better ones do.  The seals are located at the eyepiece, objective and turrets.  I do not ever let oil get to any of those areas and am very careful when it come to that.  The light coat of oil placed on the scope helps prevent rust if there is any ferrous involved in the making of the tubes (i.e. steel of the non-stainless variety), when there are some scratches and helps the scope look new without any fading.  It also helps water bead off during rain.  I have never had a scope become loose.  In addition, depending on what product is used, rubber and other similar products are benefited by regular treament of certain types of lubricant to prevent dry rot and some of those products do contain petroleum based oils as well as vegetable based oils.  Hence the reason people use armor all on there cars.  Here is a little blurb on seals and lubricant recommended.

Elastomer

Applications

Optimum Lubricants

Temperature Range (°F)

Manufacturer

Nitrile

Hydraulic Oils & Fuels
Extreme Service
Pneumatic
Vacuum

Petrolatum
Barium Grease