OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope choosing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 15:11

This rifle I will use it mainly at firing range, targets every 100m – max 1000 m, with unlimited access to the area. Shooting from bipod and bench rest. Ammunition from a very good quality  FMJ 308 BT to match federal matchking, Ruag, Lapua, 168 gr, 175 gr, 190 gr, etc

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 15:29

You may want to have two scopes for that gun one for target and one for hunting and it would be less expensive in the long run.  I would go a very high power scope for distances over 500 meters and a hunting scope

just my 2 cents

Duce

Duce
Wvladimire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wvladimire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 20:12
The problem with having 2 scopes for one gun is, you have to rezero it everytime you switch scopes.
Hassle.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 23:09

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 23:19

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 07:37

So far, lastly if I understood well, I have 2 options.

1. 4-16 x 56 for tactical situations
  2. 6-24 x 72 for target practice, hunting, competitions etc.

The photo below is from German Police.

6-24x72 on a Police Sniper mounted on an AMP DSR1

Edited by Kons
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 13:37

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 13:44

Urimaginaryfrend has a very good point a target scope is useless for most anything else. The scope I use when I am hunting more than any other scope is a 2&1/2 power to 10 power with a 40 mm objective swaro and most shots are made at power 2 to 6. I live in very open country. Sometimes I have a portable benchrest set up and then I will use higher power scopes. I change my scopes around on my rifles frequently so I don`t feel it is much of a problem to rezero at the range. I would still give some consideration to the IOR 3 to 18 power not some much for the 18 but for the 3 power in close range.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10168-292-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-r ifle-scope.aspx

Let use know what you decide on, you are considering some great equipment.

Duce

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 13:54

One more scope you may want to consider is the IOR

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10188-292-new-ior-4-28x56-tactical-40 mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I would try to go to a store and ask them to let you take the scope outdoors and look through it at high and low power, they may want something for security like your driver liecense but if they know you are a serious buyer they should be willing to let you do this.

Duce

Duce
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 13:57

Thank you my friends for your help. I am in contact also with many others shooters from all over the world and believe me I am confused! Many contrary opinions, other same. I have seen many photos, reports etc, I don’t know what I can do! I have made 1 step forward and 2 back…!!!!

I will flip of a coin!

IOR it is a Romanian European manufacturer if I decide to go with her will be easy to buy directly from the company or representative.

It is very difficult as far as I know to buy gun part from USA, bureaucracy for the seller and multiply x5 for my, for the import & licence.

Edited by Kons
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 14:29

steyr probably has high enough adjustable comb to cover the scope, but your neck may give up, changing the scopes would be a small problem in relation to tracking the loads and their impacts, particulary if you are unable to duplicate by reloading. if your not required to 308 is not the best long distance choice, us gets you 5x just as euro gets us 5x huh. something to check out before you buy.

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat &Number=64159&page=3#Post64159

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 15:38

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 08:47

I am not a shareholder of any company; I prefer European optics for only one reason because I can’t buy from USA the scope that I want! I am not the rich guy with the big full pocket, just I am trying to buy the best one, for ones time and ever that I can buy.  I can’t spend money and loose money at every change, sell and buy, I can’t afford it.

With the possibility in the future to change caliber, but not a scope. Usually you are married the scope especially if it is good.

We don’t have here the big weapon & accessories market as you have. For as is more difficult to have weapon in our possession.(Politically Correct !!!, look what hapenend to the British IPSC shooters!)

My first choice was US Optics (Model: SN9 3.8-22x58) with the exceptional personal customize scopes and Leupold as a second.

Before 2 months I was try to buy 1 post sight for a AR15 from a big internet shop. After 1 month of waiting my order, they update me with many excuses of why can’t sent me my order!! And the delay goes on; of course I have canceled my order.

I have many friends in USA that can sent me anything that I need, but I want also to be legal in Europe, that’s mean a lot of paper work for import & license, plus money to extra taxes (about 25%), time for that 2-4 months. Does anyone will try to buy something after that outside of Europe?

Now for the scope, I have understood very well all the parameters of the scope and thanks for that, you give me new "optic angle" .

• From 16x power until 24x power it is a waste for the 308”, if I have 300 WM or 338 LM will be ok, but for 308 bad.
  • I loose the capability between the 3-4x powers until 6x power.

For someone with 300” WM or 338 LM if he see a target at 200 meters what he can do with his scope which usually is more than 4x-5c power? At close ranges?

The best compromise will be the as a 2nd 6-24 x 72 and 1st the 4-16x56 or I can spend money and loose money at every change, I can’t afford it.

If you have only one instance to buy rifle scope for your weapon with the best compromise, witch mean “something for all purposes” what will you choose?

Edited by Kons
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 12:46

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 13:54

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 15:28

You make me to laugh a lot, really a lot. But I am thinking that some times the bigger woman is hotter something very useful at winter nights, she produce more heat.

With your help I have understand and convince me about the 4-16 power.

Soon I will buy the Hendsold 4-16x56.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 16:19
Ufriends speaks the universal language.
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 06:39

Thanks all of you for the help and advices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic