OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope choosing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope choosing
    Posted: June/13/2007 at 14:36

I need opinions about the choosing of a rifle scope 6-24 x 56/72 on 308” caliber rifle or 4-16x56?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 15:58

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 16:06

You have a budget?

Bushnell makes a decent scope in that power range - for the lower end of the $$ scale - and there are MANY players in that power range at the upper end of the scale.

I hear great things about IOR.  I say great thigns about Zeiss, Nightforce, and USO, and I aspire to one day drop another $3,000 on an S&B.  And I am not a fan of Leupold - another thread. 

Can't be much more specific without a price range.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 08:32

Thanks a lot my friends for your help and recommendations. I am intent to use for long range sniping (with 308”) and in the future with 300WM or 338 LM. I want to use the scope also as a spotting scope. I can spent 3500 – 4000$ and I want the best for that, I don’t want to make any compromise for that amount of money.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 14:00

In that price range I would look at the schmidt & Bender and the Military Ziess offerings

Duce  

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9237-284-new-schmidt-bender-5-25x56-p olice-marksman-lp-34mm-riflesc.aspx

Duce
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 20:57

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 08:15

This is my private rifle and is the Manlicher Steyr Tactical Elite at 308” (barrel 22.4" with 1/12 rifling) it is brand new without any optics installed, with hi capacity kit and plenty of 10round magazines. I will use it in mixed “mode” for any situation as a high quality weapon.in compact dimensions. 

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/sporting-weapons/steyr-el ite/

Edited by Kons
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 16:17

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 23:32

Thanks all for your help, your information and suggestions are very valuable to me.

I know the problem off export from USA (I thing this is a big problem for all, from manufacturers to export and potentially buyers and that cost more to you as an exporter), but inside European Union we need a local license (only in gun parts) to buy something especially from another European country.

I have made focus at Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss/Hendsold scopes, from my research until now I have fount that probably there are “cooperative” companies in many things with the same quality.

I am thinking as a first choosing the Hensoldt ZF 6-24X72 MIL-STD-810E with original base-rings.

Your forum is a valuable resource of information for any shooter.

Edited by Kons
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 12:46

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 13:20

Very good advice Ufriend I have never seen a antireflection device that big, it may be available in Europe , it is hard to find one for a 56 mm here. I shot a Steyr 50 cal single shot a couple of mo. ago a very high quality accurate rifle.

Duce 

Duce
Wvladimire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wvladimire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2007 at 17:29
First off I would like to say that that is a nice looking rifle you have there. As you are outside of the us,
you would do well to get an IOR scope. If you are using it for various tactical and precision long range
shooting, I would not go above 10x or a 44MM objective. To do so will create more of an opportunity
for mirage, shake, and parralax. If you go with IOR, I would suggest the 6x42 tactical, 10x42 tactical
with side focus, or the 6x42 hunting. If you want a variable power then I would suggest the 2.5-10x42.

For rings and bases, I would suggest TPS, they are just as good, and IMHO better than Badger for half
the price of a base from them. They are held to strict tolerances, no more than +/- .00002 which far
exceeds Badger.

Some other models you may want to look at that are a bit lower in cost, but IMHO just as good are
these:

Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 w/Mil-dot
Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 w/Mil-dot
If you must have a S&B go with the 10x42 Hunter, which is about a grand cheaper than the Police
Marksman model,
which I believe is WAY OVERPRICED for what you get. I have used S&B in the past, but do not think they
are worth the extravagant amount of more money they want.
If you can get them overseas try a Mueller 3-10x44 Tac-II

I hope this helps and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Wvladimire

Edited by Wvladimire
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 11:43

When starting to run in the labyrinth of rifle scopes with my experiences of course, I have found different schools and way of thinking. All these opinions are very helpful to me and make me to think again and again all the details of the rifle scope combination with the rifle.  

For a military sniper without a second weapon like any model of m4 family at 5, 56 or any other, for any close or little further situation it is not wise option for his life and mission.

If you want to use a minimal weight of a rucksack for long time at infiltration with many, many kilometers at ground without roads or footpath, you prefer to have with you a big quantity of deferent things? From big spotting glasses, binoculars? Radios? Batteries, food, water ammunition? Etc. or “marry” and combine materials? Does any one know how many kilos is the burden of a sniper rucksack?

What you will do if you want to have only one “glass” for all the requirements of the combat theatre? I thing the solution is to use each sniper this way of solution to minimize in acceptable level and compromise many things.

The 4-16x56, yes is an option and very close to my mind!

I am not intent to use the 308” further from 800 - 1000 meters at maximum; I know very well the problems of the 308 bullet even at 190 grains, further from that I thing it is a windfall lottery. But until the end of these maximum distances I want to recognize all the details that I need, witch is also very helpful in accuracy.

For the scope accessories, we have everything from laser filters to antireflection device even at 72mm.

I thing I have made the “devils lawyer” if I use the correct phrase, to enlarge our post with additional opinions.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wvladimire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 13:24
Dear Konos,

While you do bring up some points that I do agree with, you also have brought up some that are
questionable. The Army, USMC, and Navy SEAL snipers all used to use a variable power 3-10 x 44
scope. Now a days, I realize things have changed, and that the USMS has switched over to the S&B 3
-12x50. For a .308 you want to use nothing more than a 10 power scope. And while the USMS does
practice at 1,000 meters, taking a shot at that distance to remove a threatening obstacle is not advised,
800 meters is the max distance for such a shot. If they are going be further away, then the .50BMG is
used with different optics than would be supplied with the standard sniper rifle. Also for a mission, the
sniper team is usually a 2-3 man squad, consisting of the sniper and spotter or spotters. If one should
fall, then the other becomes the next person to complete the mission. Supplies are LIMITED for such a
covert mission, because the more supplies you have, the more likely you will be careless and leave
something behind to be spotted by enemy patrols.

The 4-16x56 scope you mentioned, will work. However from my past experience with an IOR 10x56
scope, it is not the IDEAL choice for your weapon. First, the objective is TO BIG, to sit as low to the
barrel as one would like. And because of this, problems with mirage and parralax are more prominent
with such a large objective. Also a 56MM objective produces more lens glare no matter how much
coatings it has on it. You would need a sun shield of at least 12 inches, 14 would be preferred, to help
cut down on this, not a good thing when in the field. Read your blogs, magazines, etc. etc. and you will
see that for your needs a fixed or variable power scope of 3-10 with 40-44MM objective is all you need.
Anything more, and you are asking for problems.

Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 13:33

I agree with all above, but besides operational maters, as a technical mater it is good or not and why? Please give me details at scope only, forget bases etc.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wvladimire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 13:35
I gave you reasons for the scope listed above.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 08:55

Kons,

I am curious as to your use of the weapon.  What will be teh target?  And why out to 1,000 yards?

For a target rifle, the conversation goes one way; for a tactical rifle, it goes another.  If we had a more clear understanding of your use and needs, it might help us provide a better answer.

There is no such thing as the "perfect optic" so everything becomes compromise.  We can assist in making that compromise as painless as possible, but more specifics are needed.  More than range, what is target size, what conditiosns, what exact weapon?  I would recommend one scope for a .308 but probably a different for .338.

There are many vague details and a few ranges and a few calibers; can you shrink the list and be a little more specific?

And Ufriend, I hear ya!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kons View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 10:34

I want this big scope from bench rest shooting to general purpose rifle. I don’t care for the total weight of the weapon, just I want to have the best possibilities in accuracy at any distance, until 1000 meters (1094 yards). I need to have the capability for long range recognition and the best magnification can I get at all distances.   

I know that I have narrower field of view at close ranges from a smaller scope, but I don’t care about that.

But I have thoughts and I am in doubt after the opinions of the others shooters in the forum. Why exactly they don’t want such a magnification? It is just a mater of a heavy combination for tactical purposes? Or not the right scope for a specific technical reason.

After my reasons, that I don’t have problem with the total weight of the weapon and the big dimensions of the scope, do you thing that is a good solution or not? What I will win what can I loose?

At post 15 you can see the rifle.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 11:52

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wvladimire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 13:23
Konos,

I agree with the previous post. However if you have your hear set on the scope you mentioned, then by
all means get it. If you plan on shooting benchrest target, then the higher magnification will not
magnify shake and that, if you use a bench rest. If you are having any human contact with your rifle,
then DO NOT GO ABOVE 10X. Again I do believe the 56 MM objective is too big. If you plan on trekking
through brush, then it's going to get snagged and make things difficult.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic