OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me select a new scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdsideofdabarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me select a new scope
    Posted: June/13/2007 at 09:41

I have been a long time reader, but this is my first time posting.  Since many of the posters here seem to be well informed, I would like to get some opinions on several scopes.   What I have gleaned from reading the boards is the value of certain features such as... of mil dots, target knobs, side or easy focus and acceptable magnification levels, and most important... you get what you pay for.  That being said, I have narrowed it down to these 5.  None of them have all the features I want... but they fall in my budget and all have had favorable reviews on this site.  Any feed back or opinions on the following would be greatly appreciated.

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope

Leupold 3-9x50 VX-I Riflescope

Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II Riflescope

The platform it will be mounted on is a .308 Remington 700.

One last thing...  there isn't a whole lot of discussion about mounts...  What do you all like ? One or two piece, steel vs aluminum, and what brand and type of rings?

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 10:04

First and foremost, exactly what features do you want?  There may be exactly what you want out tehre somewhere and you simply haven't come across it yet.

Looking at your chosen few, I see you are staying close to the $300 line - but getting up to $330 for the Leupold.

I would recommned you consider bumping your pricepoint about $50 and looking at Bushnell 4200s and maybe even the Zeiss Conquest on the Samplelist (3-9x40@$349.00)

Obviously, knowing all the features you want will help us recommend better.  The 4200 and Conquest are, without question, well worth the extra $50 over what you have listed.

As for mounts, I say stell, strong as hell, no dovetails, only rails, and get the best you can afford. 

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 11:09

Nikon Monarch has the best glass of the ones you selected.

That's quite a range of scopes you have there.

What is the intended use?

I would not spend the $ on the Leupolds.

There are better scopes for less $ and there are too many repair/replacement stories involving Leupold for me to be comfortable.

brdsideofdabarn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdsideofdabarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 13:12

Here is my thought process for the scopes selected.  I plan on shooting paper (at mid to long ranges 200 -900 yrds), but would like to have the ability to hunt with it as well.  Ideally, I want a scope that has a mil dot reticle, and target turrets for range calculation and fast adjustment.  As for magnification, it seems most of the distinguished shooters, I have been reading about, use a 3x9 or a 10x. I  have set 3x9 as my baseline, based on field of view at 200 yards or less. The side focus seems like a nice feature, but is not a deal breaker. I did find several barskas with all the features as well as some BSA's but the reviews on those brands were unfavorable.

Are there any other brands or models, besides the bushnell 4200 and conquest, that I should look at?

As for the samplelist, I was under the impression it was "as is" merchandise with no warranty. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 13:30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 13:45

I can't speak for everything on the Samplelist, but I have bought 2 Zeiss Conquest and a pair of Leica Ultravids and all have lifetime warranty.  BUT, everything on the sample list does not, I think Nikons on the sample lsit have 30 day warranty.

Are you shooting known distance ranges or unknown distances?  A mil dot is a nice thing to have but most who get them nevert use them - or not much.

With your stated prupose, I can't see anything being a better fit than a 10X SuperSniper.  It's in your pricerange, has optics comperable to the better stuff youa re looking at, and has all the features you want.  It is a great scope for bench work; not too high for 200 yards, not too low for 900 yards.  Only recently have military snipers moved way from fixed 10X scopes (to the very best variables.)

For the money and the purpose, I'd say buy a 10xSS and be confident that you ahve spent your money well. (And you can get a BDC for it, whcih makes it all the better!)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 14:15
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10606-1514-new-sightron-4-16x42-sii-r iflescope.aspx

????

if you can afford the SIghtron 4-16x42MD, that would be an optimal choice for the money, for you needs.

If you can not, this is another good option for a fair amount less:

Mueller Tac II 3-10x44.  Japanese made scope with decent glass, MilDot, and quite a bit of W/E adjustment.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10574-1506-new-mueller-3-10x44-tac-ii -riflescope.aspx

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 17:10
Is that a sporter weight .308 M700?
If it is a PSS/VS/VSF heavy barrel type I would go with the Monarch that you asked about.
If it is a sporter weight I would go with RC's suggestion and look at a 3-9x40 Conquest or the Elite 4200. Even the Monarch 3.3-10 might not be too huge on a M700 short action. Conquest, Monarch and 4200 are all very good optics for the money.

Edited by tahqua
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdsideofdabarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 21:30
Its a SPSV with a 26 in. heavy contour barrel.  I am going to focus my research on the Conquest, Monarch and 4200.  Does anyone else have any experience with the sightron?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 21:52

Those are good scopes, but I wouldn't exclude the SuperSniper.

Go read the reviews.

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

It's good gear.  For that rifle, I'd be perfect, and not badly priced.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdsideofdabarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 22:52
Hmmm...  the SS does seem to have it all...  What brand of rings?   Does the SS come with any rings? I want to go with a steel base.  Is it important to match ring and mount manufaturers?   I think rail is the way to go as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 02:37

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4649-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm- rings.aspx

The 10x SS is a great scope, for the actual money spent. IF you plan on doing more target shooting, the SS will serve you well.

I personally would prefer a variable for hunting though.

I guess it depends on WHERE, HOW and WHAT you are planning on hunting.

I couldn't imagine taking a fixed 10x into the briar patches and thickets where I hunt. 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 08:46

yeah, cheap makes a very important point - if you are hunting, fixed 10 power is not good.

if you are punching paper, the SS 10x is perfect.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 11:29
Of all the scopes you listed, the Monarch is clearly the best, from all standpoints.  I agree with Koshkin on his two recommendations.  I do not own that Mueller, which is the best scope they make, but I own several others and they are excellent, especially considering the money paid.  I was going to replace one with a Burris FFII and after compaing the two extensively, left the Mueller on.  The Sightron is excellent, but more money.  If you are going to do any hunting, stick with a variable.  You will be perfectly happy with the Nikon.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 11:30
Oh, by the way, I would stick with Warne mounts and rings or the Lightweight one piece Talley mounts and rings.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 20:21
Steel one or two piece bases and burris signiture zee rings. Conquest, monarch, or 4200 elite scope, my personal preference is the conquest.

focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brdsideofdabarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 20:39

Wow, thanks everyone for all the good info and advice.  I am going to go with the Nikon ...  The versatility and clarity of a buckmaster I saw in the store was impressive and is what put it over the top.  I couldn't find any local sightrons or muellers.  So, between Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope  and the Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope ,  What one would you pick?  The price is the same.  One has 4% more light transmission and is a newer model while the other has a side focus and slightly more magnification.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 20:43
the monarch is a much better scope than the buckmaster.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 04:49

I had an older 4.5-14 BM on a .300 RUM that held up great.

Alas, the Monarch is the clear winner here. Good power range for hunting too, I think. 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2007 at 07:15

monarch is their flagship scope - great optics.

J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic