OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RAINGAURD (does it work or not)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAINGAURD (does it work or not)
    Posted: June/12/2007 at 23:27
I have read on this forum from time to time that Bushnell RAINGAURD works great and others say it doesnt and is just a gimmick. Well , It would be a deciding feature in buying a pair of binos or scope if I really knew if it worked or not. Can anyone tell me for certain if it works and if so how and how well and how do you know?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 06:06
It works excellant and is not a gimmick, when I got my first 4200 with RG I wanted to test it and where I live you get plenty of chances. I took the elite along with a var x lll and a conquest and put them in the unheated garage where it was 18 below zero. After an hour I brought them all into the kitchen near the woodstove where it was 85 above, they all developed an outside coating of fog....but the 4200 was quite usuable and you could get a sight picture instantly, the other two scopes took about 8-10 minutes before you could see anything at all thru them. This was how it made a difference in outer fogging.....next I dipped the end of each in water and tried to sight thru them. The elite again was able to discern well enough right away to take shots, the other two where more like funhouse mirrors. It flat works and I'm waiting for the day when all other companies offer this type of coating.......the new sightron big skys have it on their new models also. If you hunt in the rain it beats the heck out of the added hassel of flip up strom covers when a shot presents itself fast.

focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 06:14
Great job, Focus. That is good info.....................thanks
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 07:01
yeah, that was exactly the type of response I wanted. Thanks for the info FOCUS.
What model of 4200 do you have and how does it compare in resoloution and brightness to your conquest and VXIII?
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 07:33

i have 'tested' them myself.......I.E........hunting in a downpour........

they work wonderfully.  Nice clear picture even when wet.

also, i think that coating adds to the brilliance of the image.  very good glass for the money.

J

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 10:10

Interestingly, I have had quite the opposite experience.

I have owned numerous Bushnell optics with the RainGaurd coatings including a 3-9x40 Elite 3200 rifle scope, a 10x26 Legend binocular, a 10x42 porro prism Discoverer binocular, and a 10x43 Elite binocular. I bought them because I like the price/performance ratio that I feel I get from Bushnell, not for their RainGaurd coatings.  I still own the two Elites but both the Legend and Discoverer have since found new homes.

I have hunted with these optics in the rain, snow, sleet, fog, sunshine, wind, etc. etc. and their RainGaurd coatings have never given me any kind of significant edge over other manufacturers' optics that were in use by myself and others on the same hunts including models from Nikon, Leupold, Pentax, Zeiss, Swarovski, and etc. 

I guess that would put me pretty squarely in the, "it's an advertising gimmick" camp.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 20:32
Dave I have a 4x16x40 4200 elite and its a very good scope, its on a tack driving varmint rig and never changes POI or gives me any trouble tracking. Its as bright as any of my conquests and brighter than either vari x lll. Very resolute and reads to the same line as the conquests on the acuity chart. Color contrast is where the most difference is and I think thats totally what an individuals eyes like (warmer red spectrum tones or colder blue/white spectrum tones) I just like the color correction of the conquest the most for me. I also agree with Jon and believe the 4200's got a little more brilliant when they went to the rainguard coating. Hunt all day in the rain and you'll have a real appreciation for the rainguard coating.......it works.

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 21:03
Thanks guys for the info. I guess I'll try one of the new 3-9x40 models they have come out with. The Monarch is cheaper right now but I like the idea of RAINGAURD and Ive heard that the Monarchs are really sensitive to blacking out if your eye isnt just right behind the eyepiece and has the tunnel vision look. I suppose the 3-9x40 is of equal optical quality to the older 4200 models isnt it? I mean its not just a fully multicoated 3200 lens system is it? Do you know if the ocular lens is larger on the 3-9 than on the 2.5-10 (older) models, I like larger ocular lenses and sight pictures.
xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 09:57

Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

I have read on this forum from time to time that Bushnell RAINGAURD works great and others say it doesnt and is just a gimmick. Well , It would be a deciding feature in buying a pair of binos or scope if I really knew if it worked or not. Can anyone tell me for certain if it works and if so how and how well and how do you know?

Yes it does and yes it can be stripped from the lenses without precaution to cleaning instructions .... it is only a lens coating .... remember that ! 

Been There Done That !!!!!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 19:44
YES!!!!! It does really work!!!!!!!!..........No gimmicks! No hype!!   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 20:58
you know i decided to see what happens to a nikon when it gets used in the rain and i had my buckmaster out and it was getting wet and it did fog a bit but you know what it didnt effect the sight picture enough for me to quit shooting, it wasnt any problem to make out the 1" center circle @ 100yds so i dont think i would miss a deer because of it either so for me it wouldnt matter, our deer season here is in nov and its usually to cold for rain by then so i guess it wouldnt help me any ways
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic