OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

No focus binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blindasabat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No focus binoculars
    Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:59
Greetings all! I am new to the forum and look forward to learning a lot here. I have a question concerning the no focus kind of binoculars. Some years back it seems these were all the rage, you could find them in every hunting and outdoors magazine. Now they seem to have disappeared. What happened? I have on old pair of Jasons which I still use and love.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 12:41

are you talking about sport focus, or auto focus?

where you set the eyecup focus to your individual eyes and then everything is in focus past 20 yards or so?

if so...........try steiner, fujinon, minox for starters - they have great sport focus binos, in my opinion.

if not, you have lost me.

welcome to the OT.

J

Blindasabat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blindasabat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 14:45
These do not require any set up or focusing.  They have no focus wheel. When you look through them they are in focus from 5 ft to wherever.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 15:42

I think I've seen something like what you are talking about.  It was a pair of Simmons that my good friend's in-laws kept at a cabin they owned.  As I recall, the binocular had no focus wheel and also no diopter adjustment for either eye.  I suppose the principle was to simply allow your own eyes to make all of the adjustments "naturally."

I looked through them once and that was at least three times too many.  The optics were terrible and the no-focus principle didn't work at all (unless you simply wanted  "no focus"  i.e. nothing in focus.)  Jason is a subsidiary company of Bushnell Outdoor Products and (along with Tasco) markets some of their most low-end offerings.  Their quality is generally about on par with Simmons.

I don't know anything about you and thus, don't want to judge you and if your binoculars are satisfying your needs then, more power to you. However, if you are not seeing glaring quality problems with these, then my guess is that one of three things is happening:

1. You lucked into one of the truly rare units where all the stars and planets aligned just perfectly and everything came together the way it should, or; 
  2. You haven't ever looked through a quality binocular to know what you're missing. (Perhaps both a blessing and a curse at the same time,) or;
  3. You really live up to your name-sake and are in fact "Blindasabat."

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 22:06
I'm sure if you do a google search you will come up with all kinds of hits.

Barska, for example, sells these under the heading of Focus Free binoculars and they come in 7x35, 9x25, and 10x50.

They have cheap prisms, coatings, etc etc etc.

If you are looking for cheap junk, they can be found, but, why waste your time and hard earned cash.

Put your money into a good quality binocular, and leave the Focus Free stuff for the kids "stocking-stuffers".

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 00:19

Zeiss did have wartime production of such binoculars.

Probably at the end of the war, and I don't belive it's a good idea at all.

Regards Technika

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 15:30
Today I went to an Army Surplus store to pickup some coveralls and I noticed that they are selling Bushnell Falcon InstaFocus 7x and 10x binoculars, for $35 and under.

There is no lack of cheap binoculars on the market.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic