OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons 44 Mag adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons 44 Mag adjustment
    Posted: June/11/2007 at 09:41
Hi all -

I've got a Simmons 44 Mag, 6.5-20x AO Target Turret rifle scope mounted with Millet Weaver-style rings on my 10/22, which I plan on using for NRA smallbore competitions, plinking and small game hunting. I just put a new over-molded stock on the carbine. Now the 10/22 shoots very low, with a variety of different ammo - so low, in fact, that I've run out of elevation adjustment room.

I've checked the rings and bases...all look to be seated properly. Given that it's a 10/22, I'm assuming that either the bore is not parallel to the top of the receiver.

I know I can "re-center" the turret adjustment dials....but will this also re-center the amount of adjustment I can make?

If not, I guess I'm dis-assemblying the scope and rings from the rifle, and then re-assembling with a shim...unless anyone has other suggestions?

TIA
Ed

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 10:05

Centering the turret adjustment dials will not solve your problem. You will have to use shims to bring the scope up. In order to cater for low shooting shim the rear higher (or lower the front). If you can shim the base itself then that is easy. Often using the aluminium from a cooldrink can is enough.

You have to centre your turret adjustment and then by means of a shim bring your scope close to alignment with the bore. The final finer adjustment is done with the dials. You want to be no more then about 12 inches of centre before you start using the dials.

I had to make the following shim because I could not shim the mounts itself, but had to shim inder the scope ring.

gandoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 10:40
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, 8shots.

I didn't mention that I had used a Leupold Magnetic Bore-Sighter to initially center the scope. So, I'm assuming that the muzzle crown may not be perfectly square to the bore? Hmm...

So, just to recap - I'll take the scope off and re-center the reticle. I use a small cardboard box with two "V's" cut in opposite sides, lay the scope in the V's and sight on an object in the center of view. Then, by rotating the scope tube 180 degrees, I can approximate how much the reticle is adjusted in either elevation or windage. After I get one dimension approximated, I rotate the tube 90 degrees and work on the other dimension, using the above procedure.

Then I'll put the scope back in the mounts, and place my targets with the test shots 50 yds away. I'll center the scope using the boresighter, then using test shims, determine how much I need to lift the rear of the scope.

Then, I'll take the mounts off, and put a shim under each of the rear mounts. Would you recommend one piece of metal, that spans across the receiver from mounting hole to mounting hole? Or two small pieces for each mount leg?

Then, re-mount the bases and scope, and sight in again using the bore-sighter and target.

Thanks!
Ed
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 10:57
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:09

Dale, I have just looked at the video. Way to go!

Gandoe, I normally sight through the bore from about 2 feet away at a wall about 20 ft away and then make a small mark. Prestik works great. Then without moving your rifle find this same spot through your scope by using the windage screws and shims. The crosshair must be as close as you can get it to the same spot. This will put you on the paper at 25 yds. Take one shot, place your crosshair on the bullet hole and without moving the rifle dial the crosshairs back to the point you were aiming at. You will be good to go at 100 yds on the paper.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:12
Forgot to mention, I would go for solid piece across both holes to eliminate movement.
gandoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gandoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:31
Excellent video! Thanks!

The Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto (actually a 22 rimfire - just realized I posted this in the wrong forum) so I can't sight down the bore like I can with a bolt action.

Thanks for the tips and info! Now I just have to find a blued or black piece of aluminum!

Ed
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 11:56
shoot a 10/22 with a volquartson THS, and have heard of this problem before. Double check that the tension bolts holding the barrel into the receiver are "squared"  up against the "V".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic