OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Prostaff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Prostaff
    Posted: June/08/2007 at 21:19
What does anyone have to say about this scope?  I am looking to get a new scope but do not have alot of money.  So far from my research I am liking this scope.  I am thinking wrong on this scope?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2007 at 21:29
my bro in law bought one two years ago and i was pretty impressed with the $150 scope, i have a buckmaster that i bought in 2001 and that new pro staff was every bit as clear and it was easy to sight in and has held so far and its repeatbility has been great, so if you only can spend that much then yeah its a great scope for the money, im not sure how it is in early morning or early evening though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Billy T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2007 at 21:34
 Thank you very much for the info. THis is of great help
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 00:03
Unlike pyro, I was very underwhelmed with the Pro-Staff scope I played with.

What is your budget?

ILya
Billy T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 00:06
I am needing to stay @ $200
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 00:22
Sightron S2 3-9x42 is right at $200 and is the best scope available at this price.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 are also good options.

All three are a step or two above the ProStaff.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 05:04

Welcome to The OT, Billy!

I agree with the Dark Lord, the Pro Staff's I've looked at were weak.

The scopes he mentioned are performers.

Here's a deal if you want to go with a Nikon.......A 3-9 Monarch IF they are still in stock.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1912-218-nikon-3-9x40-monarch-ucc-rif lescope.aspx

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 06:54
with the exception of the S2 i own the other two, i like my ffII and i like my new style buckmaster and yes all three are better than the pro staff i also have a monarch and of course its a better scope yet, since i have no prior experience with the sightron scopes i cant comment on there quality and clarity so i wont say anything other than they get pretty good reviews from people in here. i wouldnt be dogging the pro staff scope either guys i think for a young kid who doesnt have a lot of money when he/she buys there first deer rifle and scope that its a really solid choice for the small investment, beats a tasco or a bsa or a barska any day and i would take it over the leupold scope walmart sells, the rifleman or whatever the hell its called, i think the difference in opinion is that you guys have way to many nice scopes and your eyes are trained to looking through good quality glass, mine are not, so the pro staff in my eyes looks good enough to kill deer for me, i hope these words dont piss either of you off, cause i dont mean to do that at all. your both well respected and both of you are full of great info that is a huge benefit to us all, so guys please dont take what i say personally.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 07:20

Thanks for the kind words, Pyro.

I'm not offended at all by your comments, quite the opposite. I appreciate your commentary as well.

Maybe I should check out another (newer) Pro Staff and see if it's improved. I haven't looked at one for at least 2 years, maybe longer, so maybe my intel is dated, or maybe I looked at a couple of lemons.

What I see is a guy with a $200 budget. For $200 the guy can really get a better scope than a

Pro Staff, at least in my opinion.

jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 08:22

Koshkin is right about the Sightron.  First of all, for the money, based on my having pawed around the market before buying, it's currently the best scope out there.  I put a 3-9 Sll on my WSM and it is performing perfectly.   Secondly, independent of the money, it is exceptional glass.  I'd compare it favorably to the Leupold VX-llls I've used.  I suggest taking a look at that one before you buy.  You'd be getting Leupold VX-lll quality glass for $200.  

Billy T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 10:18
Awesome.  I think that I will look at all those options and see what I can find out about them.  I have another quesiton.  May be a dumb one but hey I have to learn sometime.  Is one of these any better for the 100-300 yard range?  I hardly shoot at a deer 300 yards but had the chance last year.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 11:16

Originally posted by Billy T Billy T wrote:

Awesome.  I think that I will look at all those options and see what I can find out about them.  I have another quesiton.  May be a dumb one but hey I have to learn sometime.  Is one of these any better for the 100-300 yard range?  I hardly shoot at a deer 300 yards but had the chance last year.

For me, no question, 3-9x, my friend. 

All the scopes mentioned, less the Pro Staff, will perform exceptionally well for you.

Edited by cheaptrick
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 12:38
+1

If you have $200 to spend, there are better choices than ProStaff.

ILya
Puma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 13:33
I have a team realtree 2-7 on my T/C Omega, great for whitetail. I have had great results and no complaints. I havent been very easy on it either but still holds zero.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic