OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope should I buy??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope should I buy??
    Posted: June/07/2007 at 21:25
I just bought a savage predator hunter in 22-250 and I haven't decided what scope to get.  I definetly want a scope that has a built in bullet drop compensator.  I've been looking at the Zeiss rapid-z rectile scope but can't make a decision.  Please let me know what you guys think!!
Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2007 at 14:24

Budget??

Shooting discipline?

Range??

Welcome to The OT!!

Split Toe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2007 at 16:14

$800-$1500 is my budget for this scope. Coyote hunting of course. And my range is 20 yards out to 600 yards.

Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 10:24

If you don1t mind spending most of it on a do it all scope I would go for the IOR 3 to 18 power. The rings compe with it

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10169-292-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-r ifle-scope.aspx

Duce 

Duce
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 11:04

I prefer a scope that gets down to 3x on the low end. If you are calling those pesky yotes they can pop up really close at times. I would suggest staying away from a fine reticle, also. They disappear in low light. I think you would be well served by this Nikon

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8763-218-new-nikon-25-10x50-monarch-r iflescope.aspx

If you do want more power you might like what you see here

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6875&PN=1

Good luck

Split Toe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 18:46

Hey Duce,

What is IOR?  That scope looks like the ticket.  I have many questions?  I want to send it off to have it dipped to Mossy Oak Brush pattern so it will match my death stick.  I am concerned that it will not work properly if that is done.  Also, I know nothing about the mil dot that is on that scope.  I am shooting a 22-250.  How could I figure out the hash marks for distance.  Do I just take it to the range and shoot from different yardages or is there an easier way to figure it out?

Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 19:24

If you send off the scope to a profesional like

http://www.larsontactical.com/index.html

It should work just fine, this in the IOR section at SWFA our host on this website

http://www.swfa.com/c-23-ior-valdada-rifle-scopes.aspx

I highly recommend you call them and Chris can answer all your questions I have bought scopes from them on line and they are great and very knowlegable to do business with.

The owner of Larson tactical in a member or this form and has done many of the firearms you can see in the photo section. If I have a gun and scope done they will be the ones I use their work is first rate.

Ilya Koshkin is the form expert on IOR ( allso known as the dark lord of optics) You can PM him for first hand experence with the scope. I envy you I would love to have a 3 to 18 IOR but I can afford the scope not the divorice.

If you are going to us a mil-dot scope you are going to need a mil-dot master, that is the easiest way to figure out the drop and balistics needed for long range shooting. You can get the mil-dot master from SWFA too for $30 dollars.

If you are serious about accuracy and long range shooting I would recommend you buy or check out from a library the book " The Ultimate Sniper by Maj. John L. Plaster USAR (Ret.) it is published by Paladin press at

www.paladin-press.com  It is about 600 pages on long range shooting and is the text for police and military snipers.

I hope this is helpful I think you will enjoy the shooting even more with this kind of top notch equipment.

Duce         keep us up on how everything goes and take some pictures of you rig

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 19:40

This is the link to a gun that Larson tact. did for unimaginary friend that he posted on 6/4

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&PN=1

a very professional job on gun scope etc.

Duce

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 19:44
Duce
Split Toe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 20:51

Duce,

Thank you for all the info.  It is much appriciated.  I'll have to rat hole some money this summer so mama don't find out about the scope.

Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
JAR30 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAR30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2007 at 00:28
Originally posted by Split Toe Split Toe wrote:

I'll have to rat hole some money this summer so mama don't find out about the scope.

I wonder how many of us are in that situation. lol .....I bought a new RRA carA4 and one day she saw it and asked "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?" I've had it babe, you dont remember it? OH!

lol!!!

Split Toe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Split Toe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 19:43

That's exactly what she said when she saw my new savage predator hunter and that's what i said

Hit'em Hard, Cut'em Deep
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2007 at 22:00
first off i say your getting one hell of a coyote killer almost as good as my rem 788 in 22-250 and my 2nd thing for you to think about i have seen the new savage you bought and i can tell you that if you get the scope done to match the rifle DONT SET IT ON THE GROUND AND FORGET ABOUT THE CAMO ON THOSE IS THAT GOOD, you could easily lose it in the brush, but that also means that mr yote wont be able to pick it out either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic