OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

savage preditor package

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: savage preditor package
    Posted: June/07/2007 at 18:36
in the latest rifleshooter mag they did an article on the new savage varmint rifle all camo paint job accu trigger sweet price very accurate, .204 .223 and 22-250 are offered me likes the way it looks no need to tape up
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 12:36
Yeah, Savage is doing alot of innovative things these days with basically the same Varminter package, creating multiple spin offs that are all great rifles.  The single shot model, with the right handed bolt and left sided ejection port is awesome.  Big Green is offering their spin offs, but have not been as creative.  I think the big companies better take a look at Savage and consider what they are offering and come up with some competitive creative rifles of similar accuracy and price and that includes my beloved Wby.  Their Vangaurd series is a very good and accurate rifle and the base model is much more affordable (and accurate, I own one), but somehow, the way Savage markets their product, it makes you want to go out and buy one right now.  I own a Savage Low Profiler in a 22-250 and it is a tack driver out of the box at about 600 bucks.  Same for my 200 dollar 17 HMR.  Same for my son's Varminter with a synthetic stock in a .223.  More than likely, I will probably use one to build my wildcat cartridge around.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 12:50
weatherby's vanguard imo is such a better quality rig than the rem 710 or whatever the hell its called, but big green learned that the hard way with the m788. which imo back when it first came out maded the m700 look ridculous, $89 nib as opposed to whatever the m700 cost in the 60's and the 788 shot way better. which really cuts sales of the more expensive so called flag ship of the company so when the 710 came out i knew it wasnt going to be anything like the 788 accuracy wise but everything else was alike cost and ugliness. the thing about savage is that all there guns are just spin offs of current models, no economy line or real fancy line just a big family tree basically.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 14:07
The Remington 710 can't touch a Vanguard. The Weatherby has better fit, materials and is smoother to cycle with a far better trigger.
I don't know if I'm ready for a Glock trigger on a rifle, yet. But, Savage found away to lawyer proof a lighter pull and it is really a great idea.
I think Savage is doing good things and Remington and Ruger need to pay attention. Who knows what Big Green's R&D budget will be now that they are owned by the same three headed dog that has Bushmaster, Chrysler and Jeep.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 15:29
this is where winchester browning ruger and the rest needed to wake up,  none of those companies really offered an economy line rifle, although i wouldnt put the vanguard in an economy class as its price is a little above the economy's but it deserves the higher tag as the quality is way better, the savage's two major advantages are the price and the accu trigger. big green economy line is all plastic stocked i believe, at least in the savage and i believe in the vanguard you can choose to have wood.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 12:46

yeah, my exprerience w/ the remington cheapy line hasn't been great.

the stock is aweful, gray. and the action is not the best. trigger is barely acceptable.

ok, at best, shooters.

savage offers a hell of a gun for the money. and with the addition of the accutrigger, i don't see how anyone

can match the value of the savage.  did i mention that they shoot as good or better than most guns under 1000?

i am a fan.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 12:59
There is something to said for a company like Savage that can offer a rifle, right out of the box, for less than a 1000 bucks, that could be used without alteration, for competitive benchrest shooting.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 22:58
Dolphin, That about says it IMO.  Dont forget you can smith the Savage your self and the parts system is more than a creative advantage.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 18:48
trigger adjusts to 1.5 pounds factory trigger that does that is awesome.i also understand they are very easy to work on.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 18:50
mmm .204 ruger?? well maybe after i buy a cooper 52
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2007 at 20:33

Has anyone seen the new Howa Axiom? Sweet looking rifle with the knoxx recoil reducing stock.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_axiom.html

recon1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 10:15

Just bought one in 243 Win. Not as pretty as in the advertisements.

What a piece of junk. Could not get under 2" groups at 100 yds. Gave it to my Smith and he only could get about 1.5". Not very good for an advertised best long range varmint gun.

I sent it back.

recon1
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2007 at 15:34
i assume your talking about the howa axiom, and not the savage preditor seeing how the savavge doesnt come in .243 its only chambered in .223 22-250 and .204
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic