OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris New Euro Diamond binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbk216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris New Euro Diamond binoculars
    Posted: June/07/2007 at 10:06
Has anybody had the opportunity to see and try this new binocular by Burris.  I have been told that they have really stepped to the plate with this new bino for 2007. Supposedly far and above any previous offering by Burris. Comments or help please.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 11:50

JBK -

I have never tried giving them a look.  Looks like another Swarovski ELs knock-off in terms of styling (Bushnell Elites, Vortex Razors, etc.).  They had better be good if they want to sell them...$600-$900 is a very crowded space in the binocular world with several very, very good options (Meopta, Vortex, Minox, etc.).  Burris isn't exactly known for binocular quality, either, as you point out.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 12:14

They are also (along with the new Steiner Peregrine XP) ugly as sin.  The lines are strange, the half-and-half color scheme is odd, and they have, once again, blasoned their name accross it multiple times and in tacky, big, gold letters visible from hundreds of yards out (though admittedly this particular model is their most reserved effort yet.)   I mean truly, why is it Burris feels they need to turn all their products into  veritable billboards?

I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that IF (and that's a really big 'if') they perform well then appearance can quickly and easily be forgiven. (After all function should always come before fashion.)  It just seems to me like there is a whole slew of very high quality options in the same price class that have much more subtle, attractive styling and unless this Burris is "head and shoulders" above these in quality, there's just no appeal for me. That they are "far and above any previous offering by Burris" may indeed be true but, that doesn't mean they've even matched, much less exceeded, the quality of their competition.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
jbk216 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbk216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 13:04

Lucznik,

Aside from styling I was hoping that either you or Koskin, Finn, Farris and others have actually been able to "view" images through this particular offering from Burris.

I do agree with ND2000 that they indeed look or have the same style as Swarovski ELs .  I am holding out hope that Burris did hit a homerun in this particular offering and am actually awaiting further responses from others who may  have knowledge of how these hold up against the competition.

Thanks.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 14:43

jbk216,

Unfortunately, I have yet to see one of these in any sporting goods store so; I have not had the chance to handle them yet.  I have handled some of Burris' other offerings and have never been very impressed so; I'm not holding out a lot of hope for these new binoculars. I will however, give them the "once-over" when I get the chance. 

This "EL-esque" styiling seems to be quite popular.  As already pointed out, Bushnell, Vortex, Steiner, and now Burris (+ possibly some others that I'm missing?) have all come out with their own take on the design. 

What's interesting to me is that for years optics geeks and fiends (like those of us frequenting this and similar boards) have stated that the two-hinge design of porro-prism glass made them less rugged and easier to knock out of collimation than the single, "piano-hinge" design of roof prisms.  Now however, these roof prism hinges have gone kind of "porro-retro" and yet we are told that the design offers superior ruggedness. 

Seems a bit contradictory to me - though I still really like my Elite a lot.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic