OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Maybe Leupold’s not so bad after all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe Leupold’s not so bad after all
    Posted: June/06/2007 at 23:11
Here we go again, another pissing match about our favorite pet scope. "my monarch did the two step" "your Zeiss has plastic caps" "your scope is to heavy" "my Bushnell blew up" etc... etc...etc... After being involved with this forum for only a couple of months and paying attention to the various complaints about different optics, It seems as though the only bad thing being said about Leupold (VX3 in particular) is that it is over priced for what you get. It sounds to me like what you get is a pretty durable scope with some pretty decent glass. Nowhere near the complaints being said about Leupold like those being said about Zeiss and Nikon. Maybe there's something to be said for paying alittle more for this product. I know I just stirred the hornets nest up oh well, after all it is a forum.     Love, Bricat
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 04:18
There must be a reason that Leupold and Nightforce are the overwelming majority at all the 1000 yard benchrest matches. I do know that the tracking on all of my Leupolds has been 100% accurate and reliable.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 06:16

I have two Leupolds. The 3,5-10x40 VX3 for hunting. I have had this scope since 1998. I have used it in pretty rough hunting conditions and it had its share of knocks and bumps. It holds zero. Under our hunting conditions I have never had a reason to complain.

My other Leupold I bought Sep 2006. A 8,5-25x50 VX3. I cannot say that the tracking is perfect. In fact I do not trust it enough to dial in elevation etc. It however returns to zero 100% and holds zero. The glass is also pretty good for me. I have however not compared it to other expensive scopes. On similiar scopes the Leupold leaves nothing to be desired.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 08:04

my conquests, 4200's, AND now monarchs have all been flawless.

i have treated my 4200 and conquests POORLY (dropped em, knocked em, etc.)
and they have held zero season after season.

i have heard a comment or two about the plastic caps, but do they fail? i haven't heard of one cracking?

i have read several folks who claim to have used leupold's customer service (on this forum) - and said it was great.

that, in itself, states that the scope either arrived faulty, or malfunctioned.

i imagine if you search this forum, you will find more than enough evidence of leupy's failing as much or more than

forum users' other makes/models.

hey, there is nothing wrong w/ loyalty to a product line

i have had experience with all brands mentioned in this thread, and all have positive aspects.  But leupy is on the

bottom of this list for value. without a doubt.

J

Edited by jonbravado
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 08:36

all the brands in the conquest,monarch leo, 4200, whatever, offer outstanding value for the dollar, probably the most as any price range. it's when comparing across lines when the pissin match starts. (f11 vs 4200) etc. The actual difference in a catagory is still to small to really be an arguement (personally 4200 are too long and heavy) . I've torn the turrets of Leo target scopes, dented the caps, broken lens on some-- Leos warranty sells me. Sometimes on this forum the concept of glass supriority becames more criteria than it really deserves, when over all size and weight should be a consideration confusing the point that getting the shot off is the criteria. It is a good thing that so many people add to the forum about experience with Mid-priced product. It doesn't take any brains to note that S&B,swaro, etc make the "best" stuff. The catagorical classification of users doesn't say anthing either. While the majority of readers on this site are hunters, the "other" groups are going to go on with what they do, just use other web sites. Competitive events have and will be the melting pot for future products, be it civillian, LE, military or hunting.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 09:12

good points - and with all that said, leupold DOES have a better warranty / CS than most.

I just like the performance of other makes/models for the money. 

But i haven't had to send one back, either.

J

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 10:12
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Sometimes on this forum the concept of glass supriority becames more criteria than it really deserves, when over all size and weight should be a consideration confusing the point that getting the shot off is the criteria.

I agree with Dale on this one, and would add to that toughness, mechanical reliability (tracking) and repeatablity often get over looked as well.

Leupolds (VX 2 and better) are indeed very good scopes and worthy of someones consideration, to be sure. The Rifleman, VX 1, and VXL are probably the "fleas on a dog", at least in my opinion.

More later....  

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 10:32
I also go with Dale on the Leupolds in that overall appeal is great. Nice compact looking and sits well balanced on the rifle. Certainly in South Africa if you take your gun out the bag, most fellow hunters ooh and ah over the Leupold. Again not comnparing S&B, Swaro etc. The guys with that stuff on hunt in a different tax bracket to us common folk.

Edited by 8shots
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 11:12

Since I've been an O.T. member I have noticed that Leupolds have exceptional resale value on the Sample List.

The only Leupold's I have ever parted with were Vari-XII's. I did not think they had very good contrast or brightness. They never broke, though.

I have never had a problem with various M8's and VariX-III's. All of these scopes are on hunting guns and they get thrown around in trucks, boats and ORV's. They definitely have a good reputation and it isn't just about the glass.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 12:37
The nice thing about such an abundance of scopes on the market is that we can all figure out what is important for us and choose a scope that best fits our needs, wants and budgetary constraints.

As is well documented on this forum, I am not a big fan of Leupold products (and Leupold as a company), but that is a personal preference.  YMMV.

As for scopes failing, I've seen scopes from many makers crap out at some point, and very frequently, from pretty mild abuse.  All things mechanical can break.  If I have a hunt or a shoot lined up that I've been waiting for for months, I am not going to rely on a scope maker's customer service to turn the scope around quickly.  I will have a backup scope pre-mounted in repeatable mounts and sighted in, for every rifle I plan to use.  Typically, a backup scope for a hunting rifle, for me, would be some sort of a smallish fixed magnification scope that does not weight much or occupy much space.

ILya
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 20:22
Just curious, but why are you not a fan of Leupold products, and the company, if you don't mind me asking?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 20:24
im with ilya im not a leupold fan either and i have had many of them over the years
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 20:31
Personally, I have not had very good luck with Leupold products and while their customer service is very good, i would rather not have to use it.  Also, just about every time I was in the market for a Leupold scope I was able to find something as good or better for less money.  Beside, I've compared quite a few Leupold scopes with their competition side by side and Leupold's optics generally leave me underwhelmed for the money (keep in mind that I am an optics guy and as such, I am quite picky about glass; for a lot of people perhaps there would be no difference).

From a company stand point, I think Leupold displays a bit too much corporate arrogance, and their advertising campaigns practically redefine the phrase "misleading advertisement".  Most advertisements by scope companies are similarly silly, but Leupold seems to be the king of advertising BS.  I think they have gotten too big and no longer understand their customers. 

To top it all off, I've had a few conversations with Leupold reps and they were disgustingly incompetent regarding their own products.

ILya
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 22:23

I have to agree with Koshkin on many of the points. I think Leupold makes a fine product but for the money you can do better and in some cases better at less money.  I love the fact that Leupold is an American company and their customer service is very good.  What drives me nuts more then anything is not so much with the company but the sportman that buy their products and truely believe that the sun rises and sets on a golden ring and anything other than a Leupold is not worth looking at. It's like some of the people out there actually believe the marketing hype.

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

2xmaduro View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2xmaduro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 01:29
It's funny I've probably read the same forums, same reviews, etc. as you did when shopping for a new scope.  I viewed the Conquest as having the fewest complaints. 

If Leupold scopes are so reliable, how did people find out  the warranty service is so great? 
Oh well different strokes and all.......

Edited by 2xmaduro
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 09:03
Hilarious
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 11:44
People that sell optics have the best handle on their return rate and complaints vs actual sales of any particular brand. Hearing from them can be quite enlightening on what brands perform the best..... and most reliabily. Some brands you will see tons of "refurbished" models for sale thru some dealers.....other brands this soesn't seem to occur much or at all. Some brands command a good close to wholesale level resale value......others you will take quite a loss on when selling, even if still in pristine condition. They all offer good warranties in the mid level scopes....but the service and speed of replacement or repairs can be a world apart. Weight, size, and looks hold one importance while tracking, holding POI, and durability hold yet another........optical quality and price seem to rule in the decision making process but is but one part of the total package.I wonder when I'm told what ever the benchrest shooters use the most of are best......with them weight can be of prime importance, and the erectors are usually "froze" into position on any brand before long, and adjustable mounts are used. Its a buyers market, chose what works best for your application and conditions.

focus   
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
xanadu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 10:09

Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Here we go again, another pissing match about our favorite pet scope. "my monarch did the two step" "your Zeiss has plastic caps" "your scope is to heavy" "my Bushnell blew up" etc... etc...etc... After being involved with this forum for only a couple of months and paying attention to the various complaints about different optics, It seems as though the only bad thing being said about Leupold (VX3 in particular) is that it is over priced for what you get. It sounds to me like what you get is a pretty durable scope with some pretty decent glass. Nowhere near the complaints being said about Leupold like those being said about Zeiss and Nikon. Maybe there's something to be said for paying alittle more for this product. I know I just stirred the hornets nest up oh well, after all it is a forum.     Love, Bricat

Leupolds are descent scopes .... overrated .... overpriced ..... for what you get .... it's just that everybody's granddaddy bought a leupold ... thank god there's a bunch of new boys on the block .... years ago you had to buy a tasco -weaver - leupold - or a simmons and that was about it ... yea I'm old .... and have owned about all of them .... some good .... some trash  ! Leupold is pricing theirselves out of the scope market and refuse to give customers all they should for what they pay for . NO EVERY LEUPOLD IS NOT WORTH WHAT THEY CHARGE ... and you know it !  That old bullsh*t line does'nt work anymore .... " you get what you pay for "  -------------     The american consumers are getting screwed everyday by ding dongs singing that song !

Been There Done That !!!!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 12:49
I've always found that an excellent warranty and customer service is invaluable with anything you purchase and Leupold is awesome with their lifetime warranty, no receipt, no questions asked, quick turn around time. Their customer service staffs is very knowledgeable and appear to actually have field / first hand experience with their products . Adding up hundreds of years of hunting amongst my family and friends who use these rock solid scopes, only having a few failures such as tube coating wearing off from hard hunting, that's pretty good. My cousin  just sent back an old Vari-XII 4x12AO with it's coating worn and received a free new VXII 4x12AO within a week. Personally, the only time I've had to send one back , and I have several, was for a reticule change to thin duplex, got it back in less than a week. I know that there's always someone who has a horror story about a products no mater how good it is .

-Mike

Edited by mike650
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2007 at 12:53
Well, since I posted this thread four months ago I have continued to educate myself in the world of optics, both by reading and hands on experience. I actually looked through some Euro-glass and I now see that there is a difference. My latest rifle is a Remingtom 700 mountain in 30-06. After being a "Leupold guy" for the last ten years, this rifle proudly wears a brand new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Yes I am evolving and moving with the times. This will not be my last Euro-scope and to all you folks still stuck out there in "Loopy-land", I want you to know- there is life out there, outside the golden ring. Bricat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic