OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Just got my Sightron SII BS 4-16X42 mildo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ougunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just got my Sightron SII BS 4-16X42 mildo
    Posted: June/06/2007 at 16:57
I got my Sightron today.  It was about $500 from (competitor).  It is probably the best looking glass I have owned.  That isn't saying alot though.  I have had a Sightron SII mil dot a while back, a 10X Super Sniper, an IOR M2, an IOR 3X25 (don't remember the model it was for an AR), a Luepy VXIII of similar power to this 30mm tube and  with a 50mm objective (I don't remember the exact power it came with a used PSS I bought and sold long ago), a nikon buckmaster, and the only other scope I own currently besides the SII Big Sky my Leupy VXIII 1.5-5X20 (30mm tube).  There are many others but these are what I remember.

The Leupy VXIII on my PSS was the nicest glass I had looked through before.  I know there is much nicer glass than that and than my SII Big Sky.  I was just surprised that this thing from memory seems just as or more bright than the Leupy did.

Anyways it is just an awesome scope.  The glass on the big sky series is supposed to be nicer than regular SII's and it really seems alot brighter and clearer  from memory but I don't have my old scope for comparison.  The target turrets on the old SII mil dots only had 7.5 MOA adjustment per 360 degree turn which I always hated.  This one has 10MOA per turn like it should with 1/8" adjustments and the best tracking available.  The adjustments are crisper than any other scope I have handled with very audible clicks.  It has 80 MOA of adjustment in this model which is about twice the SII I had in the past and really good for a 1" tube.  The parallax adjustment is on the objective which I think is a better design although not as convenient than a side knob for it.  They made it though so the entire objective does not turn so you can still use flip up caps.  That is the only reason I have not been fond of objective adjusted focus in the past and they completely solved that issue.  The the finish is very nice.  I actually think it is alot better looking as well than my old SII but that isn't to important.  Here is the model:
 http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category& ;cat_id=1169143495

I haven't used it yet but I am highly impressed so far.  If they still have the same warranty then it's lifetime and I think you just take it to a Sightron dealer for exchange but I am not for sure.  I'll check the manual and confirm this later.  This is going to top a DPMS LR-308 with 24" bull barrel and JP 3lb trigger.

Just wanted to pass it along as I read about them here in several threads and there seems to be alot of interest but not many reviews.
ougunnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ougunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 16:59
Oops I guess I wasn't supposed to post where I got it from since my post was changed to (competitor).  I usually look here first but I didn't think riflescopes.com started selling sightrons just yet.

Edited by ougunnut
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 17:01

SWFA sells them and you would have probably saved money

Duce

Duce
ougunnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ougunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 17:04
Oh well I was just going by riflescopes.com website.  After clicking Sightron it just says coming soon.  They should change that if they don't want to lose business.  I have bought many scopes from them and usually do so unless I find good deals on ebay or in forums.

Edited by ougunnut
ougunnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ougunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 17:29
I wanted to add I know most of you know all the details about this scope.  I posted this on arfcom though so it's just copied and pasted. 
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 17:52
SWFA doesn't have sightrons listed for sale at this point, appears they don't carry them yet. If you shop around you can get some pretty good prices on them. I will have one tomorrow according to tracking info, look forward to comparing it against some other scopes in its class.Thank you for the info, they give you a new scope if you ever have any troubles with one....no repairs, just a new scope....lifetime.

focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 18:00

My kind of Warrenty

Duce

Duce
ougunnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ougunnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 19:53
Does anyone know if they changed the mil dot reticle to work like a standard mil dot?  I remember this review from a while back:  http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Sightron _SII.asp on the older sightron mil dot scopes about how they kinda just made there own mil dot system.  It obviously didn't matter to me enough to effect my decision though.   I am just curious.

I have not ever attempted to learn how to use a mil dot reticle but I do want to.  I only ever shoot on ranges though at known distances.  I just always get mil dot reticles with the intention of learning eventually .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic