OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binocular Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binocular Choices
    Posted: June/05/2007 at 10:13

I've been looking at a few choices for a new 10x hunting binocular.  Trying to narrow between:

Alpen Rainer 10x42. - $855

(I currently own Alpen Apex 8x42 and I am very impressed with the value of these binos.)

Meopta Meostar 10x42-$850 or $800 for Cabelas Euro

Minox HG 10x43 -$790

Vortex Razor 10x42 -$720

Anyone have any experience with any of these binoculars?  Image quality, low light quality, like/dislikes?

Thanks

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 22:21
This is a pretty tough call.  I am not very well familiar with the particular models, but I have played with 7x-8x-8.5x versions of all of these binoculars except the Alpens.  Between Minox, Vortex and Meopta, it is a tough call.  All three are very good and all three balance and handle very differently, so you should really try all three if you can.

Assuming you are equally comfortable with the weight and handling qualities, I would probably lean toward the Razors because of the superior eyecups and excellent resolution, but all three are quite good.

ILya
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 07:33
Koshkin, which of the two that you have for sale seems the better binocular to you the Minox or the Meopta?  Do you still have both of them?  What are you using at this time.  Thanks
Birdhunter
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by birdhunter birdhunter wrote:

Koshkin, which of the two that you have for sale seems the better binocular to you the Minox or the Meopta?  Do you still have both of them?  What are you using at this time.  Thanks

Meopta is a better binocular in terms of optics.  Minox is a fair bit lighter though and is still very good.

ILya
swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 14:46

Koshkin,

How do the Vortex binos compare to the Meopta in terms of clarity, brightness?  Thanks

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 16:40
Originally posted by swilkens swilkens wrote:

Koshkin,

How do the Vortex binos compare to the Meopta in terms of clarity, brightness?  Thanks

Both are very clear.  I think Meopta is a little brighter (higher light transmission is a better way to describe this), and is a little better in low light.  Meopta colors, however, are a little warmer and produce a very slight yellowish tint (extremely slight), so if you are looking for the best color accuracy, Razor's a re a little better.  If you are looking for low light performance, Meopta is a little better.

ILya
swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 21:28
Anyone have any experience with the Alpen Rainier or even the Alpen Tetons?  lLya-I haven't heard much about Vortex, are they a new company?  Quality?  Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 21:47
Vortex is a new company and their stuff seems pretty good.  Razor is their top of the line binocular and it is very good.

ILya
swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2007 at 08:25
Has anyone looked through the new Alpen Rainer or Teton series?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 09:38
swilkens,

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=12135&m=
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 09:46

swilkens,

Outdoor Life just "reviewed" the Alpen Ranier and they give it a bit "thumbs up."

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2007 at 21:35
I just purchased a pair of 10x42 Alpen Rainiers on ebay for $499 shipped.  They were a demo pair.  Not bad considering the cheapest I can find them anywhere else is $840.  I will try and let everyone know how they are when I get them.  Thanks again everyone!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 08:07

i look forward to your findings.  i have had no experience w/ that company.

J

swilkens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2007 at 09:04

I received the Alpen Rainiers in the mail this week and haven't had a good chance to really test them out too much yet, however what little I have done with them I've been very impressed.  Very sharp image quality and color.  Great 4 position locking eye cups and very good brightness.  My only complain so far is the weight.  They are a little on the heavy side, but something I'm willing to sacrifice with the excellent image quality.  I'll try and post more as I get a chance to use them more.

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic