OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barska vs. other compacts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barska vs. other compacts
    Posted: June/05/2007 at 07:20
OK, I see all the reviews of the Barska and it sounds mixed, mostly negative. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good, inexpensive, compact scope that will fit an SKS.(They eject upward so a compact scope is essential to prevent the ejected shell case from hitting the scope).

Edited by tenguage
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 12:07
Mounting a scope on the SKS is kinda tough.  The best way is to drill and tap the receiver and mount a scope in a russian side-mount (like POSP scope for example) that keeps the scope slightly to the left.  Choate dril and tap mount also works well, but since the scope is above the receiver, you have to a get a case deflector (there are a lot of them out there).  The only receiver cover mount I know of that works well (and I tried them all) is the one from DC Engineering, but it is expensive and customer service if something happens is poor.

As for scopes short enough for the SKS over the receiver mounting, there are not a lot of them that are worth the money.  Your best bet is looking into various red dot sights which are typically shorter (that is what I am did for my DC Engineering mount) or buy a shell deflector.

I will be trying a scout setup on a different SKS shortly.  I'll report on the results.

ILya
tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 13:49
What I decided to do is go with the shell deflector that mounts to the front sight. I did not like the kind that mounts to the scope screws - another potential source of inaccuracy.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2007 at 14:03
Shell deflector that mounts to the front sight?  how does that work?

which mount are you using for the scope?

ILya
tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 09:24
I have what is called a New Generation mount that you can get from e-bay but typing those words and SKS. It requires some smithing but that enables a better fit. The shell deflector pops into place and deflects the casing outward just as it says. It costs about 10 bucks and you get it from competitor.com.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 12:58
Ah, that one.  It will not hold zero all that well and will not come back to anywhere near zero after you remove the topcover for cleaning.  Expect to be re-zeroing it a lot.

ILya

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2007 at 18:27

The SKS is not designed to use optics.

ranburr

tenguage View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenguage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 07:09
I do have to re-zero it but what the heck. I enjoy going to the range anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic