OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for 243

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnyotehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for 243
    Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:28
 am having a custom 243 built mainly for coyotes and maybe a whitetail once in awhile,andinformal taget shooting at 200 yards or less.My hunting shots will be mostly under 100 yards.I was thinking of either:
Zeiss conquest 3-9
weaver grand slam 4.5-14x40
nikon monarch 2.5-10x42
bushnell elite 4200 4-16x40
nikon monach 4-16x42
leupold 3.5-10x40
Leupold 4.5-14x40
which one should i get? decision's, decision's Big Grin
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 10:01
Good choices in my opinion I would go for the Bushnell 4200 or Nikon 4x16. The extra power is worth it. Nothing against the others, but I think you will be happier with the extra power.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 10:31

conquest, 4200, or monarch would be fine choices.

3-9x40 would be plenty - and a 243 is pretty flat at 200 yrds, so........

i think any of the above would be perfect.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 19:54

I'd go with 4.5x14 or 4x16 for what you are building, the 4200,conquest,or and this wasn't on your list, the sightron big sky. These scopes will be excellant for day or night hunting if its allowed in your state.  Good Shooting

focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 23:19
My vote goes for the conquest with #4 reticle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 13:18
leupy 3.5x10 as far as polls go
gconnoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gconnoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 13:37

if you plan on using it at night try something with a 50mm lens. Maybe illuminated reticle to.

Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50mm.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200 -30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 18:38
i always used a 3x9 for coyotes with my m70 xtr .243 with bull barrel, sometimes you get those dogs that sneak up on you and 15 yards on 4 power is well scary to say the least so i would steer away from the 4x scopes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2007 at 17:27
P has a point there regarding close encounters. I have hunted at night with the 3-9 Conquest and  3.5-10 Leupold, they both work great and when dialed down pick up those close in doggies.
I also have a few Monarchs, though not the 2.5-10. They have great glass for the money and are definitely a good choice.
Also, aesthetics matter IMO. If it is a sporter weight predator gun, I like smaller scopes. On my heavy barreled guns I put the bigger scopes. This pertains only to looks, though.
The 3-9x40's in a Conquest, Monarch or 4200 are a great all around choice for deer and coyote in a short action rifle. I think you can add the 3.5-10 Leupold to this, also.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 10:16

I have a puppy popper in .243. My choice was the Savage 11 Accu-Trigger (custom built) fat barrel in a Choate Varminter stock. On this toy lives a Nikon 4 x 16 Tactical scope. This little package will shoot minute of eye ball on a dog at 100 yards. Literally sub half minute groups. The 3 to 4 power is good for up close shots, BUT, keep in mind that 97% or more shots are going to be placed at 100+ yards on Mr. Wiley. Myself, I went with the odds.

Last ...... don't skimp on the rings. Find the best ones you can afford and buy the next ones up. I hope my 2 cents worth was helpful to you.

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 20:37
you must have some smart coyotes where  you live cause every time i got out calling i never have taken a shot past a hundred yards, unless one of the other guys in the group misses the first shot or we call a couple 3 coyotes in a once, we have called coyotes in close enough you could hear them breath and then you had to aim down the side of the barrel or reach out with one hand and pull the trigger.in all my years of coyote hunting i can only think of a handfull of time that we took shots over 75 yards, and 90% of those times it was due to human error, bad shot most of the time.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2007 at 22:19

You are a very fortunate man to live in a place with that many stupid Coyotes. I guess the dogs out here are hunted a little harder, and are a little more cautious?? You must live in a heavily wooded area??  

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 06:14
actually its wyoming, and the coyotes get hunted pretty hard, but my bro in law is pretty damn convincing on a mouth call
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 09:37

Sounds like I need to meet you and your brother in-law ( Randy Anderson by chance ? ) and learn how to talk dog a little better. If memory serves me, when I lived just out side of Billings, we used to only hunt Coyotes in the winter. In the 70's those puppy pelts were worth a pretty penny. A person could make better than a weeks wages with a snow mobile and a decent rifle. That's been awhile back. Here in Oregon, Coyotes wear camouflage and run.

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 20:53
dont ask me how he does it, but i havent ever been around anyone who calls as well as he does he carries a jack rabbit and a cottontail call, and mostly he uses the jack rabbit, my dad shot a coyote in the middle of elk season in 1978 with his 30-06 which went from end to end on the dog and the exit hole was huge he sewed him up and still got 110 for it, the best dogs we ever sold were in the 60 dollar range but that was the exception, most went for 30-40 but we took very good care of them and yes we only hunted them in the winter, decked out in white, we had this system to wheir we knew where the dog was and when to shoot and we didnt lose more than 2 dogs in  many winters. i dont call i just shoot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 09:36
I like the 2.5-10 x 40 Elite 4200.  It's a great all around scope and plenty of power for deer or yotes at distances of responsible marksmanship.  Turn it down and it's a great close-up scope for woods or close in varminting.  Not to mention the 4200 scopes are excellent and a great value.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2007 at 09:42
2.5x10 or 3x9 are very good choices imo for coyote hunting.some days i wish i had open sights though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic