OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leup 3-9X33EFR OR 4200 3-9X40??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leup 3-9X33EFR OR 4200 3-9X40??
    Posted: June/04/2007 at 10:45
How do these compare optically??
I would have liked AO but I would rather have better optics and no AO.
Looking for a good lightweight 3-9 scope.

Thanks.
Master Debater
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 11:07
AO and lightweight do not go together. AO in my opnion is only needed for target shooting or where you have a lot of time to fiddle with the AO to focus it. In other words AO is more of a hinderance on a general hunting scope. So first decide for what purpose you need the scope.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 11:13

usually AO in smaller ranges of variables are used for really close focusing such as rimfires. most AO's on say a 3.5 to 10 is virtually in focus from 100 thru 400 yards, because the thread pitch in the ao has a really short throw.

Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 11:43
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

AO and lightweight do not go together. AO in my opnion is only needed for target shooting or where you have a lot of time to fiddle with the AO to focus it. In other words AO is more of a hinderance on a general hunting scope. So first decide for what purpose you need the scope.

The Leupold is 11oz and has AO.
I know what the scope is going to be used for.
I am asking for optical comparisons between the 2 scopes I have mentioned.
Not a lesson in how to choose a scopes best use.

Leupold 3-9X33EFR and 4200 3-9X40.

Thanks again.
Master Debater
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 12:00

4200 or nikon monarch UCC - 3-9x40 is about the best for the buck.

J

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 12:11
murph after that I'd be suprized if you get a response no two people on this forum agree on what constitutes better optical comparison.

Edited by Dale Clifford
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

murph after that I'd be suprized if you get a response no two people on this forum agree on what constitutes better optical comparison.

Maybe so but if I ask is scope X better than scope Z?
If ten people say scope X is better than scope Z,
I have a good idea which one may be better without being able to test them myself.
This is the only place on the net I know of where I can ask scope questions and get good educated answers.

Master Debater
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 12:57

well you aren't comparing two 3-9x40's - THAT would be a fairer comparison

i like the optical qualities of the 4200 as much as zeiss conquests and monarchs.

it's hard to compare different models of different makes. 

although i haven't had a EFR leupold in my hands - for that price, i would say it pales in comparison to the 4200's glass/coatings.

From my experience, you have to spend 600+ on a leupold to get the good stuff.

The 4200's are rock solid.

good luck and Godspeed.

J

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 13:06
Between these two Elite 4200 has better glass.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 13:13
Elite has better glass.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 13:14
Here it goes again--optical quality are just words, there is no physical parameters involved it can only be a value judgement-- if the poster wishes to list a criteria at which they describe it and it agrees with someone else then thats what you have and only that--- x amount of people agree at some point in time. Given a forum where the contributers are more informed than the norm, the disparity can only be greater.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 13:21
Since the original poster did not specify the exact use and merely said that he want a good lightweight 3-9x40, I assume it is for general hunting/shooting use, i.e. targets at different distances, of different sizes and at diifferent illumination.

I typically think of optical quality as being able to see your target well (with good contrast and resolution) under differing lighting conditions.

Given above, Elite 4200 has better optical quality.   Leupold may have an advantage if you want to use higher magnification at very close ranges due to AO, but for other conditions, Elite 4200 has better glass.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 13:21

Here it goes again--optical quality are just words, there is no physical parameters involved it can only be a value judgement-- if the poster wishes to list a criteria at which they describe it and it agrees with someone else then thats what you have and only that--- x amount of people agree at some point in time. Given a forum where the contributers are more informed than the norm, the disparity can only be greater.

So is that a vote for the Leupold or the Elite??
Master Debater
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:55

Well, you are right there Dale. I did not want to sound as though giving an optics "lesson" which he did not want.

So here goes the reason for my opinion.

I hunt with someone who has the Leupold on a predator gun. It is serviceable enough, but when low light comes the  brightness compared to the Elite really falls short by close to ten minutes. That is a long time in dog years. Mine is on a .22 mag and can be used to well after dark on frozen lakes on clear nights. No way with the Leupy.

Regarding contrast, I also do a lot of range time with my brother and the Elite is much cleaner than the Leupold. There is almost a cloudiness to the Leupy picture. I believe if you want to get good glass in a Leupold the VXIII or the FX are more comparable to the 4200.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 17:44

No price limit was mentioned, if low light is a consideration and price is not I would go for the Zeiss (German) or Nightforce. Lots of choices available budget and use information would be a lot of help in the choice

Duce 

Duce
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 06:13

Murphy.177 No optics lesson given, merely a rhetorical statement to help those that you solicit an opinion from what the parameters are. In the camera world some very definitive tests are done on lenses and these tests allmost takes the human factor out of the equasion. A typical test report is some 4 pages long. No such tests are done on scopes that I am aware of. Hence you have to ask other peoples opinion. For us to give you an opinion you have to give us more info and if you do not want stupid questions asked or lessons given then also give your resume with your posting.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 07:33

Hence you have to ask other peoples opinion. For us to give you an opinion you have to give us more info and if you do not want stupid questions asked or lessons given then also give your resume with your posting.

How much more info can I give??
I asked for a comparison between 2 scopes, which is the better scope??
So the answer is A or B.

Master Debater
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

No price limit was mentioned, if low light is a consideration and price is not I would go for the Zeiss (German) or Nightforce. Lots of choices available budget and use information would be a lot of help in the choice

Duce 

I would have the Swarovski AV 3-9 X 36 over any of them if price was not an option.
Master Debater
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 09:28
Originally posted by Murphy.177 Murphy.177 wrote:

Hence you have to ask other peoples opinion. For us to give you an opinion you have to give us more info and if you do not want stupid questions asked or lessons given then also give your resume with your posting.

How much more info can I give??
I asked for a comparison between 2 scopes, which is the better scope??
So the answer is A or B.

I should have read your resume "Master Debater". I have rapped myself over the knuckles for assuming that you required the opnion of the forum members, whilst you are actually conducting a survey.

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 12:01
    Hi Murphy 177...............You will get more for your money with the Elite 4200!  In a side by side comparison, you would have to step up to the Leupold VX111 to match the 4200`s optics!!!! Leupolds are very good scopes but overpriced for what you get!!!!..........With the Elite`s patented Rainguard feature, ANY weather condtion, will never be a problem! No weather condition will prevent you from your shot! The construction is outstanding with a one piece hammer forged aluminum/titanium tube for maximum possible durability in the field..........I have said this before and I don`t mind saying it again.........The Elite 4200, FOR THE MONEY, is the best scope on the market! .....Go with the Elite 4200 in the 3x9!....I own one and love it!!!!............................................Big Squeeze!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic