OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cooper 52

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper 52
    Posted: June/02/2007 at 09:08
i just got my latest issue of rifle shooter and there was an add for the cooper m52 which i thought really looked hot, until i saw  the price, guess if  i want one i will have to save my sheckels for a while.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 09:38

They run right around $1600 for the Classic which is not too bad considering the quality. 

Someone around here has one of their rimfires, maybe DC, and he can speak more of the quality. The ones I have seen have beautiful wood and the fit and finish is excellent.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 09:49
yeah that was one of the things about the cooper that really caught my eye was the beautiful wood, and they chamber it up in the .280 which is what i would buy.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 09:59

The Coop's are indeed NICE!!

I have never shot one, but saw some groups from one a guy had.....  TIGHT!!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:01
i was just on there site checking it out and maybe getting one in a 6.5x.284 would be a nice whitetail rifle.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:23

pyro,

I have 2 of their m21 varmint rifles -- a Varmint Extreme in .223 and a Varminter in 6mm PPC.  They are like all other Coopers I've seen -- outstanding fit and finish, beautiful wood, very attractive styling, and overall, just well-made.  Although the triggers aren't quite up to par with some of the better aftermarket triggers available for the Rem700 platform, they are very good and can be adjusted to a very crisp, light pull.  Mine are beyond accurate, some of the most accurate non-benchrest rifles I've ever fired.  Both have digested many 1,000s of rounds without a hiccup (in fact in about another year, the .223 will be due for another barrel from the 10s of 1,000s of round fired through it).  My only real criticism of Cooper rifles is the bolt stop uses a tiny dowel pin that is rather weak and can break easily if you open the bolt with too much force.  I also wish they offered a true match grade custom barrel option for a little more money, but the Wilson barrels they do use have been extremely accurate as-is for a factory rifle ... or really, they're semi-custom rifles.  I love my Coopers and plan to buy another in the future!

Yes, they are expensive compared to other factory rifles, but really they aren't when you consider what you get.  For a rifle with above average wood, nice, hand-cut checkering, tight wood to metal fit, and impeccable finish that will also outshoot most other factory rifles, the price is really quite reasonable -- less than many of the 30mm Euro scopes cost.  When I return from my vacation, I can send you a couple pics of these rifles if you wish.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:34

Roy Finn is into the 22 side of Cooper, I have the model 22 Phoenix in 6.5x284 which I use for 1000 yd targets shooting. 140 gr Berger BC .640 at about 2700 fps. 20 moa drop to 1000 yds. Outstanding dollar value. Don't forget they are single shots.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:43
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Don't forget they are single shots.

Except the M52 pyro was inquiring about, which is a sporter weight hunting rifle with magazine, and the M57 rimfire.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:43
they just look so nice i couldnt keep my eyes away, i dont like wood just for the simple fact that i feel guilty every time i get a new scratch but the old saying goes i didnt buy it to put it in a museum, i bought it to use it, if it aint scratched you aint using it right. the 52 in a .280 would be a nice addition to the collection course i buy one of those and i would have to step up and put a zeiss divari on it or a swaro a line or something really spendy
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:54

I love good wood and haven't worried about scratches since I got into double guns for grouse years ago.

The 6.5-.284 would be an excellent choice. An uncommon caliber for an uncommon gun.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 10:57
the 6.5x.284 is nice because i know i can get brass for it, its a little spendy compared to like a 30-06 or .270 but its a neat round, but it would need a great piece of glass to complete it. so there goes $2000-2500
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 11:10
Closer to 3 after dies, bullets, powder sales tax, tips, gratudies etc.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 11:14
very true
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 19:06
...but after the initial pain, you'd have a helluva nice rig that you'd be very proud of!  The 6.5-.284 is a great chambering for it as well -- very versatile, effective cartridge!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2007 at 11:50
Pyro6999, I know you have wanted a .280 Remington for quite sometime because of your Grandfather, so if I were you I would wait on the 6.5-.284.  I know I am going to catch grief on what I am going to say next, but who cares.  Cooper good, Weatherby better.  I love wood and I know you prefer synthetic.  So, I thought I would leave you several listings on gunbroker for some Weatherbys in a .280 Remington.  One is a wooden stock and used, all of the others have synthetic stocks and BNIB.  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73069039, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73319837, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73005094 (used Accumark), http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72923864 (used lightweight sporter with a wooden stock).
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 15:34
you still pushin those weatherbys-- pyros gran would roll over in his grave.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:33
Don't you love it DC.  Did you read the article in the most recent Rifle Shooter on handloading for the 240 Wby..  I just love to hear stories about Roy, his calibers and guns.  I love to hear how great they are, don't you DC.  By the way, I do like the Cooper, probably will get one some day, not sure which one, but since I love a wooden stock, it will be equipped as such.  Problem is, there are to many rifles I want to get, but can't for alot of reasons, mainly money.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:36
well the fact that it is a 280 could carry the rest of the gun.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:41
DC, be polite. I know that me and the many writers, PHs, guides and other experts can't be all wrong.  Besides, different strokes for different folks. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 20:30

I will still get a MarkV in .300 Wby as I have hunted with one and love those guns. In fact I will get one long before a Cooper.

As for the Cooper, no Weatherby I have seen can touch the fit and finish I have seen on them. The Cooper is as smooth cycling as that big fat Weatherby bolt, too, and their 1/2" 100yd accuracy guarantee is pretty impressive.

Thank God Cooper didn't make a LaserMark.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic