OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help on new scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help on new scope
    Posted: May/30/2007 at 20:25

ok here is the deal, i am thinking about replacing a 6 yr old burris ffII, planning on putting new scope on browning abolt in 300wsm white tail and black bear hunting possibly elk  but the problem is that the 3 scopes i have narrowed down to i know nothing about, so i need your help in picking the winner, here are the choices that i am favoring

1 kahles kx 3x9

2 meopta R1 3x10

3 ior 2.5x10

any input on any of these would help me out a bunch.

also if you feel something comparable that i didnt mention comes to mind let me know. and i will take a look

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 20:53

Pyro,

Of those, I'd get the Kahles without second thought.  I have a couple Kahles scopes, and in comparison to other fine scopes, I personally think they are the best hunting scopes you can buy for less than $1000, period.  I've never owned or used a Meopta scope, but haven't heard anything but positive comments about Meopta's optics.  I just don't think Meopta's name is as well respected, certainly not as well-recognized as Kahles, and I don't think a Meopta scope would retain its value as well if you ever decided to sell it for that reason.  I also have more faith in the Kahles warranty and customer service than the other two as well.  I own an IOR scope, and wouldn't be hesitant about buying another based on the fantastic optics of the one tactical model I have.  However, for big game hunting, I like Kahles' selection of scopes and reticles better than IOR's. 

I would also consider the Zeiss Conquest in the same company as those scopes, but I think Kahles is a little better optically.  The Conquest is a very good scope though, and I wouldn't pass on one if it offered a reticle or magnification/objective size config I preferred.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 20:59

ted isnt the conquest a little out of the league of these scopes???

the 7a reticle in the ior works for me. the kahles 4a is nice also

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:19

I think the Conquest is a notch below the Kahles and IOR optically (and I'm admittedly basing the IOR assumption on the 1 sample I own, a tactical model no less).  I don't know about the Meopta, but my guess based solely on the reviews of others is that it's also positioned higher on the food chain than the Conquest.  However, the Conquest probably wouldn't be far behind those.  I mentioned it only because you asked for other suggestions and I thought it was the closest comparable line to those price- and quality-wise.

I really think you'd be very well-served with any of your 3 choices.  Once you get into that class of scope, they're all good.  If you like the IOR 7a reticle the best, I think that's good enough reason to go with it.  I would just personally go with the Kahles based on a combination of optical quality, and my own reticle, size, weight, and physical appearance preferences, plus my complete satisfaction with other Kahles products.  I've heard nothing but positive comments about Kahles customer service (same CS center in Cranston, RI as Swarovski), something I can't say about IOR and Meopta.  But, I could easily go with the IOR as well.  The Meopta is probably a worthy contender too, I just have no experience with it to draw from.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:24
ted if i go with a kahles should i have any fears about maybe buying one off the sample list??? i like the 4a reticle that the kahles kx has, the other two scopes i chose because they look like a gamble to me you know what i mean, dark horses if you will, kahles name is familiar with me the other two are not, the ior and the kahles seem like the way i will go, i guess i should look at the numbers on them to see if they sway my vote one way or another.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:38
I've bought several items off the Sample List and have never had a bad experience with it, or for that matter, any transaction with SWFA.  Even though IOR isn't as well-known as Kahles, I can tell you if the one IOR scope I have is any indication of what can be expected from their entire line, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.  I just find IOR's offerings more attractive for varmint/target/tactical use than for general hunting, but that's just me.  On a hunting rifle, I like a more compact scope, and Kahles' optics take a back seat to nobody except the 30mm models from the "Big 3," and then not by a huge margin... at least to my eyes.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:40
how do the 2 fair in early morning and late afternoon light levels??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:48

Both are fantastic in any light.  It's hard for me to make a fair comparison, though, as the Kahles scopes I have are 1" tube, 2-7X and 3-9X, and my IOR is a 4-14X with 50mm objective.  I'm sure there are others who'll be able to give you a better comparison, though. 

But again, all are pretty much as good as it gets without breaking the $1K barrier.  You won't be disappointed!

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:50
thanks for the info ted helpful as usual yeah i hope i can get some input from some other members.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 06:21
where is the dark lord when i need him??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 06:33

I think Ted hit the nail on the head regarding Kahles. To get better you would have to take the big plunge and spend several hundred more.

My 2.2-9 is a 30mm as is my brothers 1.5-6. They fit on the M700's and don't look out of place. I judge all of my scopes against the 7X42 Zeiss binos I glass with. My Kahles is the only scope I have that will let me see a deers antlers that I pick up with the binos @ 300yds. This is at dusk or dawn.

I think the SampleList Kahles are very attractive.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 06:35
so that looks like 2 votes for kahles thanks for the oppinon tahqua,sound like a good piece of glass for all light levels
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 07:50

make it 3 votes - kahles offers tremendous quality for the money.

J

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 20:24
im surprised i havent heard any meopta or ior owners pipe in whats the deal, or am i comparing scopes that are too different?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:50
I think the Meopta you are considering is a little short on eye relief for the rifle you plan to put it on.  Both IOR and Kahles have a bit more eye relief and are better choices.

I have not seen the new KX scopes enough to make a substantive impression, but Kahles glass is uniformly excellent.  That having been said, I am not convinced it is any better than a current production IOR.  To say for sure I would have to spend some time with them side by side.  For a hunting rifle, Kahles is probably preferable due to smaller size and lighter weight, but IOR is a little cheaper. 

Beyond that it really becomes a toss-up.  IOR has a 4x erector vs Kahles' 3x mechanism, but I am not sure that makes any sort of practical difference.  If the specs on SWFA's website are accurate, IOR has a little more field of view at the low range, so that may make some difference if you expect close shots.

Ultimately, it is a matter of what you prefer.  Both scopes are quite good and you will not be disappointed with either.  The only other recommendation I can make is to get a #4 reticle.  I think it makes a difference in low light.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:55
thanks ilya  most of my shots are inside of 100 yds but every once in a while the 300 yd shot will present itself yes i planned on the #4 reticle, as far as size and weight i dont spend very much time walking, just to my deer stand, so thats not an issue, i guess i need to find a place that has both on hand so i could look through them side by side.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic