OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Red Mist Extreme ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boodlum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Red Mist Extreme ??
    Posted: May/28/2007 at 17:01
Anybody got experience with Leupold's VX-L 6.5-20x56 Red Mist Extreme Varminter scope?  Yes I know the red splatter-paint ain't for everybody but I like it.

What I'd like to know is how far away it will resolve a prairie dog, how the Varmint Hunter reticle works and what height rings work with the 56mm VX-L objective? Also how does the 1/10 moa adjustment work out?  Seems like a lot of clicks to me but...

tia

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:27
haven't got one of these yet, waiting to see between it and a vx7. normal leo 20 will resolve dogs to 600 yds easy, and that's hidden in the shadows. I been experimenting with leo aluminas on a 6.5x20 this season and it is amazing how the combination of the blue and the red one makes the red in the coats, come out and easier to spot. med rings should work depending on the make of course. I use a varmit reticle on a 4.5x14 leo on a pro varmit kimber 69 gr SMK and hits on dogs out to 500 with reticle about 70% of the time. Personally I'm all for the 1/10 clicks since this offers a finer adjustment that 1/8 which is the beggining of target type scopes. Since the reticle uses hold over anyway the smaller click steps would not be a hinderance.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 18:15

I agree with Dale on this.  I have the VX-III 6.5-20 with VH reticle, and I have no problems connecting with dogs out to an honest 500 with about 70% hits, provided the wind isn't too outrageous and doesn't dramatically change speed and direction.  I find most of my misses are left and right wind-induced, so once I get the distance nailed down, I've been very deadly with the VH reticle.  I've found it to be remarkably effective on PDs without being overly "busy," and it's nice and THIN, a good thing for small varmints at long range.  I also agree in thinking the 1/10 clicks would actually be an asset, since I use the reticle for holdover more than dialing in firing solutions and PDs are small targets.

As much as I hate to admit it, I too think the red splatter finish is just radical enough that I like it for the type of rifle it would be used on.  I also dig the "non-politically correct" name as well!  Despite the beating Leupys in general have taken on this forum, I think VX-III resolution is better than Burris Sig, and fully the equal of Elite 4200, but with greater model selection than 4200 on the plus side; usually higher price on the minus side.  My complaint about Leupold in general is the variable eye relief and Leupy's refusal to adopt the Euro style fast focus across the board.  Some say they're overpriced, and to an extent I agree in comparison to their competition, but that really depends on the particular model being considered, so that's not always the case.  Plus, unlike a traditional hunting rifle, the right reticle is extremely important to me on a varmint rifle -- just as important as optical performance, if not more so -- and I'm willing to pay quite a bit extra for a good, effective reticle.  I think the VH reticle is one of the best available for long range prairie rat extermination.  I've never warmed up to the crescent shaped objective appearance on the VX-L, though -- I think it's kinda cheesy looking, but that's just me.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic