OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles or Conquest decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles or Conquest decision
    Posted: May/28/2007 at 09:09

I've finally reached the point where it's time to stop lurking. I just got my 25-06 back from Ruger for it's rebarrel and I'm needing some glass. Originally I was just going to go with a 3-9x40 Conquest, but then I got to thinking about how much I really was willing to spend. This was the first center-fire I ever bought, I've had it 20 years now and will own it for the rest of my life so spending a couple hundred more is justified. I'm stuck between the 4.5-14x44 Conquest and the 3-9x42 Kahles AH. So what do you fellas in the peanut gallery suggest? Slightly better optics and build quality in the Kahles, or the higher power of the Conquest.

Oh, this rifle is a sporter weight that's used for rugged terrain mulies...shots can get kinda long, out to 400 yards which is my self-imposed limit.

TIA

Hey guys watch this, see that Prairie Dog waaay out there?
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 13:05

I think the 4.5x14x44 would be little of an over kill. Kahles would be my pick.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 14:55

I am biased towards Kahles because I own one. My brother also has both Kahles and Conquest and he prefers Kahles. You would be well served by either one. 

This might be some useful information:

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6260&KW=ah

I think a 3-9 is more than powerful enough for any  reasonable deer hunting range.

Good luck and welcome to O.T.

jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 20:00
Check out the JUNE/JULY OUTDOOR LIFE optics test issue. There's some dispute in this forum about it's objectivity,but it's the closest thing I've seen in a national publication where they actually attempted to review hunting optics. The advertisers always seemed more important than the readers in other publications.It may not be gospel,but at least OUTDOOR LIFE claims to have used scientific instruments to measure resolution and light transmission. After seeing the tests,you may not want to spend the extra money on KAHLES or ZEISS CONQUEST!
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 20:58

jkll i went to outdoor life but couldnt find the article your talking about but i did check out some optic reviews they did in the past and after what they found i dont  believe it.they tested a kahles and S and B and claim they did poorly in lowlight situations where some fairly inexpensive scopes did very well.sorry just dont believe that.i dont think i will be putting much trust in there reviews.

Lobber either the conquest or kahles will serve you fine. Kahles AH is the best between the two.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 21:28

Welcome, Lobber! 

I personally think the Kahles scopes I've used were optically superior to the Zeiss Conquest to a noticeable degree (at least to my eyes), but both are very good, and I suspect there's some subjectivity involved.  However, I think it's worth noting that among OT members who've owned/used both the Kahles and Conquest, I've never heard from anyone who thought the Conquest was superior to the Kahles, yet several that have had the opposite opinion.

I place almost zero value on the Outdoor Life reviews, based on numerous inconsistencies and just plain bogus info they've given in the past.  Even though there will always be some dispute among different testers based on different test protocols, I own or have owned several of the scopes they tested and in head to head comparisons, I draw entirely different conclusions than they do to my eyes.  Then, there have been a couple other so-called "scientifically" conducted tests I've seen that directly dispute the OL results.  I don't believe a standardized testing protocol has been developed for comparing optical performance, or at least if one has, I've never seen it.  Therefore, I would take any of these magazine reviews with a grain of salt.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 01:08

I would get a Conquest in 3-9x40.  I don't see a significant improvement in the Kahles line unless you step up to the CL multi-zero offering.

ranburr

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 08:04

kahles KX would be a wonderful choice for just a little more money -

they have excellent optics and reticles.

it will beat a conquest, handsdown.

J

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 09:37

Originally posted by jkll jkll wrote:

Check out the JUNE/JULY OUTDOOR LIFE optics test issue. There's some dispute in this forum about it's objectivity,but it's the closest thing I've seen in a national publication where they actually attempted to review hunting optics. The advertisers always seemed more important than the readers in other publications.It may not be gospel,but at least OUTDOOR LIFE claims to have used scientific instruments to measure resolution and light transmission. After seeing the tests,you may not want to spend the extra money on KAHLES or ZEISS CONQUEST!

I haven't been able to find this article.  What does OL recommend the reader buy? 

I'm with RifleDude on this one as well.  I've read quite a few of their review on scopes that made me wonder what they were looking through?  I am very familiar with the two scopes you're considering & my eyes tell me that you're going to be spending in excess of $1,100 to do better than the Kahles.  The Conquest is excellent and certainly no slouch but not quite as good as the Kahles.

**EDIT-- I did find an OL review from 4/07 on their website.  They indicated that they preferred a CABELLAS OUTFITTER 4X12 40MM over a Kahles AH 305x10 50mm!!!!!  Said they were disappointed with resolution & low light performance with the Kahles but gave the $400 Cabellas scope a "Great Buy" rating...  Whatever!

Edited by ceylonc
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 09:55
Ruger barrel? Before I'd drop a ton of money, I'd see how it shoots.  If it does not beat 1 moa, then you have your answer. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 15:25

I own a few Conquests and like them; however, I would say the Kahles is the better optic (I didn't buy them because I have unique requirements and Kahles didn't fit them.)

Both will serve you well for many years to come.  I really like the Zeiss and have nothing but good things to say - but i do notice a slight difference when compared to the equal Kahles (the newer, not tht older American Hunter.)

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:17
had 4.5x14 conquest, and wasn/t impressed in the least, never looked thru the Kahles, but I'm sure it's better, Use a 2.5x10x50 diavari as a beater on semi autos, built well, but the tunnel effect on lower powers suck. Silver has it, see if the barrel is any good, before making serious decisions, you may want to look at barska
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:21

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Silver has it, see if the barrel is any good, before making serious decisions, you may want to look at barska

jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:29
Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

Originally posted by jkll jkll wrote:

I haven't been able to find this article.  What does OL recommend the reader buy? 

I'm with RifleDude on this one as well.  I've read quite a few of their review on scopes that made me wonder what they were looking through?  I am very familiar with the two scopes you're considering & my eyes tell me that you're going to be spending in excess of $1,100 to do better than the Kahles.  The Conquest is excellent and certainly no slouch but not quite as good as the Kahles.

**EDIT-- I did find an OL review from 4/07 on their website.  They indicated that they preferred a CABELLAS OUTFITTER 4X12 40MM over a Kahles AH 305x10 50mm!!!!!  Said they were disappointed with resolution & low light performance with the Kahles but gave the $400 Cabellas scope a "Great Buy" rating...  Whatever!

The June/July OUTDOOR LIFE just hit the stores in the past week. Obviously they can't test everyting ,but this year's winners are the BUSHNELL 4200 6-24X40 and the SIGHTRON 3.5-10X50 BIG SKY. They supposedly tested better than the KAHLES KX 4-12X50. The 6-24 wouldn't be practical for most deer hunting ,but the SIGHTRON would. I've never even looked through a SIGHTRON,but I've never heard a bad word about them either. Just the price difference alone between it and the KAHLES would warrant checking them out before buying.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 17:21
I own Elite glass and it doesn't compare to Kahles except for being easier on the pocket book.
Sightron Big Sky I know nothing about.
As for Outdoor Life, I am a subscriber but I don't necessarily subscribe to their They have to appeal to a very broad audience and opinions vary. I will take the opinions of most the folks here at O.T. in a second any day of the week.
Lastly, the poster asked about Conquest versus Kahles.
Lobber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 20:01
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Silver has it, see if the barrel is any good, before making serious decisions, you may want to look at barska

Hey now fellas, if you keep poking fun it's possible you might hurt my one feeling.

Lobber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 21:08

I spent some time behind some Kahles scopes the last time I was in Denmark hunting with my womans brother. I bled really bad....the only time my eyebrow was ever clobbered. Did I forget to mention that I bled really bad? Wanna know the icing on the cake? After I got the bleeding stopped and the red stag loaded we went back to the BILs factory, this factory   http://www.schultzlarsen.com/   yep, the only gun manufacturer in DK. I spent the next 3 weeks being greeted with hysterical laughter and the nickname "scoob-eye"  BTW, stay away from the 9.3x62 round, it can be rather unfriendly.

I'm going to grab the Kahles, if not for anything more than sentimental reasons.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 21:25
If you get some time, post some picks of your stick once you get it outfitted. It should be a dandy, nice caliber choice, too.

Triple S View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:47
I put the 4.5-14x44 Conquest on  a Ruger #1 in .25-06 and am very pleased with it. The scope is clear, adjusts well, and looks great! It seems like the perfect match with my rifle for 400 plus yard shots!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic