OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PERFECT GLASS... on a budget!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PERFECT GLASS... on a budget!
    Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:03

Hello all and it is great to see :) you all again, have been really busy. I purchased a Savage 12FVSS in 22-250 and now need a scope. I have had Leupold, Bushnell, etc. and now have a Conquest... thanks SWFA! This is gonna be similar to a post in tactical, but as we all know, this area gets a lot more traffic. So if you are cruisin tactical then overlook my question. 

While I know this is gonna offend about 75% of our general population, I have to put it out there that TO ME Leupold and even the Bushnell 3200 & 4200's are over priced and over-rated. Just my opinion. I have always had Leupold but my last Mk III 4.5X... LR was no better than the glass in a top of the line Simmons or Tasco. Now the Zeiss... it is awesome, but I cannot step up again.

I need long range glass for what will mostly be a varmint gun. I like the tactical reticles for this kind of work, but I do not know a lot about what is available. Everyone's suggestion will be the Super but it is out because i need adjustable. I need to be in the $200- $300 range, and at the expense of my marriage, I could go up to $500 for the PERFECT glass. I believe ideal for me would be some undiscovered, unknown future Zeiss... no, in all seriousness maybe somthing really nice that is either a GREAT DEAL or Unknown and Underrated. Anybody know of somthing that might fit the bill???

Thank You ALL in Advance!  Rod

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:11

The 4200's are over rated and over priced???   

Is that a typo??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:13
Superlite17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:29
Just my opinion... like i said cheaptrick... offend a lot of kind folks. Before the leupold there was the 4200 in my search for the grail. It is funny, i bought the 4200 and at the same time purchased a dusk til dawn for my dad (I know, i know, what a shyster, got the DD for dad and 4200 for himself). Anyway, in my eyes and my opinion, plus my dad's as well, the DD BLEW AWAY the 4200 in every way possable, with the exception of size.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:54

If you want higher power you might try this in the same price range

http://www.swfa.com/c-1395-millet-tactical-riflescopes.aspx

It is a 4 X 16 -50 and it is a heavy solid scope, in my opinion the glass on the Nikon Monarch is a little better but the TRS-1 will do the job. That said I used a 21/2 to 10 power for varmint hnting for years without any  problem and most of the time I used less than 10 power

Good luck on finding a good cheap scope

Duce

Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 19:10

I do need the higher magnification. Sure is a good/strong looking scope. Pardon my ignorance, but do you know anything about Millet? Are they say better or worse than another? I have never heard of them which isnt saying much.

Thanks - Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 19:50

I'm not offended at all, Sir. This forum is all about different opinions and diversity and your most certainly entitled to yours.

Good luck in your pursuit.

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 19:58
C'mon, fellas.  This is an easy one.  Super Sniper.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:02
hey thanks... most do not agree about the 4200, maybe my eyes or one bad egg... it just made me gun-shy about bushnell. cheaptrick, how does the monarch stack up against conquest? Ihave heard people say as good as, when considering brightness. what about build?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:03

Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

C'mon, fellas.  This is an easy one.  Super Sniper.

gotta adjust

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:20
i really like my monarch, i havent looked through a conquest but for the price i think monarch is a steal. i agree with you 100% about the leupolds, and to think before a few years ago they were all i ever had, in my family there must have been near 100 varixii and varixiii scopes along with a modest supply of m8fixed powers, now i am a nikon man, although i own a burris ffII and its a pretty good scope as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:27
I know... I swear the optical quality is WORSE now than then! I was same way, no gold ring meant garbage! Now... other way around.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:36

my theory was that when they quit making the varix line and jacked the prices my business went elsewhere.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 21:32
A very interesting comment or opinion from superlite17 3200 and 4200`s over rated and over priced???? Hmmmm!!! It`s ok to be in the minority, because the many experienced gun writers/authors, in their articles, have a far different opinion!............. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 06:30

I would rate the Conquest over the Monarch, as I've owned both.

The Monarch is a great scope for the money. The link I posted would be an excellent choice, if the Conquest was out of the race.

Go to The Sample List here and grab a Conquest.

You wanting a Mil Dot reticle??

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1526-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle- scope.aspx

IMHO, the Conquest is the best scope in the mid range priced scopes, bar none.

Edited by cheaptrick
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 12:10
Cheaptrick is right on this one!!!!! Go with the Monarch and save your marriage at the same time!!!!!! Now that,,,,is a great compromise!!!!!........No such thing as "perfect glass" in the price range between $200 and $300!!!!!!!.........Yes! The Zeiss offers great optics but at a higher cost, especially in the higher magnifications..... On the range or in the field, a Monarch, a 3200 or a 4200, will serve you well!!!!!!!....................That is no B.S..................The "emoticons" have a flag with my nickname initials!!! Cute!!!!........................................Big Squeeze!  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 12:28

There are some Kahles scopes on the Samplelist in your price range, also. These scopes have excellent glass and are very rugged.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 21:52

Superlight,

With all due respect, there's no such thing as the "perfect glass," especially for less than $300.  Pick any scope -- any scope at any price -- and there are pros and cons involved.  You can get some pretty good, certainly serviceable glass in that price range, but in the optics world, the old adage "you get what you pay for" definitely applies. 

There are some real bargains, though.  You won't find a better price : performance value than the Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest, and yes -- Bushnell Elite 4200.  I would also include the Kahles 1" models in the "excellent value" category, but they are priced higher than the others on average.  I've heard the reasonably priced Sightron scopes are in the same class as well, but I've never used one, so cannot comment one way or the other.  I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with your assessment that the 3200 & 4200 are over rated and overpriced, since they aren't expensive scopes to begin with, and as someone who owns both, I haven't seen anything for the same or less money that I can say is optically "better."

Within the price limit you specify, I would probably get a Nikon Monarch.  They are hard to beat for the price.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 23:52
RifleDude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your last post was very well stated!.......Could not have said it better myself!!!!.......Big Squeeze! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic