OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

GREAT scope for the money... HELP PLEASE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GREAT scope for the money... HELP PLEASE!
    Posted: May/27/2007 at 17:58

Hello all and it is great to see :) you all again, have been really busy. I purchased a Savage 12FVSS in 22-250 and now need a scope. I have had Leupold, Bushnell, etc. and now have a Conquest... thanks SWFA! While I know this is gonna offend about 75% of our general population, I have to put it out there that TO ME Leupold and even the Bushnell 3200 & 4200's are over priced and over-rated. Just my opinion. I have always had Leupold but my last Mk III 4.5X... LR was no better than the glass in a top of the line Simmons or Tasco. Now the Zeiss... it is awesome, but I cannot step up again.

I need long range glass for what will mostly be a varmint gun. I like the tactical reticles for this kind of work, but I do not know a lot about what is available. SS is out because i need adjustable. I need to be in the $200- $300 range, and at the expense of my marriage, I could go up to $500 for the PERFECT glass. I believe ideal for me would be some undiscovered, unknown future Zeiss... no, in all seriousness maybe somthing really nice that is either a GREAT DEAL or Unknown and Underrated. Anybody know of somthing that might fit the bill???

Thank You ALL in Advance!  Rod

PolarBearBait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBearBait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 18:49
You could take a look at the Merlin, Menace and T line of scopes from Falcon Optics. British company with Jap glass. The 10x has gotten great reviews, but they have varibles also. I have the 4-14x56IR, but have not had a chance to try it out.

David
Superlite17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 19:31

Sombody else suggested them to me the other day... any idea how they stack up? For example, better than BSA? Burris? Leupold, etc? I have never heard a word about Falcon!

Thank You!

Edited by Superlite17
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:03

I don't know which Leupy you're using, but my 3.5-10x40 LR/T is superior to anything else I own but not, terribly much better than my Super Sniper (I like the Leupy 1 MOA adjustments better than the 1/4 MOA SS (1/2 moa is my fav) and the glass is marginally superior, although from what I've read the new SS's are probably equal if not better to the Leupy).   I got really aggrevated this weekend trying to shoot my 6-18x40 Leupy VX-2 off an ARMS carryhandle mount on my douglas barrel A2, not only did the nut on the mount keep loosening but the old Cherokee checkrest was too damn tall (messing up my spotweld and not letting my head get into the right position) all the while I noticed that my head had to be in the right position or the reticle got blurry....all the while I realized why I hate my VX-2....it is totally inferior to my first-gen SS.  I have two Tasco Titans, one a first generation which is one of my favorite scopes and the last of the Japanese made 3-12x56 with a 4A type reticle....neither is a match for my LR/T Leupy or SS, optically the VX-2 is inferior to my old Titan and just ahead of the new one.   I think the only thing you'll find in that price range would be a 10x or 16x SS (I like the 10x but for small targets (PDs?), the 16x SS might be the way to go, I know you say the SS is out and you're looking for a variable, but I tend to leave my variables on the highest magnification....which starts to make me thing the feature is a little unnecessary...if you're stuck on a variable and want a lot of scope for the money, I'd look at Sightron.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 20:32
Sightron, i never heard of them until last year and cannot put my hands on one locally. Are they good build and clear??? I am in no way apposed to somthing new. Would you tell me about them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 21:59
Originally posted by Superlite17 Superlite17 wrote:

...any idea how they stack up? For example, better than BSA? ...

Superlight,

I wouldn't hold BSA as any kind of benchmark, unless you're using it as a negative benchmark.  Every single scope I've ever used from any other brand was superior to BSA; if they aren't the absolute worst riflescopes I've ever seen, they would certainly be on the short list.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBearBait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by Superlite17 Superlite17 wrote:

Sombody else suggested them to me the other day... any idea how they stack up? For example, better than BSA? Burris? Leupold, etc? I have never heard a word about Falcon!

Thank You!

The French review says the glass comes from the same supplier as for the SS and is equal to the 3200.

David
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarBearBait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2007 at 23:13
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 20:38
8425 New Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch Riflescope                        New Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $529.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU62950 New Leupold 6-18x40 Mark 2 Riflescope                       New Leupold 6-18x40 Mark 2 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Varmint Duplex
  • 1"
  • T1 Target Knobs
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $599.95
More Info...

426245T Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope                Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $569.95
More Info... Buy Now

200189 Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope          Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope
  • Olive Drab
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • TAC-2 Knobs
SWFA: $377.95
More Info... Buy Now

200199 Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope          Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope
  • Olive Drab
  • Ballistic Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • TAC-2 Knobs
SWFA:

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 15:28

It's THA WIFE... I would definately not hesitate in getting another, but it would cost EVEN more money

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 15:57

I have a 22-250 and I would think that even a middle of the line scope would do all that is needed for the distance that cal. would be effective. If I have to shoot past 500 yards I switch over to my 243 wsm for varmints like pdogs and yotes between 650 and 700  yards I go to my 30-06. The small cal. just cannot buck the wind at great distance, if we are lucky enough to have a day without it bolwing 20 + knts. On windy days I start with the 06. You can buy scopes with better glass than the Nikon Monarch but why ? on that cal. The increase in glass quality runs the cost up sharply a top of the line Zeiss  will run you over 3 grand

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8899-310-new-zeiss-6-24x72-victory-di avari-34mm-rifle-scope.aspx

A lot more scope than rifle

Duce

Duce
mongo223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mongo223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:50
I, have to agree with Duce, I ended up purchasing a Nikon Tactical from SWFA's sample list and could not be happierBig smile. I am pretty sure the monarch's use the same quality of glass. You won't be disappointed. I have had several people look through the glass and the comments are WOW!, or, man thats clear. Granted there is most likely better optics to be had, but being on a budget you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your dollar. My hunting buddy can't wait for his monarch to arrive, he was using a Simmon's. M223 
Let there be light.
elgriton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elgriton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 07:36

Get the Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch w/mildot   w/side focus 1/4 MOA elevation adjustment

1/8 MOA takes too many cranks...

Once you find the ideal load for your rifle order a calibrated elevation knob here

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Edited by cheaptrick
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 12:43

Eglriton,  wellcome to optics talk, you may not be aware this site is owned and provided free by SWFA  also known as riflescopes.com I you post the address of a competeing business it will be changed to competitor. com

SWFA  has a 110 % price match so you can`t loose with them. I don`t work for them just FYI

Enjoy the site and information from lots of good experenced people

Duce

Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2007 at 14:27

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5473&PN=1

Take a peek at the Rules of Engagement, Sir.

Specifically #3.

And yes, welcome to The OT.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic