OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2007 at 22:19
resolution easy because its definable and contrast which is even measurable, but not brightness not an accepted optical condition or definition, ask koshkin- if the human element in you says go for it-- its still nothing more than a testimonial, of which as the saying goes along with other anatomical parts, everybody has one. When you say see, the cognitative and denotative meaning are different, see what I mean.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 04:29
If one scope allows you to see several minutes longer in fading light conditions its brighter. Easy to compare any two scopes and see which preforms better, I have some scopes that will still make out an object in the woods after the other can't see the object at all. Thats brighter.........Ilya uses instruments and comes up with exact numbers.......the rest of us have to use comparison and our eyes and see what the scope is capable of when compared against each other at failing light. I can't supply numbers but I sure as heck can tell which scope is brightest between two different models. Cognitative and denotative aren't going to mean kaka when the buck of a lifetime is moving past in low light and your scope won't make him out cause its just not bright enough. Thats where the rubber hits the road....and when comparing two scopes and picking the one that works better in low light brings home the venison.  Actually contrast is the hardest to test by comparison,  its more subjective. Once I was night coyote hunting about 11pm, we'd done two sets of calls and was getting ready to leave our rock break out in a several hundred acre field, almost no moon. My partner asked if I could even see a coyote to actually shoot if one came out.....I raised my rifle and peered thru the conquest scope........I asked for his rifle and looked thru his vari x ll leupold. I handed him my scope and never said a word.....one week later he bought a conquest. NUFF said about brightness, he didn't ask about cognitative and denotative comparison

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 10:38

Don't think koshkin uses machines. not sure what an exact number is--- is it a whole number, a decimal with more precision or a measured number agreeing with a theortical value, or from number theory a more correct number than the expression form than another anyway uso optic used to have a really good blurb on why brightness wasn't a good term on their old web site,  reading a leo catalog the other day used brighter, brightness, and then right in the middle a of the catalog a large paragraph on by brightness doens't count , really entertaining. denotative measurable, cognitative prozac factor, warm an fuzzy inside, contrast  or as leo puts it light management, brightness is the hardest to measure because it is actually a function of the exit pupil , and comparing two scopes with different lenses systems and coatings and saying one is brighter -well --- I'll bet you have an entire closet of tascos.

zeiss's web shows this scope (conquest 3x12) as being FFP boy i'll bet that will be an eye-opener to an internet purchaser.

my 3.5x10 40 Leo is "brighter" (especially with the alumina filters) than my Diavari 2.5x10 50 but the contrast (on 10x) and resolution isn't as good. do I prefer the zeiss in the dark , no its the kakas from 2.5 to 5 power which is what I use in low light. Never missed the game because of the scope!!

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 10:57

i have never heard anyone say that ANY leupold was brighter than a zeiss diavari - now i have officially heard it all.

actually, i have heard enough to sign off of this particular thread for good.

J

Bear250b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear250b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 11:23

WOW,  all I have to say is I must need my eye's checkedor maybe I need some of that corrective vision surgery  because I have never, never seen a Leupy even close to as bright as a Diavari of equal dimensions.  Dale is the Diavari of yours broken?  If not how's about a trade for a Leupy?

Slacker
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 12:05
Its a Diavari Z not a V if any one was reading and yes I would trade it for a Leo- and yes in the way the term brightness is being used in this post the leo is brighter and so are a couple of tascos I have. also note that the contrast and resolution are better than the leo which are more important. makes me wonder in any one read the post and the cognitive definition of bright-- have a bright day.
Bear250b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear250b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 12:08
    Great I think I will....
Slacker
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 13:57
After that last post........I don't believe I have anything more to add to this. Trust your eyes and they'll guide you to good bright, and resolute optics. Like Rancid said...I've yet to see a better scope than conquest in its price range. Good day 
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2007 at 14:12
And one wonders why its so easy to discredit eye witness in a court.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic