OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M!A help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M!A help please
    Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:15

Hello all,

Have been busy shooting service rifle so have not posted recently..here's my new question. I have an M1A, yes, I know the issues, some of them anyway, with putting a scope on this but cannot help myself. Here's the deal...

I have a SA Super Match that, for club events anyway, I can leave the mount on and still use my iron sights. But when I shoot NRA 600 I want to go back and forth between a scope. I have been considering, a Nikon Monarch, a bushnell 4200 Elite, one of the Leupy's with the Targot dot reticle, for some reason i am really liking these.

How about a little help, suggestions?

ACOG's are out of my price right now, plus not quite presise enough for my target shooting. Actually thought about an Accu-point by Trijicon, too.

Oh yeah. prefer the 6.5-20 range. Thansk guys...

Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:37
Just for clarification. The 600 yard shooting is a reduced target at 200 yards. May attend events in the future that are true 600 yards but the club where i shoot at uses this for the matches.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 20:07

Why not a Super Sniper?

If not, I'd take the 4200 over the Nikon (and have),

A 10x SuperSniper is tough to beat, even out to 600 yards.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 12:27
Super Snipers cant be beat for twice the money. They are comparable with the MK IV's costing three times as much. I have used 10x out to 1000 yds. 
Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 10:22

Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked at the SS and read all I could find. Does appear to be quite a good scope for the money. I am not sure however, that a 10x I would use all the time which is why I mentioned some of the variables above.

Any other comments anyone?

Cheaprick or Chris....any advice????

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 18:55

JohnW, do you have a budget in mind??

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 20:48

I have mounted a 10x Leu Mk 4 M3 on my M1a and a Leu Mk4 8,5-25x50 and an aimpoint and the aimpoint is the best choice. I have addressed this issue in previous posting and if you use the search feature you will find several threads on M1a. The problem is the stock does not put your head in the right position cheek weld is designed for iron sights which it what I am using right now on mine. The aimpoint will work very well no matter where your head is positioned behind the scope.  Here is the one I think would work best for you:

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $439.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 08:52

Cheaptrick,

I think $600 tops. All the scopes I mentioned in the original post sell for under that and are available where I am locally. However, I am seriously considering the 10x SS. I will have $200 more into a Sadlak mount and almost $200 more into rings.

I initally considered the variable because of the following. First, less power may work better for me in prone, elbow supported. This is the way I have to shoot to comply with NRA conventional class rules in the prone 600 matches. If I decided to move to F-class for the heck of it, I could bump up the power and rest both fore and aft of the rifle.

My Super Match shot 1/2 inch groups Saturday and appears to love 173 grain ammo.

Though the aimpoint suggested may work for a battle rifle I do not believe it will be precision enough oriented for my match shooting. If I did something like that I probably would drift to the 3x9 Accuponit of Trijicon for kicks.

As you can see the purpose of the scope id multi-tasked. I just may try a SS after all.

Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 08:55
On the other hand, I have coming this month a RR NM .223 for XTC competition with removable handle. Maybe I can just strap one of these on for my prone and use my M!A strcitly for service rifle competition.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 14:17

you can't go wrong w/ the SS 10x for target shooting.

be sure to put good money into your base(s) and rings. 

try badger or tps - that seems to be the favs around here.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 17:52

Well, as you can see JohnW, this bunch loves the Super snipers!!

My advise mirrors the rest of The Hive on the SS.

Your out nothing by getting one.

"If ya don't have a Super Sniper, ya need a Super Sniper!"

If you decide to upgrade or switch out to a variable later, the Super Sniper holds it's value as well as any other optic I can think of. I honestly think you'll like the 10x SS very much. 

Have you seen any of the pics in the photo gallery here of DM's over in Astan and Iraq that run M1A's or M14's?? with SS's??

I love those pics!   (There's something soooo right about it.) 

Best of luck on your choice! Please keep us in the loop.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 18:06

I'd get the 6.5x20 leo which has 1/4 clicks , could use on either gun, without being scope limited or go for the target turrets for another $200. biggest problem with m1a will be cheek weld, you will need a riser, get the 1/8" and 1/4 dot reticle which will allow for max. refinement on target. Gaming out a shooting match is a whole different ballgame than shootin wars don't confuse the two.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Gaming out a shooting match is a whole different ballgame than shootin wars don't confuse the two.

Were you referring to me, Mr C??

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 21:14
none in particular, the opinion is expressed about two seperate shooting objectives not an individual or group. It is a rare shooting match where military type rifles, pistols or optics have an advantage over a "gamed" event gun. If indeed it does occur it is because the shooting match has had the rules changed to reflect the point of the competition in favor of the military weapon. NRA pistol bullseye is about the pinnacle of said events. The use of the SS would be severly limiting oneself against anyone using other optic systems designed around the competitive event. The cross hairs are too large and the mil-dot would be almost useless in any event that had a time constraint. Just because I don't believe the SS to be the cure all more most scope needs, neither are Leo- scopes are just that, if they help get the shot off sooner, quicker, and do it every time -- thats the one. The poster is the only one that can determine that, I'm merely offering an alternative.
Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 08:36

Thanks for the responses.

As long as I have been on this forum I have heard the good things about SS. For the money, it appears to be a great quality scope. I reead all the review article material which appears to be favorable.

Dale, you are right, which is the same bug I could just not shake. i have taken my time looking through numerous reticle and scopes. I keep going back to the target dot. After shooting at my events I can see this scope going along with the type of shooting needed, especially at something like 600 reduced targets. The F-class guys are crazy, that is a whole different world, but with my M1A delivering 1/2 inch groups, in nRA conventional (against similar other class rifles) my gun is as good or better than those. I have been shooting this match "iron sights" which goal was to get me better for service rifle events. My first thought at this point is to get the 6x18 x 40 Leupy, with Target Turrrets and target dot reticle. Sadlak mount, Badger rings.

I am going to get both though, a SS will be a alternative for my son's AR when the EOTech comes off.

Thanks all for the help

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 12:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Gaming out a shooting match is a whole different ballgame than shootin wars don't confuse the two.

Were you referring to me, Mr C??

I think he was referring to my aimpoint suggestion.  Sorry I must have confused this for the tactical forum.    

Irregardless the aimpoint solves the ckeekweld issue on an M1a and the alternative is the McMillan stock used on the M-25 which is the correct fix if one wishes to use traditional optics. I wish my M1a was a 1/2 moa gun, sadly it is only a 2 moa gun but it did  well with a 1x  4moa aimpoint at 600 yards on the 4moa NRA target, and I think the 2x  1moa aimpoint would work much better. I love the two 10x Super Sniper scopes that I have and the 20x SS is also a valid consideration if one is only shooting targets during daylight. As for matches Dale probably knows much more than I do, but I know how I struggled an spent lots of money trying to make my M1a a scoped  rifle. Now mine has iron sights only and I had GAP build a long range tactical rifle that would do what I was trying to make the M1a do.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 12:56
I don't think he was referring to anybody, and just so you know, "Ur", I understand your suggestion as well with the aimpoint. But if my thought process ir right, that 1 MOA dot will become 6 MOA at 600 yards. If that is the case, it would be impossible for it to deliver the required x-ring only, at least with me behind the trigger anyways.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 13:18

1 moa covers 1 inch at 100 and 6 inches at 600  and 10 inches at 1000. But the red dot shows good contrast to the black target and is quite useable.  Plus it is the 2x version which makes the 600 yard target look like it is only 300 yds away

If it was 6moa it would be 36 inches at 600  yds. The NRA target is 4moa or 24 inches of black at 600 yards and I think the x ring is 1moa ---- 6 inches.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Johnw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 13:30

Gotcha "Ur"...

Perhaps I should have posted in the target forum instead of tactical one.

I do not want to change stocks but understand your point. The main purpose for this rifle is service rifle competition. Dimensions for stocks must meet CMP rule dimensions which the McMillian does not. Second, this is a Super Match rifle. I do not plan, at least right now, on tearing it down to build it up again. Removable cheel pads will have to do.

Your reduced dot size may help, it is just that these guys can shoot! The last mach of a possible 600, the conventional winner (with a 1903A3 and scope) shot a 595-38x. That means he threw only 5 nines with everything else, 10 ring and x. I don;t know if the aimpoint is up to that task.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 14:00

A bolt gun is ideal for a traditional optic.  The M 14  / M1a  rifle is the finest battle rifle ever made and eaven a 2 moa gun like mine is pretty darn deadly out to at least 600 yards most of the current battle with M-16 rifles is at 50 yards and they are usually not engaging targets over 300 meters unless they have a sniper with them which is crazy they need to have every soldier able to engage  targets effectively at 600 and with some hope of success out to 1000.  I think you will be hard pressed to beat that 03A3 with the stock problem that the M1a has. The cheekweld has to be ablolutely consistent to be effective. In combat they tape pieces of padding to the stock . If you could add a piece of U shape fiberglass like the Mc Millan stock you would have a solid support but padding has some give to it and likely will not provide the precision you need where it would be precise enough to score a kill on a enemy combatant.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6548&KW=m1 a+photo

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6366&KW=m1 a+photo

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic