OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A Magazine
    Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:01

Starting another project.  Im not a real big fan of the gas guns so I need some help here.  The magazine used on the M1A, is it a "stagger feed" or is it a "inline, single file" feed?   Is anybody able to tell me if this magazine can be used for the WSM ammo?  If you have the clip and also shoot a WSM, can you load the WSM into this clip?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:09
its a staggered feed clip, what in the world are you gonna load wsm ammo in that for???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:32
yes, if fact a good set up for armalites, since they use modified m1a, is the wsm series in an armalite ar10 instead of the standard 308
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:36
holy hell a 10 shot 300 wsm!!! look out deer and trees and more trees timber!!! thanks paul!!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:45
Pyro, how the hell are ya!  Dale your the man..  Thats what were playin with.. I met some  old machine head buddies in south georgia (fun goin thru all the smoke).. I took my 7mm WSM with me for a shoot-off.. Took it to go against my buddies 300 WSM.  Man, did I tighten his gibbs and ways!!!!!!!  Anyway, he liked the 7mm so much that he is goin to put it in a gas gun.  Dale, the Armalite/ M1A mag, is it already modified and by who.??  The magazine is my part of the equation..
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:48
doing good brother!! still kicking ass anyways need some better weather to finish my test loads for my 300 wsm i had one very good load so far and if its  the best i can get with my current setup then thats ok.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:58
I remember in the past, you mentioned you never had any luck with IMR.  You really should buy a pound of 4350 and load some.. 4350 is made for this WSM stuff. Im loadin the 7mm to the neck, the boat tale is just compressing with a long seat..At 90% case capacity Im not showing any pressure sign. Using a SMK and I "SMOKED" my buddies 300 WSM..  Completly safe, no joke.. It just shoots right.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 22:00
actually i said i have been using imr for years with great results its the hodgdon powder i havent had much luck with, but lately the reloader 19 has been performing wonderful in the 300 wsm, i have used about every powder imr makes at one point in time and i love the stuff.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 22:10
My slip.. I havnt used Hogdon for many years myself.. I think IMR smells better anyway..  Where does R19 fall on the burn scale??
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 22:14
Oh Holy Hell, gotta go.. My ol lady beatin me with a broom!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stink like burnin wet sawgrass!!!!!!!  Been campin in the swamp for a week..   Yeee haw
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 06:33

Originally posted by hot30 hot30 wrote:

My slip.. I havnt used Hogdon for many years myself.. I think IMR smells better anyway..  Where does R19 fall on the burn scale??

i have been using reloader 19 which is very close to the 4831 class but then you can step up to the r22 and r25 which is slower yet.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 06:27
Darn, I've always used the Hodgon powders. But if the IMR smells better...............................
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 08:59
This deserves serious consideration. I know this is one of the reasons WW 452AA dominated the trap world for 20-30 years, the after taste of cimammon. I think we should work up a relative smell index.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 11:00

You are certainly right there, Dale. I would be willing to sacrifice a little performance to taste cinnamon after a full day of handicap and doubles.

Too bad the 452 is history, a lot of shooters liked it.

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 16:48
Now this deserves a new topic!!!!!!!!!!
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 16:59

Anyway, Dale, are you familiar with this WSM gas gun stuff already.? How about the M1A mag. Does it work and who is doin it..

Thanx, 30

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 09:44
Not from using any, but run on to them being mentioned on other websites. try www.snipershide.com and do a search. dpms offers a 30 rsam or whatever they call theirs, and the division of olympic arms, as a recall -predator- but don't hold me to it. Also GAP will convert just about anything.  got me curious now-guess I'll do some more research.
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 11:00
The magazine is my part of the project, but I wonder  how they get arround any buffer problems, if any.  Any "magnum" type has to be hard on parts.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 19:51

The Accuracy International 300 Win Mag comes in a 10 round single stack that handles the belted cases so the smooth side cases on the WSM should work as the case is similar diameter - you might need to modify the length and the magazines are  hard to come by. You also might think about FN magazines the RockRiver .308 uses them. I have seen Robar altered M1a mags in a bolt gun but there is some reason that the modification of M1a mags is not a good fix otherwise GAP would be doing that and they are installing Badger Ordnance detachable magazines in their bolt guns. You probably need to ask George at GAP.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2007 at 23:06
Urimaginaryfrnd, Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Ive been having posting problems. GAP and Badger sounds like a good place to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic