OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Z-pont sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Z-pont sight
    Posted: May/24/2007 at 12:11
 Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used the Z-point reflex sight form Zeiss? I am using a burris flastfire mini dot sight right now on a pistol cal. carbine and like the burris but, it does not have the water proofing I need for seroius outdoor use in all weather conditions. I looked at the Z-point because it looks to be more waterproof,ultra small and light, QR style mount so can go to iron sights or different optics fast if needed. Also auto adjust brightness like the burris fastfire which really helps when you are shooting at night with a flashlight. Most red dots you have the dot brightness set for low light or dark and then hit the flashlight on and the dot disappears and needs to be adjusted by hand Anyway I can't find much user feedback on this sight around the net and just needed some user feedback before buying one. I also do have several eotech 551's sights which rock but was trying to stay with a ultra small style reflex sight for this carbine set up and the eotech also sits alittle high above the bore on it for my taste on this carbine.
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 12:50

The Z-Point was created by Zeiss - Hensoldt for the HK MP7. I assume when that didn't work out Zeiss sold it as a separate product...

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Heckler_Koch/HK_MP7_NVsig ht.jpg

I have owned both Eotech and Aimpoints and have a Z Point on an M1A Scout. In comparison the the Z Point is made of impact plastic and glass and its weight makes you think of it as a toy; though let me say it works great!  The auto brightness feature works without thinking about the device, the POI never shifts and it has its own spring -  tension mount, the dot is sharp to shoot out to 250 to 300 yards without issue. (In fact constantly & quickly shooting tennis balls out to 50 yards ain't much of a problem)

The Question - Con:

The question with the Z-Point in the handgun application would be the size of the window the red dot resides. If you find the Aimpoints "window" satisfactory then I think you will not find any issue with the Z Point. Though if you prefer the wide window on the Eotech the Z Point Window may be confining. 

steel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 13:17
 Thanks for the info.  I drove about 70 miles yesterday to a couple of large gun stores in a much bigger town than I live in and they had eotechs,aimpoints,bushnell ,trijicon,meprolight red dots and reflex sights but no one had a Zeiss Z-point to look at in person which is one of the reasons I went. One store owner said I might be interested in the new  Leupold 1x14 Tactical Prismatic scope. 
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 13:32

I have no experience with the Leupold; though I have thought about buying one to try on an AR. If this is to be mounted on a handgun or a "scout" rifle the Z-Point, Eotech and Aimpoint would be a better option.

Note: the Leupold 1x14 is to be mounted on a rifle such as a "normal" scope. My feeling is if you are going to mount in this method why not go with a dedicated rifle scope in a fixed 2 or 4 power w / illuminated reticle.

steel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 13:44
 If the leupold does mount with like a basic riflescope with a few inchs of eye relief and  not mount forward like a scout scope or red dot style sight I am with you and would just buy a low power lighted rifle scope myself. The sells guy I talked to seemed to think it would work like a basic red dot for some reason I will have to check into that. I use all my stuff on carbines and rifles myself my pistols are just basic night sights maybe a laser but no optics mounted up.  I guess I will just buy a Z-point and try it out the only other choice I like is the new aimpoint T-1 mini sight but they are even higher than the zeiss in price and I not sure even if they are out for sell yet. 

Edited by steel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic