OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron Big Sky
    Posted: May/23/2007 at 21:23
I saw a big sky 1.25x4 in one of the gun magazines this month, sitting on top of a .375 Ruger.  Are the Sightrons durable enough to take the recoil on these heavy magnums?  I have a .378 Weatherby I would like to put a low power scope on, and was wondering if this is a good choice.  If not, any suggestions on a durable low power that doesn't break the bank?
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 01:14
At the range recently, a shooter was using a 460 Wby. mag. He had a 1.75x5 Burris Signature on there. I didn`t ask if he had any problems with it due to recoil.............Not familiar with the Sightrons, so I can`t comment.............Since you don`t want to exactly break the bank, you may want to investigate the Burris. Also, the Bushnell Elite in their 3200 handgun line, are designed specifically to handle the recoil of the 454 Casull. They may have built that strength and durability design into their rifle line of 3200`s. If so, then consider the Elite 3200 line. I did read somewhere, that the recoil effect on a scope, mounted on a 55oz. handgun, ( the Ruger Super Redhawk ), shooting the hot 454`s, exceeds the recoil effect on scopes mounted on the largest magnum rifles that weigh 9 to 11 pounds!!! There is a formula for calculating recoil........... The Elite 3200`s are available in the 1.5x4.5x32,,,,2x6x32,,,,and 2x7x32...............In the 4200 line, Bushnell claims and advertises the 4200`s durability by mounting that scope on a 375 H&H and successfully firing 10,000 rounds with no problems!!!! I wouldn`t bet against that claim. However, the Elite 4200 is not available in a lower power variable. Too bad there!................The Leupold VX111`s are higher priced than the 3200`s. And the Kahles are even bigger bucks! The Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski`s (the best)? They start at about $1200 for their low power variables! For your 460, I believe that either the Burris or the Elite 3200 will be more than durable enough and do just fine! Let us all know later which scope you chose!......................Good luck..............................Big Squeeze!..........PS....Glad that you are not shooting that 460 next to me!!!!!! I`m sure you wear good recoil inserts. Do you have a muzzle break on that? 
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 01:27
OOOOPS!!!!!!!! Excuse me!................................Had 460 Wby. on my brain!!!! That`s what I saw at the range!.....Your 378!!! A little less recoil perhaps? Probably! But not by much!..........I still wouldn`t want to shoot next to you!!!! HA HA!!!!!!!    
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 15:58

Big Squeeze, I haven't shot the 460, but I can tell you the 378 is plenty for me.  I have shot .375's, a 470 NE, this .378 and a .404 Jeffrey.  The .378 definitely gives you a punch, but the stock is designed very well so it is bearable if not manageable. 

Thanks for the input on the 3200's. I didn't know they made a low power variable, but I will give it a look.  THat is right in line with the price range I was hoping for.

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 16:28
While looking at the 3200, I also saw the K2.5 Weaver as an option.  I saw quite a few posts on these that went back to 2006, any word on their ongoing quality?  Most importantly, will they hold up to the heavy recoil of that .378 Weatherby?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:06

thought that the 4200 didnt come in low powers whats wrong with this???

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1272-185-bushnell-15-6x36-elite-4200- rifle-scope.aspx

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:56
To Pyro:::::Nothing is wrong with this!!! Scroll up and read the 1st reply. I mention that the Elite 4200`s DON`T come in lower powers. The 3200`s do!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 21:57

click the link its a 1.5x6 4200 elite

how much lower you wanna go??

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 22:56
To BobH.........................From what I understand, the Weavers are a good quality scope for the money!!! However! I don`t know how that particular scope will hold up to the recoil of your 378 Wby! I have not read any articles concerning the Weaver.........I have read a few articles on the Elite 3200`s and how well they handle the 454 Casull. If their handgun scope can repeately handle the very brutal recoil of the 454, then, I`ll bet their rifle scope will do the job on your 378!........I would stick with and make a choice based on a proven track record of success. Also, the Elite 3200 gives you Bushnell`s patented Rainguard technology, great construction and capable for any weather situation, just in case you decide, to take your 378 on a polar bear or brown bear hunt.......I have mentioned before on some posts, based on quality of construction, durability, and optic quality in resolution, that the Bushnell Elites, are the best scopes on the market FOR THE MONEY and WILL compete, with any scope in it`s price class and in some cases out perform some higher priced counterparts..........I have the 3X9 Elite 4200 on a 300 WSM and love it!.... I was not interested in my scope cost exceeding the cost of my rifle!!!!!!.... I`m sure that there are many Elite owners out there who will agree!!! You will not be disappointed!!!!!! Are there any 375 H&H to 460 Wby. owners out there who have Elites mounted on your rifles????.....Other brands in the SAME price range???.......Please chime in with your honest opinions and feedback for Mr. BobH   Wink..........................Big Squeeze!   
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 23:05
Hey BobH................If Pyro is correct above and the Elite 4200 is available in the 1.5X6, which my catalog doesn`t specify, THEN, THERE YA GO!!!!!!!................Big Squeeze!!!!!!  
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 23:28
To BobH...........Yep! Time for me to update my catalogs.......Pyro is correct!!!!! The Elite 4200 IS available in 1.5X6 on this site!!!!........THAT,,,, will handle your 378!!!!!!!!!! Perfect! Great price range for you too!!!!!!.......................Let us all know!!!.......................Big Squeeze! 
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 11:30

BobH,

FWIW, I have been comparing a new Big Sky 1.25-5x20 with some of my other scopes over the last few days.  It seems to be very nice to me, and I went ahead and mounted it on my 30-06 elk rifle.  I haven't been able to get to the range yet due to rainy weather.  So far, I have been very impressed with this little scope.

Steve

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 12:53
I do not have any real boomers, but in my experience Sightron's have been quite durable.  I do not think I've ever heard of them destroyed by recoil. 

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 13:40

I have shot the .378 quite a bit and it has far too much recoil for the 3.3 inches of eye relief listed on the Elite 4200.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1272-185-bushnell-15-6x36-elite-4200- rifle-scope.aspx

I wouldn't even put one on my .375 H&H, even though the glass is great.

I haven't seen anything on the Big Sky but the 1.5-6 Sightron SII and SIII both have around 4 inches of eye relief. Ilya and several others around here say the glass quality is very good, also. The Big Sky sounds like a winner.

Good luck with that .378, it is a great gun and caliber!

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:15

Koshkin and Tahqua, would you agree with Big Squeeze that the Weaver probably wouldn't hold up?  If no one has done any real testing on the latest Weaver K, several rounds of .378  would certainly put them to the test.

Wally, did you buy your Big Sky at SWFA?  They are not listed online yet.

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:18

BobH,

Unfortunately, no.  I was needing a scope, and couldn't wait any longer.

Steve

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:49
The older Weaver K2.5 was pretty durable.  Probably the most durable of the inexpensive scopes.  However, I have not seen the latest reincarnation of this scope.  As recently as 2-3 years ago, if you were looking for inexpensive scopes that can handle recoil your best bets were Weaver K2.5 and V3.  However, with Meade running Weaver I can't vouch for that remaining the same.  In other words: somone will have to take the plunge and test it out.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 14:50
I am going to purchase  Sightron Big Sky 1.25-5x20 when SWFA get Sightrons in.  By all accounts it is a great little scope.

ILya
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 15:37
Hi BobH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The other post to you from "tahqua" regarding the eye relief of the Elite 4200 is correct! It is somewhat shorter! However, you did mention that your stock was modified to help reduce the recoil effect. If so, then you might not have a problem with the shorter eye relief. Do you by chance, have a muzzle brake? That would reduce your recoil even more! If you have the muzzle brake too, the Elite may work fine.......I did ask in an earlier post, for all of the big bore rifle cannon owners with Elites, to feel free and offer their assessments!..........You just may get some!...........Big Squeeze!  
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 15:56
Hi again,,,BobH............................I forgot to mention to you, because my concentration was on 460`s and 378`s, that one of my shooting buddies has a 340 Wby. in the Mk 5. He has the Elite 4200 mounted on it. I have shot it five times without a problem. The next time I talk with him, I`ll ask about any eye relief problems!!! I believe he would have mentioned something to me if he had a problem with eye relief!.............Not exactly a 378 but nevertheless a strong kicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................................Big Squeeze!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic