OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoot4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta scopes
    Posted: May/23/2007 at 16:31
 I have not seen any Meopta scopes being recommended to buy in any of the recent forums. I was just wondering if there were any issues with them or if meopta purchesers were still happy with their purchase. I know at one time they were recommended as great scopes and compatible with the big name scopes. I have a chance to purchase the 3x12x56 from a friend and just wanted to make sure it would be a wise purchase.  Thanks
kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 18:52

Scope purchase is not only a very personnal thing but totally dependant on what you intend to use it for. Personally I consider that power of that scope more inclined to stand hunting then stalking. I also feel its bulk begins to interfere with balance and handling of the rifle. Again however it's totally dependant on what it's being used for. Remember big is not always better.

I have a Meostar and find it the best scope I've ever owned for the money. I'm sure there are better but the cost would be substantial.

This should stir up a hornets nest

Julian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 08:09

I have a 3-12X56mm Meopta scope with a 4B reticle on my Remington 700 LVSF 7mm-08. Talley Classic 2 piece mounts (high) give a solid mount with about .25 inch  clearance above the barrel. I bought this scope primarily from curiosity when I first bought this rifle. The plan was to put a Schmidt&Bender 3-12X50mm with L3 illuminated reticle scope that I had on it. When I received it the Meopta, I sold the Schmidt&Bender and got the $1000 difference that I had paid back.

I can't say good enough things about this scope! It is the clearest scope with the sharpest adjustments that I have ever owned or looked through. This scope is Czech made, so you are still getting a European scope. I predict these scopes will be priced comparibly to the Schmidt&Benders, Zeiss, and Swarovsky scopes within a few years once the "Big Guns" of the hunting world have time to use one of these and use them. The 4B reticle is very impressive looking. It has range markings along the verticle reticle line, and a range estimator off to the right that you can use by placing the lines on the top of the back and bottom of a deer to give you a good idea of how far you are shooting. Thes scope has plenty of light gathering and seems bright and clear even on cloudy days. Scope comes with rubber removable lens covers.

Pentax Lightseekers are also very good for the money, which is close to the same price range. Pentax is the way I would go if you were looking for something that can really range out with the need for a 8-32X50mm or a 6-24X50mm. I like the Ballistic Plex better than the mil dot scopes. It still has the tick-marks for range, but doesn't look as busy. Still doesn't quite compare the Meopta. not  

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 01:17

If the Meostars were truly made for Americans, they would be great sellers.  Until we see 1" tubes and 3-9x40 scopes, they will always be a novelty in this market.

ranburr

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 08:00

they do have a couple 1 inch tubed models.  i have the 7x56 w/ a one inch tube - it is a wonderful scope.

better than my conquest, 4200, and monarch.

the #4 reticle and the 8mm exit pupil it produces are wonderful in the lowlight.

they don't have the big name 'buzz' - but i assure you, they are top notch optics.

i recommend them, highly.

J

shoot4fun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoot4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:28
 jonbravado       I sent you a PM.  Thanks
kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2007 at 16:31

Ranburr

My guess is you would have had the same attitude when the first Toyota hit these shores. Meopta maybe fairly new here, but that doesn't take away from their quality

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 04:05
Originally posted by kuntao kuntao wrote:

Ranburr

My guess is you would have had the same attitude when the first Toyota hit these shores. Meopta maybe fairly new here, but that doesn't take away from their quality

That is a pretty strange attitude.  Did you read anything that I wrote?  The quality is there in the Meostars.  But, there is no denying that they are not geared up for the U.S. market.  This is a stupid business move since they could sell more scopes in this country than the rest of the world combined.  By the way, I'm only 40, Toyotas were here before I was born.  I have no problem with their quality, Deming knew what he was doing.  He geared the japanese auto makers towards quality and the U.S. market.  Meopta could learn a thing or two from Toyota!     

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 07:42

good point, ranburr - toyota has knocked it out of the park.

there has been a big swing towards EURO optics in the 10 years.

meopta has some good power ranges in meostar and nice pricepoints.  Just need to market them a good bit better.

i think they have a well rounded offering.

What, besides 1 inch tubes, are they missing, ranburr?

J

SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 08:21
Still love my Meopta 7x56. An excellent value for the money.Very bright with good low light capabilities. I agree with Ranburr about the marketing. I think that a 3x9x40 would smoke the nearest competitor in terms of price and quality. I am open minded but the 3x12x56 with a 30mm tube is a BEAST. I just don't see it appealing to your average weekend deer hunter. But, an incredible scope anyway.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 09:00

they actually have 40 AND 44mm models now - so the offering seems pretty complete.

check em out. 

http://www.swfa.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=1134&sb =Name&so=asc&page=2 

now they just need to work on marketing.

J

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2007 at 14:09

I would look at their US web site at http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=203&lang=en

They have been in the US for a long time and sell to the goverment. I have never had one of their scope but I have had experence with their photo equipment and it is excellent.

Duce 

Duce
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 00:12
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

good point, ranburr - toyota has knocked it out of the park.

there has been a big swing towards EURO optics in the 10 years.

meopta has some good power ranges in meostar and nice pricepoints.  Just need to market them a good bit better.

i think they have a well rounded offering.

What, besides 1 inch tubes, are they missing, ranburr?

J

1" tubes and power ranges that appeal to U.S. shooters.  I would venture to say that 1" 3-9x40 scopes are the number one sellers in the U.S.  A  7x56 has limited appeal, regardless of the quality.

ranburr

lagarto308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lagarto308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 16:46
Last saturday night my friends and I were testing different scopes, after a night hunting wild boars. There was a quarter of moon low in the sky.

Well, Zeiss Diavari T x56, Meopta Artemis 3100 x56 y Swaroski x56. All of them was very close in light transmission, perhaps Zeiss the best one. But thinking in the quality-price ratio ... Meopta was the winner.

Regards.
kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by ranburr ranburr wrote:

Ranburr

That is a pretty strange attitude.  Did you read anything that I wrote?  The quality is there in the Meostars.  But, there is no denying that they are not geared up for the U.S. market.  This is a stupid business move since they could sell more scopes in this country than the rest of the world combined.  By the way, I'm only 40, Toyotas were here before I was born.  I have no problem with their quality, Deming knew what he was doing.  He geared the japanese auto makers towards quality and the U.S. market.  Meopta could learn a thing or two from Toyota!   

Let me make it plain and simple for you. It is you who has the strange attitude.  When Toyota first came to this country they were laughed at by the North American car manufactures.  They achieved their popularity over the years not because they catered to the American public, all car manufactures do that, but because of their dependability and workmanship.

As far as reading what you wrote.  Yes I did. To bad the majority of comments you made were inaccurate. Meopta makes scopes that accept 1' rings. They also make 3x9x40 which seems to be the scope of choice in your eyes. They also have a manufacturing plant in the US.

As far as your concerns for their stupid business moves. Maybe you should be thankful. It keeps their prices low enough that the average Joe can afford them. You will see that change in the future

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 00:40

Let me make it plain and simple for you. It is you who has the strange attitude.  When Toyota first came to this country they were laughed at by the North American car manufactures.  They achieved their popularity over the years not because they catered to the American public, all car manufactures do that, but because of their dependability and workmanship.

As far as reading what you wrote.  Yes I did. To bad the majority of comments you made were inaccurate. Meopta makes scopes that accept 1' rings. They also make 3x9x40 which seems to be the scope of choice in your eyes. They also have a manufacturing plant in the US.

As far as your concerns for their stupid business moves. Maybe you should be thankful. It keeps their prices low enough that the average Joe can afford them. You will see that change in the future

[/QUOTE]

You really need to take both history and a reading comprehension classes.  There was nothing inaccurate about my comments.  By the way, when did I ever speak ill of Toyota?  Your original message accused me of talking trash on them.  Detroit did laugh at them because the early japanese cars were crap.  But, they learned from their mistakes.  They hired a true professional to show them where they had gone wrong..  Who do you think taught the japanese the concept of quality?  You obviously don't know, thus I will tell you; Dr.Deming.  An American from Detroit.  Meopta has a handfull of 1" scopes in oddball configurations.  They do not make a 1" 3-9x40.  It is not just me that thinks the 3-9x40 is a good option. The vast majority of the scope buying public agrees with me.  This is clearly proven by the fact it is the number selling scope configuration in the world.  As far as a U.S. plant goes, that is news to me.  Repair center; sure, manufacturing; no.  Your ignorance is so obvious to everyone but you.  By the way, I like the quality of the Meostars.  You should have figured that out by now, (I guess that whole ignorance thing is getting in the way).  Also, my MBA tells me that if Meopta has a better selling, more Americanized product; prices could very well drop.  Ever hear of a little German outfit called Zeiss and the Conquest line?  Finally, please seek help.  You probably can't do anything about the double digit IQ.  But, you ought to be able to control that attitude. 

Hugs & Kisses

ranburr

Edited by ranburr
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2007 at 02:55
Meopta does have a production facility in the US, but that production facility has nothing to do with sport optics.  To the best of my knowledge all scopes and binoculars are made in Meopta's facility in Europe.  The US production facility only serves other markets.

As good as Meopta scopes are, they are certainly designed primarily for a European market and are likely to become a niche player until they redesign some products.

The only 1" scopes in their line-up that I am aware of are the 6x42, 4x32 and 7x50 Artemis 2000 scopes.  All other scopes are 30mm, which limits their marketability to a certain degree.  Also, most of the Artemis scopes (except 3000) have steel tubes which, while offering some advantages, is typically frowned upon in the American market. 

Another thing about Artemis line-up:  it would be great to know what exactly is the glass difference between Artemis and Meostar scopes.  As good as Meostars are, in my limited experience, Artemis scopes were not quite as good (if anyone knows what the differences are, I would much appreciate some info).  Perhaps, they've been redesigned since then, but I have not heard anything about that.

While Meopta does offer a couple of 3-9x42 scopes, they are in the Artemis line-up, have 30mm tubes and are a fair bit heavier than a typical 3-9x scopes that dominate this market.

Another significant issue is that the eye relief of most Meopta scopes is pretty short for American tastes.  Just about every Meopta scopes I have seen yet, has eye relief around 3"-3.2".  With so many hunters here choosing light rifles chambered for powerful cartridges, generous eye relief is pretty important.  Noone likes to get hit on the head with their own scope (I sure as hell do not).

ILya
BillL223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillL223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 18:22
I have a 1-4 x 22 Meostar with the illuminated K-dot on my 3-gun AR.  After 9 years of trying to find the best optic for that application, I found it.  Currently I'm shopping to upgrade the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10 x 42 on my Remington LTR and am seriously looking the the Meostar 4-16 x 44.  I'd like to here alternative choices. 
DevL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 17:10
I believe the difference in the Artemis and Meostar lines is that the Meostar have fully multicoated lenses.  I too am happy with my Meopta Meostar 1-4x22.  I wish they made illuminated, FFP scopes, with 30mm tubes and mildot reticles.  Meopta seems to love the SFP design unfortunately.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 18:10
Some Artemis scopes are FFP (which is why I was wondering, to be honest).  Also meopta web site indicates that Artemis 2100 scopes have multi-coatings on all surfaces:

ARTEMIS 2000

One of the world most sophisticated riflescope lines, with the widest assortment of both fixed and variable power scopes of any Meopta line, the 2000 series utilizes solid steel body tube construction to maximize durability and shock resistance. Designed with the serious user in mind these scopes offer superior
edge-to-edge image clarity, maximum light transmission and are guaranteed to be fog proof, waterproof for the life of the product, which adds up to superior performance in the field or at the range?

ARTEMIS 2100

The 2100 series offers an illuminated center dot for hunting in low light conditions. The illumination of the center dot under normal daylight conditions is observable only when set on intensity level 6 or 7, so that the target no matter how small will not be overwhelmed or lost in the brightness of the dot when illuminated.
The brightness levels can be adjusted with the knob on the left side of the windage and elevation turret in seven steps marked 1-7 (with 7 being the brightest).
The interpositions marked with a dot, provides an interim off position between each intensity level, allowing for quick, single click on and off operation. The service life of the original battery, a CR2354, is roughly 80 hours. It is also possible to use a more readily available battery, the CR2032, which has a service life of about 60 hours.

• Fixed and variable magnifications
• Solid two-piece steel body tube construction
• Unique internal mechanism design ensures for precise adjustment and optical alignment
• Multi-coatings of all air to glass surfaces for superior edge-to-edge clarity and light transmission.
• Nitrogen purged and sealed body for guaranteed fog and waterproof performance.
• Precise internal quadratic windage and elevation adjustment ensures that zero spherical deviation will occur throughout the full range of adjustment
• Engineered for complete temperature parallax compensation

ARTEMIS 3000

A mechanically and optically sophisticated designed variable power riflescope line, which will appeal to a broad range of users. The 3000 Series offers one piece, lightweight Aluminum alloy body tube, with the reticle positioned in the rear or second focal plane, a wide selection of magnifications and objective lenses choose from, it has been designed to cover a full range of riflescope applications.

MEOSTAR R1

By combining old world craftsmanship with state-of-the-art technology and materials Meopta has developed a new generation of riflescopes, scalled Meostar. In building these new riflescopes we utilize only the highest-grade aircraft aluminum alloy material available, in addition to bead blasting the exterior before the “Elox” anodizing process to ensure a extremely durable and non-reflective black matte outer finish.
We have also dramatically improved our light transmission per glass surface with new proprietary lMB-5501 anti reflective coatings and a unique ION assisted applications process, which ensures increased light transmission of 99.8% per glass surface!
Designed for low light, dawn or dusk conditions, the Meostar line offers an illuminated center dot option in our RD models and a completely
illuminated reticle in our KD model. Both feature variable intensity levels from 1-7 (7 being the brightest) in addition to an off position between each intensity level to ensure fast on and off operation.

• Variable magnification
• A rugged, lightweight, one-piece body tube made of only the highest-grade aircraft aluminum available
• A unique internal mechanism design for the highest mechanical resistance for consistent accuracy shot after shot.
• Sharp edge to edge resolution and maximum light transmission of 99.8% per glass surface.
• A Nitrogen Purged and sealed body for fog proof, water proof performance
• Precise single click, raised fingertip windage and elevation adjustments for truly accurate adjustment throughout the full range of movement.
• Both Illuminated center dot (RD) and fully illuminated reticle (K-dot) models

The Meostar R1 RD 1-4x22 model with illuminated K-dot reticle is designed for hunting under difficult,
low-light daylight conditions (at maximum intensity, the dot illumination is visible in sunny weather with snow cover). With magnification set on 1 power and the reticle illuminated the riflescope may be used as a short range, close in -sighting device, by allowing the user to keep both eyes open. This allows a clear, substantially improved view of what is happening in the surrounding field of view. With the knob on the left side of elevation turret, the intensity level can be changed from 1-7, (with 7 being the brightest) In addition to 7 different intensity levels we have also provided an off position (signified by a dot) between each level. This allows the illumination to be switched on and off and returned to original level with a minimum effort. The service life of the original CR 2354 battery is roughly 80 continuous hours. A more readily available CR 2032 battery may also be used however the service life is only about 60 continuous hours. The Meostar R1 RD 7x56 and 3-12x56 models are designed for hunting under extreme low light conditions at early dawn or late dusk (see models 2100).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic