OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 30mm v.s 35mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 30mm v.s 35mm
    Posted: May/22/2007 at 20:05

When I return to the states I was wanting to buy a new scope for my semi custom .338Edge. I currently have a 16X SS mounted. This is an awesome target scope, but not the best for powerline deer hunting. Shots can be 25 yards to 1200 yards. The problem isn't the fixed 16X, as I usually carry a small carbine into my honey hole along with my boomer, the problem is the SS almost cost me the biggest buck of my life because of low light( or should I say less then perfect light) performance of the scope.. Two days before I mobilized for my second tour in Iraq. I decided then and there that I needed a new scope. I was looking at the IOR tacticals on their web paige and was wondering why the 30mm scopes have almost 20 moa adjustments more than the 35mm scopes. The only thing the 35mm's seem to have over the 30's is range of magnification. The only posts I've seen have been on the 35mm. How does the smaller tubed scopes compare as far as glass and tracking reliability? Also, I have been glancing at the new Bushnell tacticals, i have a 4200 on my 7mm RemMag and love it. Does anybody think this scope would fill my need? I have a Leupold MRT on my DMR and like it,but....

Bronze Star w/"V"...down graded...Article 15,Section 8
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 19:38
Once upon a time I had a 20x SS now I have two 10x SS and am happier. I also have an 8.5-25x50 Mk4 Leu LRT and I find that having 25x on a variable is not as limiting as having high power on a fixed power because you can turn down the power to gain brightness as the light grows dim. The optimum scope is a 6x42mm IOR Tactical with 7mm exit eye pupil - it just doesnt get any brighter than that. But high powe scopes and high power variables do have their place. In practical use hunting I have a 4.5-14 x50 30mm Leupold VXIII and I really like that power range for trophy deer at around 200 to 400 yds. Passing up a good buck every now and then is good for the gene pool, so dont feel too bad about it. If you like the SS you wil love the 10x SS. As for the 4200 varaible tactical it should be a good scope - havent seen one but sounds good - will it be as sturdy - I doubt it but it should be a good scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 12:32

IOR 3-18x42 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope

or

IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

You can't go wrong either way and you will never regret the choice of purchasing a IOR...

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 09:07
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

The only thing the 35mm's seem to have over the 30's is range of magnification. The only posts I've seen have been on the 35mm. How does the smaller tubed scopes compare as far as glass and tracking reliability?

It's my understanding that the main advantage to the 35mm IOR is improved resolution over the 30mm scope due to larger diameter internal lenses.  As you mentioned, the 35mm tube also has something to do with allowing the 6X magnification erector assy as well.

I've never seen one of the 35mm units before so I can't confirm that it's truly optically superior to their 30mm scopes.  I do have an IOR 4-14X50 30mm Tactical, and I'm very impressed with it overall.  I can tell you that if the 35mm versions are truly better than the 30mm scopes, they must be phenomenal, because my IOR stacks up favorably against almost any scope at any price optically.

The person to ask this question to is Koshkin, who is the resident IOR guru.  Send him a PM and he can probably best answer most any question you have about IOR scopes.

Welcome to OT!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic