OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper for AR15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper for AR15
    Posted: May/22/2007 at 16:16

I have almost decided on getting the Super SNiper 10x42 for my Bushmaster Modular Carbine.  It is a flat top with folding sights.  Main use will be a the range for 100 to 300 yds.

Regarding the rings I am looking at ones like pictured below (made by badger Ordnance) or the ones made by GG&G thinking that I would be able to quickly remove the scope if needed and that this set-up may be more stable than the traditional rings.

Any suggestions?

Edited by RCS2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 16:45

Check out AR15.com's Optic Forum and look at some pics of theirs.

I have a Weaver Tactical AR mount that works OK, I guess. There's probably lots better options out there though.

The ARFCOM guys will have you buying a Larue Tactical SPR mount.........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 16:50

Weaver AR mount, 10X SS, Badger Ord. rings.

RCS2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 17:24
Than for the response, the picture of a scope mount I inclided is actually made by Barger Ordnance and there is no need to purchase the additional weaver ar mount.  But they gave me the visial concept.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 19:11

I am going with an Armalite 30mm mount for the new SS.  Mounting on my 20 in AR.

Found it on ARFCOM for $65.00

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 02:59

Originally posted by RCS2 RCS2 wrote:

Than for the response, the picture of a scope mount I inclided is actually made by Barger Ordnance and there is no need to purchase the additional weaver ar mount.  But they gave me the visial concept.

That set up actually gives me a decent cheek weld too.

That SS stays on my .308 bolt gun 99% of the time, with the Badger rings.

I didn't want to remove it from the rings just to mount it on my AR.

Edited by cheaptrick
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 07:03
Thats alot of scope for an AR 15.  No question you will be accurate, or at least as accurate as the rifle is capable of being.  I hope it does not ruin the balance of the rifle and defeat the utility of an AR 15, which is portability.  I have a Olympic Arms AR 15 on order and have a Colt style 4x 21mm scope, with a built in BDC for the 223 caliber, which is compact, relatively light and tougher than nails, that will be handle mounted.  Let us know how it works out, because while I own quite alot of rifles and have been around them since a kid, I am new to the AR 15 scene, given the probable up comimg ban, but did extensive reading before purchasing the rifle and scope and what would be the ideal AR 15 set-up.

Edited by Dolphin
RCS2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 10:29

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Thats alot of scope for an AR 15.  No question you will be accurate, or at least as accurate as the rifle is capable of being.  I hope it does not ruin the balance of the rifle and defeat the utility of an AR 15, which is portability.  I have a Olympic Arms AR 15 on order and have a Colt style 4x 21mm scope, with a built in BDC for the 223 caliber, which is compact, relatively light and tougher than nails, that will be handle mounted.  Let us know how it works out, because while I own quite alot of rifles and have been around them since a kid, I am new to the AR 15 scene, given the probable up comimg ban, but did extensive reading before purchasing the rifle and scope and what would be the ideal AR 15 set-up.

That is an excellent point regarding possibility of ruining the balance and possible protability of the AR15.  By installing the scope as low as possible and at center of mass as posible that may minimize ruining the balance.  But I am not too concerned becuase in that seting I would be using the bipod.

Regarding protability that is why I was looking at the Badger (or similar from another manufacturer) one piece base and rings.  Because it would be easier to take off and use the irons (both are fold down) or the Aimpoint.

Anyone out there using the one piece base and rings set-up.  If so, share opinions.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 12:15
while making good guns armalite isn't famous for their one piece mounts-- with one piece other than badger, nightforce, RRA (maybe) be careful that the front ring goes with the front and the rear etc, and don't get them rotated. the will not match and "pudge" your scope tube. personally I would recommend getting some risers from brownell (make them in any length or height) and some better rings, PRW, QRW, warne, TPS
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 13:37

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

while making good guns armalite isn't famous for their one piece mounts-- with one piece other than badger, nightforce, RRA (maybe) be careful that the front ring goes with the front and the rear etc, and don't get them rotated. the will not match and "pudge" your scope tube. personally I would recommend getting some risers from brownell (make them in any length or height) and some better rings, PRW, QRW, warne, TPS

So you are saying the Armalite one piece mounts are not good?  You didn't mention LaRue mounts.  Everyone I know thinks it is the ultimate.

Have you seen the new ones made by JP Enterprises?  JP also sells LaRue and Armalites. 

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 14:42
no I just named some in the intermediate price range with armalite (that are better) , if you got the dough get larue or JP which are better than armalite but not in the same price.
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 20:46
For doing a quick release, I have Badger rings on my HB AR, but I took a 1/2 wrench and cut the open end off with a grinder.  I have a Choate trap door E2 buttstock and I filled it with spray foam.  I then pressed into the foam, the skinny end of the wrench along with allen wrenches for my PSG-1 style pistol grip and scope turrets.  This has been a great arrangement because all my tools are at my fingertips and doesn't make any noise, plus I can remove my scope in less than 30 seconds.

Edited by sandsock
RCS2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 22:36
Well today I purchased the SS 10x42 and based on all the feedback and searching in the web I am prett ymuch betwee nthe LaRue tactical quick-detach mount and the GG&G Accucam QD base wit hintegral rings.  I like the qucik disconect feature of both and fee lthe all in one concept would be more stable than the traditional two rings.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2007 at 12:26
As well as the Armalite mount, I just ordered a RRA Scout Rail (detachable) and some new TPS medium rings.  That should make a nice setup. 

Edited by army_eod

Niccolo Machiavelli
RCS2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 07:27
Made decision and purchased the LaRue T-104 mount.  Pricey but I liked their quick detach system better than the GG&G, time will tell.  I considerd purchasing a detachable and separate rings but opted for a one piece set-up.  Figured te least pieces the least possible problems.

Edited by RCS2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic