OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Day at the range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day at the range
    Posted: May/21/2007 at 06:21

This was Sst 180gr with 75 grains of H4831sc in a 300 win mag this was a 5 shot group.at 110 yards.The hit on the left is from another test with game kings.The shot like total crap.but i thought the sst's was not bad .

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 06:32
my 300 win really likes 4831 too, so im not surprised yours liked the stuff as well, i am however surprised the game kings didnt shoot better, but it may have been the load too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 06:39

Pyro,

i am not going to give up them just yet.I'm going to lower the powder a bit and see.If that dosen't work i'm going to try R19 or 22 to see if that will help them shoot some what better.but honestly they hit every where.one would be 4 inches to the left the next would be to the right.i couldn't have payed one to hit a good spot on the target.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 06:41
reloader 19 and reloader 22 will probably work very well for you, my 300 wsm loves r19 and 180 pro hunter
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 11:10

IMR 4350 for 180gr. pills in my .300 Win Mag.

RL22 has also been a proven powder for several people, but not my Sako, sad to say .

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 12:38

I haven't tryed any of the RL powder yet.i have had good luck with the 4831sc so far.If i can't get the game kings to settle down and fly straight i will try it.

with the 4831 i shot the nosler BT and the SST really well ( i thought anyway) but the game kings were everywhere.

Any good loads for them (game kings) i will be willing to listen to and maybe try.

Big

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 15:33
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I haven't tryed any of the RL powder yet.i have had good luck with the 4831sc so far.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from your recipe, Big Daddy. 

Just yacking is all.....   Stay with what works.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 17:36
I would say that works Bigdaddy, good shooting.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 17:38
75 gr is over 3000 fps
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
craSSh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craSSh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 21:52

My 300 wm likes 4831sc also, but likes H4350 even better.  I havent gotten around to try the RL powders yet.  With the way my current load shoots I see no reason to try anything else. 

Good group Bigdaddy and good luck with finding a recipe

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 06:44

cheaptrick

Oh yeah yack away i don't mind at all.I'm always open to some new info from people like you guys that have done this alot more than i have.

pyro6999

I'm not sure what the fps is on that load.

if my thinking is right i should be close to 3000 i'm hopeing anyways thats my goal and only if it shoots straight.

I shot 60+ rounds i have figuerd out that 74.5 grains dose better with the nosler BT and 75 dose better with the SST

the game kings would not shoot well with anything i tryed.i would shoot 5 shot groups and wait a while for the gun to cool and shoot 5 more.the barrel was hot hot hot by the 5th shoot.

Do any of you think 75 gr is to much or to hot of a load?I have 1 case that got stuck but came out with a little force.but i had no head stamp impresstions or flat primers.

Just wanting to know ya'lls thoughts.

Big

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 06:52
well considering that hodgdons web page lists 73 gr of 4831 as max then yes its a little hot but, at the same time if its shooting well, which sounds like it is and you are noticing any evidence of over pressure as you mentioned then i would stick to it. that 73 gr max load is 2990 fps and i would be willing to guess your in the 3025-3040 fps with your load. i think that 4831 load i came up with for my 300 win was in the 2800-2900 area and it kills things extra dead as will your 75 gr payload.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 06:57

I wounder if i'm pushing the game kings to fast? i still have a few left i might try dropping down to 73 and working up to see.

yeah most of the manulals i have read have been below what i'm using.but it shoots well.I have a brused shoulder but was still fun.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 16:28
My 1985 Sierra manual says 49.6 gr max for the 180 gr GameKing. I would say that your load is pretty warm. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 17:05

Big,

75gr of 4831 is pretty hot.  If you're having difficult extraction or ANY signs of overpressure, it's best to err on the side of safety and back down a little.  If you're already borderline pressure-wise, a hot but somewhat safe load on a relatively cool day can become an extremely dangerous load on a hot day!  DON'T RISK IT!  You will find other charge weights that produce good accuracy if you experiment a little longer without having to push the envelope.  With any given powder, there are generally harmonic nodes producing the best accuracy at several different velocities. Your safety is far more important than trying to tune a load by continually going over max on powder charges.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 17:06
Good shooting on the sample target, by the way!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 07:20

It was about 75 degrees or better saturday with no wind.so the temp was mild.I didn't have any case the got stuck or even was hard to eject.i think i might drop down to 74 and see how it work out if i still get the same results from that i might stay with it.the only thing that seem wierd to me is that the case is not full maybe 90% or so.i have talked to a few people and they say it dosen't matter but seems strange to me.

Also i was talkng to a match shoot last night and was asking him a few question.one was about weights of charges.he told me he dosen't weigh his.he dose his on volume.

have you heard of anything like this before.

this guy has a reputable rep in the shooting world so i belive what he says but wether i do it or not is another thing.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 16:24
Sometimes depending on the powder, you can completely fill the case and not worry about overpressure.  It all has to do with the burn rate of the powder.  When the burn rate is optimal for the case capacity, max loads will completely fill the case.  With 4831, or any other powder where you reach max pressures before the charge completely fills the case, you need to pay close attention to max load recommendation and let your rifle tell you whether or not your pressures are too high.  If you notice ANY signs of excess pressure, even occasionally, you should err on the side of safety and back off the charge a couple grains.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2007 at 21:47
one thing i find intresting is that if you go to nosler web page and look into there reloading data they show some loads to have over 100% load density like in the .204 ruger they publish that 29 gr of varget is 102% load density or the .218 bee 16 gr of reloader 7 is 106% but yet these are just compressed loads i found it neat that if you pull up alliant powders page they too have reloading data on site that shows like 82 gr of r25 in the 300 win with the 180 gr bullet  that is like 3100 fps!!!! wow!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 10:12

I didn't have any sighns of pressuer useing 75gr. No flat primers bolt was easy to move while ejecting.i might do 10 or more to make sure. i know with the Nosler bt i'm going to drop down they opened up but the sst shot well with 75.

I'll more than likely go down to 73 and work up on most of the loads but the sst did to well to change.

also around where should i start with 200Gr triple shocks? (just for target)

Big

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic