OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scoping a sako finnwolf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scoping a sako finnwolf
    Posted: May/19/2007 at 11:18

Hello

I'm going to scope my lever gun and need some advice on quick release rings or bases. I leaning towards a quick release base to give me a clear view of open sights. Anyone use this system on THIS rifle in particular. What height were the rings? If I go for the Q/R rings will the base interfere with the sights?? Any good Q/R ones you could recommend??

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 12:03
Warne bases and QR rings.  The best on the market imo.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 12:46
Kuntao, see my post in Target scopes I have just posted. I have used the Leupold QR mounts, but have been unable to test them. Just be carefull on ring heights. Leupold sizes on QR seem to be wrong, or different from their normal mounts.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 18:06

Hi Kuntao,

Congrats on an absolutely GREAT rifle !  I have 3 myself, however, I've never been able to find a quick release system for it. I usually go with a dovetail/windage unit. Also any winchester model 88 / 100 system will work on this rifle.

If you find a quick release set-up for yours, please let me know. I would be very interested for one myself.

Derek

kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 22:39

Hello Huntmaster

I take it then that you've looked at whats presently available in quick release and could find nothing that would work? That's a real shame. I was about to order a scope but will have to reconsider now. This gun really needs to be dual sighted for the type of hunting I do. I would sooner have only iron sights then have it permanently scoped  I just never considered finding something would be a problem.

I should ask what the actual problem you've encountered in your search. Is it the base itself? 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2007 at 00:09

Kuntao,

That's correct - but I've never done an extensive internet search for them for this model. The companies I typically do business with never have them. But 99% never knew SAKO made a lever gun either, some have even argued it doesn't exist.Shocked  Goes to show they are in the wrong business.

While on the subject, I have a Finnwolf chambered in 7mm-08. All the research shows they only came in 243and 308. Berretta doesn't know much, but said they thought it was a one of a kind prototype. Ever heard of one of these?

Derek

P.s. it is all SAKO factory markings - even on the barrel. (matching #'s)

kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2007 at 08:25

Huntmaster,

An earlier posting by dolphin may have put me on the right track. Warne a very reputable manufacturer makes Q/R bases for the winchester 88 and 100. I'm led to believe that these bases are compatible with the finnwolf. I need to enquire through Warne and if so were in business. These bases and rings are expensive but some of the best you'll find.

So you've got a 7-08. Hard to know if a guy should even take something like that out of the house. Sakos website mentions 4 calibres chambered in the finnwolf. 243  308  358  284 . The last 2 I've never heard anything about. Have you ever went to the sako collectors site and made an enquiry?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2007 at 13:20

Kuntao,

No I've never even thought about a collectors website. But I'll take a look. Let me know what you wind up with from warne.

I'm heading to Kentucky Lake in about an hour for a week of bass fishing. I'll check your post when I get back.

Thanks for the info!

Derek

kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2007 at 17:53

Derek,

Hope the fishing was good.

Apparently warne bases and mounts do fit our finnwolfs. I contacted warne and the service rep told me that they are the same bases as what you would find on the savage with ACCUTRIGGER. So I suppose if you didn't want warne you could look at any base that fit the above. Me I'm going with warne bases and q/r rings  M902 / 902 

Thanks guys for leading us down the right path

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 19:23

Thanks for the info Kuntao,

and the fishing was GREAT !!!!!  Just didn't get enough - maybe I need a month. Wanted to say thanks for the info on Sako owner's club. It's a good sight also. Seems to be some knowledgeable people there. I've stirred up some excitement on the 7-08 Finnwolf.

Derek

kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:26

I'll bet you've stirred them up. You might consider not using that gun for a while until you find out what it's worth. You probably have something very collectible.

As far as the fishing goes, if they gave me a month, I'd want a year.

Later

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 21:30
As far as the fishing goes, if they gave me a month, I'd want a year.

Indeed-   I was needing to go so bad , I was about to fish in my britches

Derek

Edited by HuntMaster
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic