OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

yote hunting long range.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yote hunting long range.
    Posted: May/18/2007 at 19:43
i am going to buy a savage bvss in 308. we have a lot of yotes were i live and most of them just stand in the middel of the field looking at you 800 yards?? i know that the shots wont be easy but i whant the equipment that will handel the job. i was thinking about a super sniper, just dont know what power. or a nikon buckmaster 6x18 taget knobs. or should i be looking at some thing else? lee
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 21:05

A Super Sniper would be the better choice.  And I would recommend either a laser rangefinder and good ballistic table or a laser rangefinder and bullet drop compensator.  Since you will be spinning in frequent dope changes and at long range, a Wind Swag won't hurt either.  Nor would a good 20MOA base.

800 yards is a respectable shot. It'll take practice and a good undestanding of your gear, but it is nice to watch something drop brom 600+ yards.   I'd range 800 yards and do some serious practice. And, with all that spinning in correction, I would recommend you mark your zero well.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 12:17
The SS would be much better than the Buckmaster, hands down.  However, I would consider a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite or Sightron SII in the 16x range, in a variable at the upper end.  With or without a BDC reticle.  For long range hunting I prefer a laser rangefinder and a good ballistics program.  With a quality scope that has repeatable elevation and windage, this will do the trick.  I agree, a wind gauge would be very usefull.  Unfortunately, where you are standing and where the coyote is standing and in between are three different things.  One laser rangefinder that I would recommend, is the Leupold RX IV.  It has the distance capabilities you need and will give you a read out of how much you will have to adjust your scope, 3 different modes, calibrated for multiple calibers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic