OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope dont want marks, what to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope dont want marks, what to use?
    Posted: May/16/2007 at 22:59

Got a new scope. I dont want to have marks on it form the rings. What to use between the body of the scope and the rings?

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 00:36
Just use Burris Signature or Signature Zee rings.  They have plastic inserts and do not leave any marks.

ILya
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 15:39

I use warnes.

I have numerous scopes mounted in them and of the 8 or so that I have removed none of them had a mark of any kind. I think they are about as strong as they get also.

Leupolds seem to be the worst at leaving ring marks.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 16:54

TPS also are great rings that leave no ring marks.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 16:59
Ring marks are the result of misalignment between the two rings, either by alignment problems in the rings themselves or misaligned mount holes in the rifle's receiver.  Both are pretty common to some degree.  Even the most precisely made rings can still cause ring marks if the receiver holes are out of alignment front to back.  The rings with the inserts will solve both problems.  The only way to positively guarantee you won't make ring marks on the scope is to either use the inserted rings or lap rings without the inserts.  If you have a 2-piece base setup without inserted rings, it's a good idea to lap the rings anyway so the scope is mounted stress-free.  Also, simply be careful when installing the rings around the scope tube so that you don't scratch the tube on the leading edges of the gap between the ring halves and the sides of the rings, which can sometimes be rather sharp or have small burrs.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic