OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any Ideas for reloading 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Ideas for reloading 7mm-08
    Posted: May/16/2007 at 14:06

Hey, folks.  Been reading stuff on the OT for a while, but first time posting. 

I purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 7-08 not too long ago and planning to top it with a SS10x42.  I've been looking around to see what options I had as far as reloading when I finally get to the point where I can start and I just wanted to know what you guys here at the OT think. 

Here's what I've been basically trying to plan out.

Bullets - Hornady, Nosler, or Sierra....anything from 140 to 168 gr. (been leaning towards the Hornady 162gr A-Max)

Brass - Winchester, Remington, or Norma

Primers - CCI or Federal (leaning towards CCI)

Powder - thinking Hodgdon or IMR, but I'm open to suggestions

Thoughts?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2007 at 17:39

Welcome, Karrde!

I've found the 7-08 to be pretty easy to load for.

Your best bullet choices will depend entirely on what kind of shooting and/or game animals you're going after.  Since you have an SPS, I'm guessing long range varmint and informal target shooting, but you'll get a better answer if you narrow down the application.  The brands you mentioned all make good bullets, but even among each brand, they all make different bullet designs intended for widely varying applications.  Likewise, the best bullet weight and design will depend on your rifle's barrel twist rate and the type of shooting/hunting you intend to do.

As for brass quality, IMO, Norma is best out of the three you mention, but depending on what you're trying to accomplish with your loads and how much shooting you do, any may work just fine.  Of the other two brands, I haven't been real impressed with Remington brass overall, and Winchester seems to be sorta hit and miss.  Lapua is the best brand of brass I've used, period.

I have no particular primer preference.  I've tried them all and I pretty much just stick with CCI and Federal as you mention.  Since I've tested what potential effect different primers have on the accuracy of my loads and haven't been able to conclusively prove anything one way or another, I don't worry about them anymore and just pretty much pick whichever of these two are in stock and priced less.

The best powder to use is perhaps even more dependent on other factors than even your bullet choice.  The optimal powder and charge weight for your loads depends on what gives you the best "tune" in your rifle, what weight bullet you're using, what velocity you're trying to achieve with a given bullet weight, telltale signs of excessive pressure, etc.  Each rifle is a law unto itself, so you have to try different powders & charge weights, bullets, and seating depths to find out what shoots best out of your rifle.  A powder that produces the best accuracy in a rifle shooting 120 gr bullets is often not the best powder for 160 gr bullets in the same rifle.

In other words, if you can provide more details on the type of game you'll be hunting, or the type of shooting you'll be doing, we can provide you with more specific suggestions, but they should be taken in that context -- just suggestions.  If you ask the same load data questions of 10 different shooters, you'll probably receive 10 different answers, because a load producing superb accuracy in one rifle may suck in another, even one of the same brand, model, and caliber.  Plus, as in every other equipment decision, we all have our own biases and preferences of components that we have confidence in.  So, there are no short cuts and you can't get away from having to tailor your loads to what each individual rifle "likes," which sometimes can take a long time to discover.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2007 at 19:46
i like sierra bullets cheap accurate and i havent ever seen an animal walk away from any i ve ever loaded and shot, primers i have always used cci, but depending on how much you like to clean your primer pockets i have found that federal primers burn way cleaner, but i will continue to use cci just cause i always have, powders i like imr and i like h powder too, in my magnums i am starting to like reloader 19, i would highly suggest that you find out what your twist rate is for your 7-08 depending on what it is may limit your bullet weight selection, as long as you dont have a goofy twist which with a remington is unlikely i would assume you have a 1:10 which according to lilja's twist chart you should be able to use anything from 130-160 with pretty good accuracy anything heavier than 160 you might want to think about a 1:9,if there is one piece of advice that you get from me is this, dont be affraid to experiment with different powder and bullet combos, you never know what the next group you load could bring. good luck
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2007 at 22:59

Thanks for the quick response RD and Pyro.  I guess I should've put in some more information about what I'm thinking of using this for to begin with.

I live in Northern Alabama, so the main things I'd be hunting when I finally get the opportunity would be whitetails and we still see a good deal of varmits around this area (wild dogs).  Other than that, I'd love to be able to spend a good deal of range time to practice my long-range shooting. 

Pyro, if Remington's website is correct, I should have a 9.25 twist.  

RD, I wish Lapua made brass for 7-08 but Norma is the best I can find online...and I've been looking through a lot of sites. 

On bullets, the main choices I was thinking about was the A-max, SST, and Sierra's MatchKing.  I picked up a box of Federals w/140 gr Noslers when I purchased the gun, so I was going to consider those as well, depending on how these hold up.  I've been doing a little bit here and there on Hodgdon's online reloading data center and with Hornady's ballistic calculator.

As far as reloading equipment goes, I like the look of RCBS's starter package.  Any suggestions on that?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 06:40
rcbs makes great stuff and they stand behind it no matter if you are the original owner or the third owner of one of their products, it all i use.if your feeling generous go with redding they make some really good stuff too. that 1:9 twist would be for mainly 150-168 grain bullets according to lilijas chart i have, i cant see that remington would do that though, but if thats what they made then thats what it is, to me mostly anything in the 7mm class shouldnt need anything more than 150 grain bullets anyways, but that's just my opinion, i personally feel that the 140 gr bullet for the .280 7-08 is perfect, maybe step up to the 150 for the magnums.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 12:11
Any load that works in a 308 will work in a 7-08. generally the the 308 cases doesn't have enough room to use much slower powders than those used for 308. Varget , 19, 4895 etc. The factory 140 gr accupoint is a really good load in the 140 gr. V-max workup.
Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 13:09

So, technically, I could play around with .308 loads too.   Okay.

Its still going to be awhile before I can get things put together to start, going to S. Korea at the end of the month with my fiance to visit her brother.  But I do want to get all the information I can for when I do finally get the chance to start.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 13:50

Unofficially of course, but, 45 grs of varget works for the heavier  weight series of any cal. 6, 6.5, 7,7.62 etc.

check www.hodgdon.com  (sp off maybe). as a rule of thumb, loading up through cal. works better, say a load for a heavy 243 bullet, will usually be same in a series up the chain. ( and generally on the mild side)

Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 14:36
I've already been doing some researching using Hodgdon's reloading calculator. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 17:17

FWIW, I've had good luck with IMR4064 powder in both .308 & 7-08.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 21:08
i like 4064 in the 30-06 and my so far its been the most accurate powder in my 6.5 rem mag as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Julian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2007 at 07:38

Remington 700 LVSF 22" barrel with 3-12X56mm 4B reticle. Talley classic 2 piece mounts.

First of all the Meopta scope is the BEST scope that I have ever owned or even looked through! I sold a Schmidt and Bender scope of the same power for this one (paid over $1000 more). I predict Meopta scopes with be priced comparably to other European scopes (Zeiss, Swarovsky, Schmidt&Bender scopes) within the next few years.

LOADS: Loads are max loads for MY rifle showing no signs of high pressure. You should start lower and work your way up to ensure safety.

FACTORY: Federal Fusion 140gr hold just under 1" groups at 100yds.

RELOADS: Remington nickel/brass .308 necked down to 7mm-08

120gr Barnes TSX, 49gr W760 powder, CCI LR200 primers, 2.825 OAL (max length for my magazine), 3040 FPS muzzle, .75" groups @100yds.

139gr Hornady Interbond, 46gr Varget powder, CCI LR200 primers, 2.825 OAL, 3070 FPS muzzle, .50" groups @100yds.

Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 08:30
I've been wondering how difficult it would be to resize .308 cases for 7-08.  I would love to use Lapua brass on my reloads, but I don't believe they've made any in 7-08....so its either resize their .308's or go with Norma's 7-08 cases. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 09:29

Originally posted by Karrde Karrde wrote:

I've been wondering how difficult it would be to resize .308 cases for 7-08.  I would love to use Lapua brass on my reloads, but I don't believe they've made any in 7-08....so its either resize their .308's or go with Norma's 7-08 cases. 

Not difficult at all.  Simpy run a .308 case through a 7-08 FL sizing die, then trim to length.  The only problem is if you own both a 7-08 and a .308 and the safety issues with accidentally firing a 7-08 round made from a .308 case in your .308.  Since there's only a 0.020" bullet dia difference between the two cartridges, and the converted cases would still have the .308 head stamp, it would be easy to get ammo for the two rifles mixed up if you're not careful.

Ted

Karrde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 09:46
I only have the 7-08, so that's not an issue
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2007 at 05:03
If you resize 308 brass to 7mm-08 they will be shorter when done and take several reloadings to stretch out to 7mm-08 mininum trim which is 2.025. They will run about 2.009-2.012 when first formed. Use some dry graphite in the necks so they go thru your dies easy. I just made a bunch from lapua brass myself.

For loads I've found nothing that works as well as the 4350 powders by IMR and Hod. start at about 43 gr. and work up to case capacity if no pressure signs show up. I use 46 gr. and prefer the H4350 due to being less temp effected with the extreme coating. Had best luck with fed 210M primers and 139 hornady inner bonds and nosler BT's.....winchester brass also works very well but takes some case prep to be uniform. Good shooting and experimenting!

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
EPWrangler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPWrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 11:34
I have been resizing LC military brass  with my Lee Classic Turret Press. I lube it with Klein wire pulling wax. Six bucks a quart at Home Depot. I wash them in hot water and dish soap to remove it. It works great.
Native Texan
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 18:09

Some of the loads mentioned in this thread are way over what my Hodgdon and Speer manuals say are max.

For hunting, use hunting bullets, not target bullets.
Winchester, Remington, and Federal brass work fine.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 18:58
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

Some of the loads mentioned in this thread are way over what my Hodgdon and Speer manuals say are max.

For hunting, use hunting bullets, not target bullets.
Winchester, Remington, and Federal brass work fine.

if you use the new nosler manual you will see a good rendition of max loads. some of their loads wont fit in my cases.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2010 at 23:51
Some of the loads mentioned in this thread are way over what my Hodgdon and Speer manuals, and the Nosler website, say are max.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic