OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeroing the SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telsonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeroing the SS
    Posted: May/14/2007 at 16:54
i have a SS in 20x. i was wondering about the turrets and zeroing them in. when i had an M24, i bottomed out the elevation turret, zeroed, then adjusted its position with the allen wrench. is this the same with this SS scope??? what about windage???
11 Bravo
OIF III-IV
Baghdad, Iraq
Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 04:18
Mine came with the turrets centered.
Why do you bottom out before zeroing??
Master Debater
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 14:38

Zeroing is the same,

Scope Mfg's are pretty close with the turrets, so put on 1 and zero at a 100.  Make adjustments with Elevation and Windage.   Once you are zero, slip the rings and re-confirm...

You have the knowledge....

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
telsonman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telsonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 18:56
you bottom it out because you know it wont go any lower. you work up essentially. its pretty easy. lets say you zero at 100yds. well, you are moving up with your zero, assuming you won't zero closer than 100yds, knowing that if you shoot closer, you aim low accordingly. anyway. the M3A scope on my m24 was adjusting for M118 ammo, and thus was marked for 100m-1000m shots, so, when i zeroed at 100m, i bottomed out, then adjusted, and when i was comfortable, i loosened the allen screws, moved it to the 100m setting, and tightened them. for the SS, since its not adjusted for a certain type of ammo, its kind of the same, but with MOA clicks, 1/4 to be precise. bottom it out, and click up. when zeroed at 100, loosen the screws, and move to "0" setting, and you're good to go.
11 Bravo
OIF III-IV
Baghdad, Iraq
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 21:35

Kenton Industries will sell you a BDC for the SS.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Tell him what scope, velocity, projectile, altitude, and temp; he'll make a BDC for that setup.  or, if you have your own data tables, he'll build a BDC with your data.

I own a few of his BDC's and they are dead on (out to 600 yards, that I know of.)

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 21:38
Another issue with the Leupold scope and M3 turrets on the M24 is that on a "zero cant" mount, the optic won't "depress" enough to get a 100M zero. The reason Army snipers "bottom" the elevation prior to zeroing is to check for this condition. If your turret is bottomed at 100 and you are shooting high, you have to shim the mount. I have a McCann 20MOA rail system on mine and it zeros at 100M fine but runs out of "up" travel well before I get to 1000M (around 925M on the turret-M118LR). Some of the M24s I have seen with the "zero cant" Leupold Mark 4 bases have homemade shims (cut up pieces of Coke cans!!) placed under the rear of the scope base just to make the Leupold "zeroable". Your SS, with all its adjustability, won't have these issues. I would set up at 100, pull the bolt out, boresight the optic visually to get "on paper", adjust your groups with the turrets to get Point of Aim/Point of Impact, then remove and reindex the turrets to Zero/Zero. Make sure to bottom the elevation turret and count the number of clicks this requires to avoid getting lost(have I been around 2 or 3 revolutions??)and to be able to get back to your reference point in the dark. WRITE THIS INFORMATION DOWN ON THE WEAPON!! I carry laminated comeup tables in the pouch on the side of my Eagle cheek rest to back up my M3 turrets. With the SS, I would laminate my comeups and 10mph wind shifts from 100-1000 on the weapon. Let's go to the range when I get home!

Have Fun/Semper Fi!
Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Chris8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 03:48
Gents,

I re-read my last post and I even confused myself a little. Just to clarify-if you can't get enough DOWN travel, the front of the base must be shimmed; if you can't get enough UP travel, the rear of the base must be shimmed. For the supplied BDC on the Leupold Mark 4 with M3 turrets to work, a 100M zero must be established. My M24 elevation turret has 60 MOA per revolution. For M118LR, 1000M requires about 45MOA. Mine tops out at 41MOA, even with the 20MOA forward cant rail. Sorry if I confused anyone-

SF

Chris Avery
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 07:12
Not confusing at all, I had a few shots of Booker's neat and the post made perfect sense!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 19:22

Good poop.  Not that I am a sniper.  But I think the concept is to bottom out (or top out?) and then count clicks back to your zero zero.  And put the data on the weapon. 

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic