OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Compact Red Dot Sight...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stump Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Compact Red Dot Sight...
    Posted: May/13/2007 at 23:57

...out of these four would be the most rugged?

Trijicon RedDot
Doctor Optic 3.5 MOA Red-Dot
Pride Fowler Inc. Special Ops Compact LED
Burris 1x FastFire Red-Dot

Trijicon has "name" recognition, Doctor originated the style (from what I can gather), Pride Fowler have some of their sights mounted on military rifles overseas (from the looks of their photos) and Burris has the best price.

They all seem pretty tough for their size, but I'm having trouble finding reviews for these smaller optics. Thinking about putting one on a .308 rifle.

Anyone have any links to reviews or experience with any of these?

Am I missing any other similar sights? (other than the bigger tube designs like aimpoint, tasco and eotech)

THANKS and Take Care,

Stump

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 06:38
I'm trying to think of a reason to put something like that on a .308, what type of application are you talking (scout rifle?  I'd go with a ~2.5x LER for that)?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 12:37

I would expect the Trijicon to be the most durable but I don't have any statistics to back that up.  What is your intended use?

RX05 Trijicon 1x24 Reflex Dual Illuminated Sight                 Trijicon 1x24 Reflex Dual Illuminated Sight
  • 4.3 MOA Amber Dot
SWFA: $259.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 11:48

I have a SOCOM 2 with Aimpoint and couldn't be happier.  I also have an AR with EoTech and couln't be happier.

I had a Trijicon reflex but got rid of it, bright light washes out the reticle - and a flashlight on the rifle for room clearing kills it compeltely.  It depends on what you are doing with the rifle.

From personal experience, I can't recommend any.  But, from personal experience, I'd ask why not Aimpoint or EoTech?

And sandsock, a good forward-mounted scope on a scout or SOCOM is worth every penny.  They aren't precision weapons, but they zero on target qucikly and hit the target with 175-grains of BTHP whoopass.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Stump Buster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stump Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 11:57

My original intent was to put a low mounted Aimpoint on the M1A Bush Rifle, but I saw a few of these smaller systems and realized they would be significantly more low profile. I haven't committed to anything yet, but I want the optic balanced over the reciever, so I'm having a single point base welded onto the clip guide. The gun is intended be used for shots up to approximately 150-200 yards on hogs and larger varmints (I know the rifle will do more, but if I need more precision at distance, I'll use the NM front post or slap a low powered scope onto the rifle.). Just keeping my options open at this point and was looking for any experience with the quality of the above items, that's all.

Thanks.

Take Care,

Stump

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 12:01

The only reason I can think of to put one of these minature optics like the Doctor on a .308 would be to mount it above the high magnification sniper scope for a close combat optic riding piggyback.  ? is the reflex the trijicon model you were originally refering to?   For a bolt gun for hunting I could certainly see putting something like a 2x Aimpoint 9000L on and using that.

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $439.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Stump Buster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stump Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2007 at 23:45

Fellas,

I hope this deosn't come across cold since the internet can make things so impersonal and I'm a new poster, but...

The question was which sight was more durable. I believe we all have our opinions on what "application" different optics are for (and I understand the want to help others pick optics for each other that they feel will "best" serve purpose "X"), but that is a completely separate topic.

The baseline intended purpose of one of these micro sights, as constructed by the manufacturers, is to be mounted on a "firearm". Which firearm and it's intended use is completely up to the user.

I was am simply looking for reviews or people who have had personal experience with the "durability" of these optics. Kinda like asking which engine will run better, a Duramax Deisel or a 5.4l Triton V8. The engines can be mounted in different vehicles to serve different purposes. I just need an engine review.

I'm hope this doesn't read poorly.

Thanks again guys and Take Care,

Stump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2007 at 07:19

Stump,

Your post didn't read poorly; however, in point of fact: anticipated use makes a huge difference: big scopes grab things when they shouldn't, small scopes can be delicate and break when you need them  most,  batteries die at the worst possible time, tritium washes out over time and in bright light, etc,etc,etc.

If this is a range gun, never shot from low light into high light, and never shooting at light-colored objects without contrast, the Trijicon is a good optic.

If your life might depend on the optic working and working well, not having been easily knocked off zero, and fitting the situation - whatever the situation, I'd say Aimpoint or EoTech.

If it's purely a range gun, the Doctor might be a good bet (small, efficient, relative accuracy) - but only in conjunction with something else, not as a stand-alone.

This forum is a mix of benchrest, hunters, professional shooters, and neophytes.  Having been a professional shooter but now a civilian, I tend to think in terms of worst-case.  If you simply want to sit at a bench and punch paper, any of the optics will get that done.  If you might have to take up the rifle in a fight for your life, I'd go aimpoint or eotech.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid
sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2007 at 09:26

Stump,

My apologies....I associate .308 with bolt guns and 7.62 with semis.....I'm in the process of scout mounting a Aimpoint CompM2 on my FN Congo but I'm conflicted in trying to decide on buying the Rail System to do it or spend a little more to convert it to a Para (plus it doesn't help matters that Brownells wants more for one @ gunsmith price than what DSA will sell to me as an individual).  I must agree with Rancid, I'd go Aimpoint or EOTech, even at an entry level, they are combat proven and will withstand most humanly possible abuse (in the back of my mind, any weapon may be one you might have to bet your life on some day).   I think you're smart to be concerned about durability as a semi has the mass of the op rod slamming fwd every time it fires.  I have used the Trijicon Reflex a bit and the amber reticle doesn't seem to be as visible in bright daylight or streetlights as the red (which I'd rate equal to the Airmpoint but behind the EOTech).  Another aspect is whether you want to deal with having the triitium replaced years down the road....I don't mind the hassle for my ACOG but for anything else I'd just as soon keep buying batteries.  I talked to a guy the other day at the range with your exact weapon and a EOTech 510 up top and he said he couldn't be happier.

I have a backburner project to Scout mount a 2.5x optic (haven't found a good deal on one yet...tried to buy the Leupy SWFA posted on ebay off the SL but someone bid almost as much as a new one....idiot...it was really cheap for a while) on a Kimber .308 Swedish Mauser sporter, so that's why I asked the question. 

TEOSK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TEOSK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 03:04
I am in a similar predicament as Stump.  I have a LRT-SASS .308 and was wanting to add a scope for distance, and also have a red dot (or similar) for CQB capability.  Does this seem unreasonable to the masses here?  My rifle will primarily be at home when I am not out practicing or hunting.  But while hunting, I might come across a boar within a 30-70foot radius and a CQB might come in handy when I am staring down a ~350lb beastie.  This has happened before and luckily my friend is quicker than a blink of an eye with this 7mm and dropped the pig about a foot from where it was hit.  Exit wound damaged the hind quarters to shreds, but there was plenty of meat to harvest for the local needy in the area we hunt.  And of course we kept a little for his mother to cook too. ;)
Any advice on a scope combo, if feasible with this type of rifle would be appreciated!  I completely understand that this rifle is meant to reach out and touch, and not for close encounters.
Thanks for any advice everyone!
TEOSK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 15:35

My experience has been that hitting a target out to 300 yards with Aimpoint on a SOCOM ain't too tough.  It's good for close in, it's good for out to 300.  If you want to go further out, I'd recommend 2 optics, one for each task - but having 2 for the sake of 2 seems somewhat unnecessary to me.  And SOCOM isn't intended to be precision, FYI.

As for taking out the hog at close range, I count on these for that task. .454: one of us is dying!

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2007 at 18:48

NEW

11910 Aimpoint Micro H-1 Red Dot Sight                            Aimpoint Micro H-1 Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 4 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Weaver-Style Mount Included
  • Submersible to 15 feet
SWFA: $519.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sliphorn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sliphorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2008 at 08:20
I have experience with the Burris Fastfire, and with the Optima 2000, from which the JRPoint, Docter, Pride Fowler and Burris Fastfire all seem to be derived.  I can not speak to the trijicon as I have not had experience with it, nor do I see it used in the matches I attend.  Another sight you might take a look at is the C-More, a bit more bulky but very popular with competetive handgunners and a sturdy useful piece of equipment.  The original tasco was difficult to sight in, but the second generation was much improved in that respect.  The dots on both the Tasco and Burris are bright enough to be useful in full bright sunlight.  I can't speak from experience on the others, though I examined the Pride Fowler at the NRA convention and it appeared to be quite bright.  I have used both the Tasco and Burris slide mounted on 1911 pistols.  The Tasco was on a 45 using heavy "pin loads" and survived well.  I replace my first one after much use only because the lens had become scratched through careless cleaning.  The Pride Fowler uses a glass lens and aluminum body so that problem should be solved.  The Burris I am using now is mounted on a 38 super/9mm convertible 1911, again mounted on the slide.  The only problem noted in a year of usage is that the side mounted switch will turn off when I am shooting HEAVY 38 super loads.  It slides back to "off" and apparently the sharp jolt when the slide reaches the end of its recoil stroke is just enough to switch it.  It stays on with any 9mm I have shot.  I have kept the sight "on" by using a small piece of scotch tape on the switch.  (Mickey Mouse, but in the middle of a match it works.) The Pride Fowler has the switch mounted on the front of the body and moving transversely rather than lenthways as on the Burris, so I expect this would not be a problem.  For rifle mounting where you are not dealing with the reciprocating slide this shouldn't be a problem.  The other advantage of the Pride Fowler  is that batteries mount from the top.  The others that I am familiar with all require the sight to be dismounted to replace batteries,subsequently the sight must be re zeroed.  For these reasons I am currently planning to go to the Pride Fowler on my 1911 running heavy loads.  From the description of your use I think you are on the right track.  Dots are sturdy and very fast to use, though not as precise as a scope, they beat irons by a lot.  Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic