OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Short Mag Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Short Mag Question
    Posted: May/13/2007 at 14:58

Hello,

I recently purchased a Burris short mag 3x9x32 through the mail.  This scope is not available locally.  I wonder if there is not a problem with it and wanted to ask for opinions from those better informed than me.  Two questions.  One, when I look through the scope, there is a clear light colored ring around the field of view, within the thin dark ring of the scope body.  In other words, I can see the edge of the lens, it looks kind of rough, it seems odd that this seam is so prominent in the view--is this normal?  When I compare this to my Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40, I can see a similar ring only when I have my head incorrectly positioned.  When I compare it to a fixed 4x Marlin scope, I do not see a similar ring.  Two, the eyepiece of this Burris scope screws in and out--I assume this is for adjusting focus--but it looks as if the piece screws all the way out, which seems odd since the scope is nitrogen filled--wouldn't removing the eyepiece leak out the nitrogen and allow the scope to fog?  Forgive me if these are naive questions, I've only used fixed power scopes until very recently and am unfamiliar with these new exotic (but fun) variables.

Sincerely,

Dock 

Edited by Dock
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2007 at 17:38

Welcome to OT, Dock!

I don't have this particular scope so I can't comment from experience, but I do have a 4.5-14X32 Short Mag and I can't say I've seen this ring you're talking about.  Is it always present regardless of light conditions or whether or not the scope is pointed toward the general direction of the sun?  If not, this may just be flare from insufficient baffling, lens coatings, and overall design.  Keep in mind that anytime a scope is made to be extremely compact in proportion to its magnification, there are probably optical tradeoffs involved, sometimes serious tradeoffs.  Often "compact" model scopes have very critical eye relief and optical aberrations in exchange for their extreme compactness.  The SM series is no exception from what I've seen.  They are serviceable scopes, but are a definite step below the Fullfields and Sig Selects optically.

As for the eyepiece, yes the threaded connection is for adjusting reticle focus.  It has o-ring seals to prevent nitrogen loss, and you will achieve proper focus without getting close to unscrewing the eyepiece and breaking the seal, keeping in mind that it uses an extremely fine pitch thread. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2007 at 18:54

RifleDude,

I'm obliged for your response.  I was just shooting with this scope for the first time and am of two minds about it.  On the one hand, it IS picky about head position, especially at 9X.  A good focused view seems to me hard to obtain, particularly when zooming up or down.  On the other hand, the view is very clear and crisp when you do get it and the size of the scope is more of a plus than I would have anticipated, it does wonder for the handling of the rifle (a savage 11fl .308).  I'm trying to decide whether to keep this or trade for something more traditional.  I just don't know yet.

I can make the ring go away with proper head positioning--it makes sense that it's just a function of the scope's compressed optics.  I see the same thing in Bushnell 3x9, it's just less prominent.

Someone has already entirely unscrewed this eyepiece.  I suppose I'll have to send it to the factory to get it repurged.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic