OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem358 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Binos
    Posted: May/08/2007 at 05:56
I have a set of Leupold Katmai 8X32. If I want a better Binocular what will $800 buy ? How good are the Kahles ? I hunt and also have a lot of bird/squirrel feeders on my property that I enjoy watching. I am not interested in being told to save up some more money. $800.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 08:04

Rem358 -

Welcome to the forum.  $800 is a really great price point in my opinion, because you can get an awesome pair of binoculars for that amount of money without spending 2X on the really expensive stuff.

I have tried Kahles and they are good (they are owned by Swarovski), although I think they make much better scopes.  People who own them really like them though.  However, I did not buy them.  I own a pair of Minox (used to be owned by Leica) HGs that you would be able to pick up for about $750 or so.  I think they are excellent and are my favorite pair in the sub-$1,000 class.  The only shortcoming is a relatively narrow field of view (~320 ft. in an 8.5X), but they make up for it with edge sharpness, which I think is better than my Swarovski ELs.

There are other really great options from Bushnell (Elite), Vortex (Razor), Meopta (Meostar), etc. but I don't own any of them so I'll let others speak to them with their particular experiences.

Best of luck.  It's a crowded price point so you'll have lots of options.  Will in all likelihood just come down to what is most important to you (field of view, weight, coloration, low-light viewing, etc.)

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 09:33

Of all the binos within this price bracket that I've personally used, the best I've seen have been the Vortex Razor, if you like the open bridge design, i.e. Swaro EL.  I believe they provide optical performance equal to $1200+ binos for about $700.  Do a search and read the reviews on this binocular.  Everyone here who owns or has owned one has agreed the optics are phenomenal for the price!

I have the Kahles as well.  It is a good binocular, but quite frankly, the Razor blows it away in terms of resolution, CA, color, light transmission, depth of field, and field of view.  In fact, the 8X42 Razor has one of the widest FOV (7.8 deg / 410' @ 1000 yd) of any 8X roof prism bino on the market.  I have looked through the Meopta Meostar as well and agree it is a very good bino.  It is priced similarly to the Razor, maybe a little more, and thought I haven't done a head to head comparison, it seems to provide very similar optical performance, though it's heavier than the Razor and has a very slight yellow color bias.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 12:56

do you want to stay w/ compact? or just performance?

if compact, i would reccomend the steiner nighthunter, or predators.

if not, i would highly reccomend fujinon polaris 7x50's - they are ridiculously good for around 600.

also, the meopta meostar binos are quite good for the money - top notch optics for the money.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 15:05
Rem358,

It would help if you were more 'specific' as to what you mean by "a better binocular".

Do you want more magnification?

Are you just wanting the same 8x power, but with bigger aperture?

Do you need a greater FOV for hunting?

What, if anything, are you dissatisfied with in the Leupold Katmai 8x32?

Edited by Bird Watcher
Rem358 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem358 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 21:09
I want better resolution. A little more power could be nice. I do like the size of the Katmai, but relize I might have to accept a few more ounces. The field of view that I have is acceptable. I feel like these could be a little sharper.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2007 at 17:36
Take a look at www.vortexoptics.com and click on products, then click on binoculars, take a look at the Razor models.

They have an 8.5x50 and a 10x42. If you find one that looks interesting, do a google search for prices.
CHenry View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2007 at 10:42
I agree about the Vortex Razors and Meopta Meostars. At the $700-800 price point these are the ones to beat (I doubt any others can).

The Meoptas compare very well with the Swarovski SLCnew binoculars, which is remarkable since they cost $600 less (street prices, both).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic