OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS16x42 on a savage 10fp questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telsonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS16x42 on a savage 10fp questions
    Posted: May/07/2007 at 16:46

ok, so this is my set up, but i'm wondering what type of mount and rings i should use to post this scope with. i was thinking the leupold mark 4 base and rings, but i'm not sure what height rings. i was guessing the medium height. any ideas???

also, is there another type of base and rings that are just as good as the leupold mark 4s, without the high pricetag???

thanks

11 Bravo
OIF III-IV
Baghdad, Iraq
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 17:17

We used Burris Xtreme Tactical on our "Project Savage" rifle and they worked fine.

Read this thread and click on the link Brady posted to the auction (it has pics).

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5609&KW=ch ris

Burris Xtreme Tactical Low 30mm Rings #420160
Burris Xtreme Tactical two piece all steel base #410615

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 17:38

telsonman, your avatar is Army, correct?  Doesn't it mean you shot at something without hitting yourself or your fellow soldiers?

I am good friends with a West Point grad and he hates it that Amry gets a badge for throwing a frag whereas Marines just throw the frag and move on - no need for badges or accolades.

Also, this I know: in the Army they teach you to wash your hands after you use the toilet; in the Marines, they taught us not to pee on our fingers.

Welcome to the OT.

And, though they cost more, Badger will never let you down.  You can buy decent gear and probably buy again in a few years or Cowboy Up and buy once.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
telsonman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telsonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 18:52

yeah, its army. the avatar is kinda screwed up and i don't know how to fix it. it needs to be pulled horizontally. the whole pee joke was taught to me opposite, i don't pee on my hands, unless of course i get that occasional splatter from the urinal. as for the badge, the combat infantrymans badge is given to infantrymen who engage the enemy in combat. thats about it. as far as marines go, i know they have the combat action ribbon, which is given to them for basically the same thing. so there. but anyway, the CIB was given to infantry, because we tend to do more things than other MOS's. They have recently given out a new combat action badge to other MOS's. i personally think only a couple MOS's like scouts and tankers should get that, but instead everyone that sees a mortar explode gets one.

well, i think i'm going to buy the leupold mark 4 base and rings, but i don't know which height of ring i need to get to clear the objective lens.

11 Bravo
OIF III-IV
Baghdad, Iraq
Brownie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 19:14
telsonman, I have a Savage 10 FCP and a Super Sniper 10X42mm. I mounted mine with a Warne 1 piece rail and Burris Extreme Tactical low rings. Very nice set up and you still have enough clearance to put on Butler Creek flip-ups if you desire, I like mine. As for Leupold mounts, I do not buy any Leupold products including their scopes because I think they are way over priced for what they are. Just my oppinion.
telsonman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telsonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 20:02
what is the deal with the burris extreme tactical stuff??? i've always known for burris to be kind of low quality, but have they changed something???
11 Bravo
OIF III-IV
Baghdad, Iraq
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 21:30

Burris is making some pretty good stuff now, I know little about the mounts but some about the scopes.

The low mounts should work fine, the mediums will for sure. Leupold makes decent stuff, but as otehrs ahve siad, there are other good options and usually cheaper options.

Don't take the jab personally.  I spent many a night on an Army base in an e-club with a Marine Corps t-shirt on.  It's almost as much fun as telling a squid how much we like the Navy; when there's a fight, they always give us a ride.

Be as safe as war allows.  And always remember: shooting fast and shooting well ain't the same!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2007 at 12:56

I have standard leupold base and rings on my Savage 20 in with 10x SS and it is working fine.  Of course I would rather have Badger rings and base.  Badger Ordnance rings are the best and I have them on my PSS with Leu Mk4 and will have them on my GAP gun.

Leupold Mark4 rings are not even a consideration. If you cant afford Badgers the Burris rings should work ok, or Warne rings seem to be quite sturdy or

410546 Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base                         Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base
  • Matte
  • Savage 10 / 110 (Long or Short Action)
SWFA: $17.95
More Info... Buy Now
420583 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 30mm Rings                 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $49.95
More Info... Buy Now
410588 Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base                         Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Base
  • Matte
  • Savage 10 / 110 (Long or Short Action)
SWFA: $17.95
More Info... Buy Now

The top base is round reciever the bottom if for flat reciever. With dual dovetail it will never work its way loose side to side like standard rings or rings secured by a bolt. With the signature rings the plastic insert will prevent marks and damage to the scope. I am using this system on several guns including a 45-70 pistol with extreme recoil and it works very well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tbartley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbartley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2007 at 10:18

Here's .02 more for ya...as far as the Burris XTR rings, I've got two sets w/ SS10x42 in both and they are excellent IMHO.  On my 10FP, I've got a Farrell 20moa base and low Burris XTRs with room for the Butler Creek caps and even with my meager abilities, the rifle will shoot .5moa.  If I can find used Farrell 20moa at a reasonable price, I'll buy it.  They're steel and very well made. 

Good shooting everyone!

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2007 at 20:09

Ditto on Burris XTR rings.  Have used them on an Rem 700 with the SS and will use them tomorrow to mount my new IOR on my new FN Patrol Rifle.

Pics as soon as I get them.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Jessz1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2007 at 22:02
I bought my Farrell 20moa base on ebay for around 50 bucks shipped. Nice piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic