OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swift Scirocco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 19:09
i disagree with you there, the sierra bullets have never failed to kill any animal in my family for 50 yrs now, everything from pdogs to moose have fallen from one well placed sierra bullet, i can say that bullets like the ballistic tip blow huge holes in animals and waste a lot of meat if they hit any bone at all, i really hope my accubonds dont act like the ballistic tip as well. i enjoy the price and the quality that you get from the bullets in the green box. hard to beat in the accuracy dept as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 19:41
a lot of animals have fallen from a cave man throwing a rock or big stick     i will say you are right those bullets are fine bullet many camp perry matches have been won with sierra and swift bullet do cause massive destruction    really to me if its accuate and depedable ill shoot it

Edited by x2hunt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 22:24
dont get me wrong i dont think swift is bad but the price for a deer bullet doesnt need to be $50 for 50 bullets
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 22:41

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i disagree with you there, the sierra bullets have never failed to kill any animal in my family for 50 yrs now, everything from pdogs to moose have fallen from one well placed sierra bullet, i can say that bullets like the ballistic tip blow huge holes in animals and waste a lot of meat if they hit any bone at all, i really hope my accubonds dont act like the ballistic tip as well. i enjoy the price and the quality that you get from the bullets in the green box. hard to beat in the accuracy dept as well.

I haven't killed anything with Accubonds yet, but I believe that they were designed for heavier game than the Ballistic Tips. They are bonded of course and have a thicker jacket if I'm not mistaken. Looking forward to trying them.

x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 22:54
no your right they are high $ but if you look at my thread on the bc swift sroc. have the highest ballistic coefficient of all even 6.5mm   accubond 130gr .488 bc, sierra 130gr .436 bc,   barns 130gr .363 bc,    (Swift 130gr .571 bc)

Edited by x2hunt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 06:31
bc doesnt mean much to me i care more about s.d than anything i dont shoot stuff thats a long way away cause i dont live in an area where its possible to do
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 16:44
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I haven't killed anything with Accubonds yet, but I believe that they were designed for heavier game than the Ballistic Tips. They are bonded of course and have a thicker jacket if I'm not mistaken. Looking forward to trying them.

Correct, the ABs are designed for slightly heavier applications than Ballistic Tips.  ABs are bonded core, BTs are not.  The ABs are very similar to Swift Sciroccos, but I believe the Scirocco is designed for more controlled expansion than AB.  The AB seems to be designed for just the right rate of expansion on "medium" sized game.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 19:15
the expansion rates may differ but the weight retentions i bet are both about 60-75%
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 19:54
swift says 90% barns say 99% the swift i pulled out of a deer was about 75% but not bad for a shoulder shot 140gr 7mm
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 19:58
swift a frame may be 90% i am pretty sure the scirocco isnt anywhere near that, the barnes bullet is basically a solid copper slug
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:06
realy i think the scirocco is there bad boy its bonded i think there both bonded that bullet weighed 90gr that i recovered thats why i must stand behind them but i cant say they are better than the next
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:10
the a-frame is quoted at 95% and the scirocco is 70% and i have no doubt that they make a great bullet but i can buy a lot of accubonds and a ton of sierras for $50
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:14
very trueScirocco II ®

Swift Scirocco II– Long-Range Accuracy, All-Range Reliability.

The NEXT GENERATION Scirocco II, with the Signature Black Tip™, has exactly the same profile, both inside and out. All load data and bullet specifications remain the same as the original. It is a superbly accurate and sleek hunting bullet designed for long-range efficiency. It carries velocity and energy downrange better than any previous hunting bullet while producing the flattest trajectory due to its high ballistic coefficient. A perfect match for long-range cartridges, the Scirocco II produces positive expansion at minimal velocity. The bonded core Scirocco II retains upward of 80 percent of its weight.
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:15
pyro have you tried any (combined tech) yet
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:16
ok but they are still $50 for 50 bullets for whitetail deer thats way to much bullet
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:20

ok but they are still $50 for 50 bullets for whitetail deer thats way to much bullet
    now that you said that it is kind silly
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:22

Originally posted by x2hunt x2hunt wrote:

pyro have you tried any (combined tech) yet

this is the first year in my life when another bullet company other than sierra will be in the field with me, the nosler accubond will be in my 6.5 rem mag this year as a fluke once i tried some ballistic tips i borrowed from a buddy and they blow a huge hole in a mule deer i shot and i didnt do that again, i have always used sierra bullets in every gun every caliber but the 130 gr ab's shoot so well in my 6.5 that i couldnt ignore it, but my 280 and my 300wsm still use the sierra prohunter

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:24

Originally posted by x2hunt x2hunt wrote:

now that you said that it is kind silly

really it is i can buy 100 sierras and they would last me for a few range sessions and cost me 25$ i pay 50$ for a box of swifts and that could be gone in one range session, and like i said i have had nothing but success stories about sierra bullets one shot one kill every time every animal.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:35
iv leared that not allways will one brand of bullet will shoot in all guns but if you can stick with one company thats cool
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2007 at 20:38
i tried the ab's in my 280 and they were the same weight as the sierras but they shot all over the paper, the sierras shot very well right off the bat in my 300wsm so i havent touched them. i started out with 120 gr sierra prohunters with my 6.5 and they shot so-so but i got the idea to try a heavier bullet and other than the 129 gr hornady the ab seemed like a reasonable choice so i bought some loaded up a few guesses and wam i got lucky.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic