OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swift Scirocco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swift Scirocco
    Posted: May/07/2007 at 10:22

Has anyone used this bullet in 180 gr in a 300wm and how did it hold up.

If you had a choice of nosler bt ,hornaday sst or the swift scirocco which would you use?

Thanks

Big

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 11:02
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Has anyone used this bullet in 180 gr in a 300wm and how did it hold up.

If you had a choice of nosler bt ,hornaday sst or the swift scirocco which would you use?

Thanks

Big

It depends on what critter you'll be shooting with it.  For larger animals, I'd go with the Scirocco over either the BT or the SST, but for really big game, I wouldn't personally use any of the above.

BT is fine for deer sized game and slightly larger.  SST seems to be slightly tougher than BT.  Scirocco is supposedly designed for animals up to and including elk, moose, etc.  A buddy of mine used a 180 Scirocco in a .300 Ultra Mag on a Auodad sheep and wasn't pleased with its performance.  He said the bullet broke into several pieces and failed to penetrate all the way through on a broadside shot and the Auodad ran a fair distance.  FWIW, Auodad can be pretty tough and, according to him, the shot distance was nearly 500 yards.

I have never personally used Sciroccos, so I'm only going by that one account.  However, just based on its construction as seen in the cross-section view, I would have no problem using it on large deer, black bears, etc., as it is simlar in design to the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, and SST (except, I'm not sure the SST has a bonded core).  In general, I feel more comfortable using a stouter bullet design on elk, having shot one with an SST and being unsatisfied by its performance.  SSTs, Accubonds, and BTs have worked very well on deer for me, but the SST completely blew apart and didn't exit the elk, despite a broadside shot at 90 yards.  It took 3 shots to finally bring him down.  This was a 180 gr. SST in a .300WM.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 11:11

Ted,

I will maily be useing them for deer sized game.If i'm able to go after a moose i was going to use a gameking.But thats another challenge.

I'm just looking for a good BT bullet that will hold together fairly well under 300 yards.i have use the nosler and the sst and have had good results with them but as always looking for something a little better.

I seen them and the looked stronger than the sst and noslers but was looking for more info on them.

Thanks for the info.

Big

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 15:34

Bigdaddy,

For deer, they should work very well!  I would also add the Nosler Accubond to that list as well.  It is a similar design to the Scirocco, Intended for exactly the same applications, but doesn't cost quite as much.  I have had very good success, both in terms of accuracy and terminal performance on deer and hogs with the Accubond.  I highly recommend this bullet for deer and other medium sized animals!

The Scirocco should actually hold together better than a GameKing on large animals though.  It has a thicker jacket and a bonded core.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RED DOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED DOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2007 at 21:50
Smile I DON'T MEAN TO CONTRADICT ANYONE, BUT I SHOT THE WINCHESTER 140 GRAIN ACCUBOND IN A 7MM WSM BROWNING SHORTRAC AND IT WOULD CUT THE BULLET HOLES ON A THREE SHOT GROUP EVERY TIME, BUT  I DIDN'T LIKE THE PERFORMANCE ON THE WHITETAILS I SHOT WITH IT. HOWEVER ON THE OTHER HAND, I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING THE 150 GRAIN SWIFT SCIROCCO IN MY A-BOLT 300 REM ULTRA MAG. FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAVE SHOT DEER FROM 35 YDS. TO 370 YDS. AND HAVE HAD COMPLETE PASS THROUGHS ON EVERYONE. NONE RUNNING MORE THAN 50 FEET. I LIKED THEM SO WELL, THAT BASS PRO PUT THE 270 WSM 130 GRAIN SWIFT SCIROCCOS ON CLOSEOUT BECAUSE REMINGTON QUIT LOADING THEM IN A FACTORY LOAD(I WOULD APPRECIATE EVERYONE CALLING REMINGTON AND ASKING THEM TO REINSTATE THE 270 WSM 130 GRAIN SWIFT SCIROCCO) THAT I WENT AND BOUGHT A BROWNING SHORTRAC IN A 270 WSM. I SHOT 11 DEER FROM 40 YDS TO ABOUT 175 YDS. EVERYONE DROPPED IN THERE TRACKS. FOUR OF THESE WERE JUMPED AND RUNNING FULL BLAST. PULLED THE TRIGGER AND THEY ROLLED.  I DON'T RELOAD, BUT IF I DID THE SCIROCCO IS THE ONLY BULLET I WOULD LOAD. THE DEER THAT I SHOT AT 370 WITH THE ULTRA MAG WAS SHOT RIGHT IN THE FLANK ON THE LEFT SIDE AND IT EXITED BETWEEN THE FRONT SHOULDER AND THE NECK ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE.
SHORTTRAC
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 06:25

Ted,RD,

thanks for the info.That was just what i was looking for.I'm now going to get a few 100 and try them.

While we are talking about bullets.This weekend i'm going to do phone book test.Has any one done this?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2007 at 14:18
Hi, Red Dog!  When you say you didn't like the performance of the Accubond, what exactly do you mean -- expansion, penetration, etc.?  For all practical purposes, the Accubond and Scirocco are nearly identical design-wise, so what one will do, the other should do equally as well, provided both bullets are of the same weight.  Both are tapered jacket, bonded core, plastic tipped boattail bullets with high B.C.
Ted

x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 17:49
i pulled a 140 gr Scirocco 7mm mag bullet out of a 65 lb doe i had taken at 150 yd it went through her shoulder when i found it i weighed it at 98 grs not bad. it had about a 3/4 inch long piece of copper with the lead bonded to it that stuck out the side of what was left of the bullet and was very sharp and nasty awesome bullet. some might say that's not enough weight retention but it did go through sold bone!

Edited by x2hunt
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 18:40

Red Dog, I second Ted, let us know what displeased you about the Accubond. I have been pretty conservative with my bullet choices. I have used Sierra GameKing for deer and Partition and Bear Claw for the big stuff. I would like to know more about the middle ground concerning bullet construction.

Thanks,

Doug

x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 19:01
nosler, swift , sierra , hornady, they all have fine bullet and have came along way i think they all have a bonded bullet of some kind. what you can do if you want to see a bullet expansion is to get a bullet stop witch can be made very easy and fill it full of wet news paper (stacked) that works great and you can go down to a local meat market a get a pig shoulder put some news paper in front of it about 10 and have fun seeing how different bullets expand
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 20:18
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Ted,RD,

thanks for the info.That was just what i was looking for.I'm now going to get a few 100 and try them.

While we are talking about bullets.This weekend i'm going to do phone book test.Has any one done this?

Years ago some buddies and I got ahold of a truckload of leftover phone books, made a sturdy frame to hold them and went at it with everything from .22 rimfires on up through the various .300 magnums, and from 20 yards to 275 yards. It was a lot of work, a lot of fun and very educational. I highly recommmend doing it!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 20:42
what i dont get about swift bullets is they are so damn expensive, and really the bullets they make arent really all that different from nosler partition and accubond.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 21:37

It is only an impression but I think the Scirocco would be similar to the Accubond. The A-Frame is obviously a bonded core version of the Partition/H Mantle bullet. I have never seen a recovered A-Frame but they are pile drivers that can smash through bone and keep on going. My friends and I no longer load them or Bear Claws for deer.

Regarding the Scirocco, and boat tail hunting bullets in general, I think it would be hard to beat the all around performance of the Sierra GameKing. They are very accurate and all the bullet ever needed for deer unless you are using a .223.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 21:43
i am currently using 140 gr game king bt's in my .280 and 130gr ab's in my 6.5 and 180gr prohunters in my 300wsm. i cannot wait to shoot a deer with those ab's 2 weeks to go and i will find out.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 23:16
has anyone seen the 50ht anniversary 280   Remington   is making only this year! has an engraved floor plate they stop production in dec this year

Edited by x2hunt
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 23:47
the swift has a much thicker copper jacket than the gameking both are bonded its just preference but swift is far superior but they don't have much of a selection

Edited by x2hunt
x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2007 at 23:50
gameking              swift nosler e tip barns        accu                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             284 cal. 150gr, game king .436 bc ,   nosler accubond .485 bc ,   nosler partition .434 bc,   barns mrx .439 bc    Scirocco II .515 ballistic coefficient    all are 150gr 284 cal. i cant get bc on the e tips yet , but for now swift is putting on the smack down!

Edited by x2hunt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 07:31

Originally posted by x2hunt x2hunt wrote:

has anyone seen the 50ht anniversary 280   Remington   is making only this year! has an engraved floor plate they stop production in dec this year

oh yeah  i wish i would have seen that rifle before i bought the .280 i have now, that grey lam is sweet

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 10:13

Originally posted by x2hunt x2hunt wrote:

the swift has a much thicker copper jacket than the gameking both are bonded its just preference but swift is far superior but they don't have much of a selection

Hmmmm.... I didn't know that the Gameking was of bonded construction. Have they always been? 

x2hunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2007 at 18:06
no i stand corrected!   i assumed that their hunting bullet would be! most everyone does have a bonded bullet. I'm kinda disappointed I'm glad you pointed that out. they are a two part bullet ,well knowing that now which one would you trust to take down that once in life time buck! iv seen the aftermath swift leave behind they show no mercy!!! instead of calling it Scirocco II they should call it the grim reaper

Edited by x2hunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic